Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 10:47 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
too funny.

where is the OP now? I almost think this woman is a 'theoretical person" used to start a controversy. But either way the OP seems to have vanished with all our suggestions.
I asked several times what city she lives in and I betcha i could find something for her. House cleaning etc all good options when all else fails.

Also like I said cooking, cleaning, shopping for an elderly or disabled person. I have a unemployed friend who is going back to school and she just started lookimg and got a job at an Aldies, or Albies? not sure the name but it is a Grocery store. There are jobs. Maybe not glamerous high paying ones but better than unemployment.

When I was just out of school and I moved to Vermont I cleaned rooms at an Inn I waitressed, worked as a patient care tech at a hospital, and I even held up signs for a road work repair crew! Instead of unemployment.
You're right.

The OP has posted other similar threads in the Work and Employment Forum.

I'm sorry to say it but from their posts it seems that they don't really want advice or a job -- they want welfare.

I agree. Anyone can get a job that wants one. It may not be the kind of work that they want but there are jobs out there.

Using their weight as an excuse for their unemployment seems to be a revealing statement.

If this person is morbidly obese, maybe they should lose weight and quit feeling sorry for themselves.

I feel sorry for them for their present situation but it sounds to me as though there is some personal responsibility that is missing here...

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-17-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
This seems fiction to me actually. For one thing I can not believe the Op doesn't assist her with find a socail service program in her area.here i live their is socail services preogram that direct such people in even normal times. Cathloic charties runs a food services like a cafeteria that serves two meals a day to anyone who walks i the doo. There are red cross shelters ;a Miissions attis its called that can cloth anyone; food bank and certainly unemployemnt that can find work as well as jobs centers to help.Griping about the rich does no good uless you look at where the meney for much of the non-goveranmnt programs comes from;certainly most from people of means. But it isn't just their responsibilty in a community nor can federal programs reach all and serve all. Sounds to me like a communtiy problem from a lack of community services avilable beyonf federally supported programs.
Then lookigat the 700+ billion dollar stimulus rasing the riches tax isn't going to help if that is not direct at people like her by this administrartion. I find it strange thatit says unemployment is the best way to stimulus but they don't direct any stinulus fund to people like her.It souds like even local governamnt there who has gotten alot fo it isn't either. Here their are work force centers and moreunemployent service than normal to match people with jobs.If this is just a post to complian about governamnt services its better diracted at those who have the moeny already. There is not likely to be another 700+ billion program of money left to a adfminsitraton to direct. This gripe is IMO a complain best directed that congress and the administration on the spending of that vast amount of aid money.We will be paying for deacdes to elminate that type of spending we ned to wander just why she is getting any at all good from it.The communiy where she lives also need s to take a look at its services.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:50 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
Nitsu, is she in a city or rural? If so, where is she?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:55 AM

It sounds as though the OP needs to find a real live Support Group of some kind in her area so that she can begin to look at her situation from a different perspecitve.

Overeaters Anonymous might be a good place to start.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:59 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post
If your 86-year-old "granny" is working simply because she likes to and not out of need, then she is taking a job from people who desperately NEED TO WORK. Aren't you ashamed? Find granny some hobbies and take her home. If she is so bored, she could be doing volunteer work to keep her busy as well as making a valuable contribution to society.

86-year old granny working at Home Depo. I wonder WHY I have not seen this "army" of geriatric workers out there? 74, year olds, 70 year olds and even 86 year old grannies?
Now you are trying to "shame" this poster and maybe you haven't seen her because you are home on the computer slamming people or watching tv
From your posts I am learning WHY people are home collecting for all of those weeks.
They like it.
Go do some shopping for one of those elderly people with bodies that have given out and do it at no charge.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:02 AM

640 posts, read 388,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Nitsu, is she in a city or rural? If so, where is she?
I have no idea where that specific person is. However, I don't doubt there there could be people like her all over the country.

As for moving, if such a woman existed, how could she afford to "move"? Have you checked moving expenses lately? And maybe this person lives with a friend. No one said whether or not this woman had a car. If she does, then it costs money to drive. I suppose she could move to a new location to take a job, however, most employers want their employees to have an address locally, or she could, I guess, move and live in her car. The options for a person like this are pretty few, imo.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:06 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
She can thank the repubs for that. Apperantly they believe that everyone who has no job is just lazy.

Or maybe she could thank the dems for our expanded gov't that wastes hard earned taxpayer money. If half the country wasn't on the public dole maybe there would actually BE money for unemployment. And when Obama gets done there will even be less jobs to go to. With all the stipulations he is putting on businesses even the low paying jobs will disappear or go part time.

Until the Federal Government operates like a business they should not tell businesses how to operate. When businesses run out of money they go under, get it? No jobs.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:07 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
First, she should contact her local social services to identify her options. It doesn't sound like she ever sought higher education or training if she's only qualified for the low-paying jobs that you've mentioned. As soon as she gets herself situated, that would be my next suggestion. Usually there are educational opportunities available to increase her long-term plans.

People, go to school, get training, stop relying on low-paying, low-skill jobs. They are not going to come back.
Higher education doesn't always help with finding work. All too often a person goes to college, works hard, and then earns that degree and are still UNEMPLOYED after months of job searching. Sometimes an individual may find themselves worse off with the degree because now the restaurants use the overqualified label and now the unemployed person is further in debt.

If a person goes to college, then they need to do some serious research and make sure their major is in high demand. Otherwise, they are wasting their time.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:07 AM

Elder care positions are available in every town. Some of these positions pay pretty well, too.

Caring for others less fortunate might help the OP see things in a different perspective, as well.

It sounds as though they're feeling like they're all alone....

Old 07-17-2010, 11:08 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times
Maybe she could babysit. They make good money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies