Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 12:54 PM

640 posts, read 388,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but speaking as a 50-something woman who has some experience with looking for work, I know it's all about a support network. I've had people live with me when they had no place else to go, I know my friends and family (even extended family...cousins I rarely see) would extend me the same. She also would need to make herself attractive to employers and that might include loosing wieght and highlighting whatever skills she has picked up during her 50+ years on earth. Nobody gets to that age on their own without knowing how to do SOMETHING. She should broaden her social network too.

While a story like this makes me feel sad there have been stories like this since the beginning of time and nobody demanded that we extend UE benefits forever. That's what welfare is for and that's a topic for a different thread.
Not all extended family, cousins, etc., are willing to help these days. Also, seems to me that this woman may not have much of a support network. Maybe that support network might be asking this question online to try to find some new ideas? Most likely she cannot find a job because the "Something" she learned how to do is not in demand.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:55 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Sure, it is sad not to have any family, on the other hand that makes her free to go wherever she wants. Some people might envy her her freedom.
Maybe she could get into nursing, that's in demand if I am not mistaken
There are also projects where one can work for half a year as an intern, maybe board and lodging. Still better than living on the street from which there often is no return.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:56 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post
Funny. I thought the Bankers destroyed our economy

We're not talking about "prosperity" in this thread. We are talking about older people with no family who at this moment are in dire circumstances because they are unemployed and cannot find a job.

I think your response is a bit off topic. How can we as a society deal with the coming crisis of older people without jobs, no income, no prospects of a job, being homeless people on our streets? Is there ANYTHING we can do?
It wasn't just bankers that destroyed our economy. Where did you get that?

People living outside their means had a lot to do with it. Enforcing the laws of our country (illegals) would open the job market back up.

But you don't seem to want people to have to work. You seem to think the govt should just hand everyone a check.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:59 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
Quote:
I guess most people live with the illusion that adult children will help their parents with their physical survival needs in their old age if they need it. My impression was that this woman had no children and therefore no one to help her out, as well as no siblings and her parents had died. So she is basically without any family whatsoever. Most people think of family as the people to help someone in such dire circumstances.

Stop thinking in terms of ONE woman. This could be many, many people in this country right now. The question is how do WE solve this type of problem. You are getting hung up on a belief that this is one person trying to get "something" out of you guys on the Internet. It is not. It is a fact of life these days, and we are all going to have to deal with situations like this in the very near future in our society.
(waiting for more polish to dry)
Maybe the answer is in the part of the healthcare package that hasn't been exposed yet?
They will be offered the shot.
But until they croak, in answer to a post up there.
The elderly go to a mom and pop type of business or a business that is established because they have learned that younger people will take time off for many things. Hangovers for one, dates for another and they have learned the value of being able to depend on someone.
You have that option until obama puts them out of business.
Off to work now!

Old 07-17-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am not convinced she can't find a job.

My fifteen year old makes $65 dollars on Saturday afternoon cleaning the vet's dog kennels.

BTW, we are in Michigan.
Why are you not convinced she cannot find a job? Is that because you "believe" every person who wants a job in this country can find one?

If that is true, then why have the unemployment numbers shot up so dramatically in the past couple years? As I've asked already, do you think that all those unemployed people just got together and decided to get themselves fired or laid off so they could live on barely subsistance income for the next 93 weeks?

I believe that the unemployment numbers actually disprove your belief in the myth that today, in 2010, EVERY PERSON WHO WANTS A JOB CAN FIND A JOB. There are NOT enough jobs to go around.

Your son cleans your vet's dog kennels. Do you think your vet would hire a 50-something yr old woman to clean his/her dog kennels on Saturdays, especially if he didn't know her. clearly the fact that the your son is cleaning YOUR vet's dog kennels suggest some "networking" there. You take your pets to that vet, and that vet hires your son.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
It wasn't just bankers that destroyed our economy. Where did you get that?

People living outside their means had a lot to do with it. Enforcing the laws of our country (illegals) would open the job market back up.

But you don't seem to want people to have to work. You seem to think the govt should just hand everyone a check.
No, you're projecting what you think "liberals" advocate onto me. I have not suggested that the "govt should just hand everyone a check." Please stop being so extreme!

WHATEVER these older people may or may not have done in their youth, it is over now, it is past. You cannot change the past. The question is, can you let human beings simply get old, live on the streets in cardboard boxes, beg for food or starve, die from exposure in the cold winters or from the heat in these horrific summers, by the thousands because they did not plan well when they were young?

If so, that says far more about your character than it does about teh character of the person who did not plan well. You must remember that there are people who have barely made enough money throughtout their entire lives to pay the basics, much less saved money. And there are peope who did save and plan, who ended up seeing everything go down the drain like the Enron employees. There ARE NOT GUARNTEES in life. So why should you be judging the less fortunate so harshly. You could be one of them before your life ends. Then you may find yourself wishing that our society had developed more compassion over the years.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:12 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Ok I haven't read the whole thread yet but I'm with everyone else...it doesn't take 93 weeks to find a low paying job. I got laid off on a Tuesday and had a new job Wednesday afternoon. Yes it was a low paying, no skills needed horrible crap job but it kept the lights on and food in the fridge. And I'm in a relatively small area so unless she's living in a 3 person town I don't believe this story.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
(waiting for more polish to dry)
Maybe the answer is in the part of the healthcare package that hasn't been exposed yet?
They will be offered the shot.
But until they croak, in answer to a post up there.
The elderly go to a mom and pop type of business or a business that is established because they have learned that younger people will take time off for many things. Hangovers for one, dates for another and they have learned the value of being able to depend on someone.
You have that option until obama puts them out of business.
Off to work now!
Well, just destroy your credibility by bringing up those non-existant "death panels" of Palin's. More right-wing extremism. I find it amazing that right wingers are so proud to be so Me, Me, Me, and selfish/greedy so much of the time.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Well, just destroy your credibility by bringing up those non-existant "death panels" of Palin's. More right-wing extremism. I find it amazing that right wingers are so proud to be so Me, Me, Me, and selfish/greedy so much of the time.
Again, you can give your money anytime.

Mine you will never get.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Ok I haven't read the whole thread yet but I'm with everyone else...it doesn't take 93 weeks to find a low paying job. I got laid off on a Tuesday and had a new job Wednesday afternoon. Yes it was a low paying, no skills needed horrible crap job but it kept the lights on and food in the fridge. And I'm in a relatively small area so unless she's living in a 3 person town I don't believe this story.
So what happens in your world is the truth for the entire world and everyone in it? If YOU can do it, then certainly EVERYBODY can do it?

Are you in your 50s? Are you overweight? Do you have a college degree? Do you have a large social network?

I totally disagree with you. Perhaps you would do well to read the entire thread before you make such concrete statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies