Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 AM

354 posts, read 712,332 times

Advertisements

For those of us who recognize the value and enrichment of life that having a four legged companion can bring.

Here are some links including articles concerning this issue:

Save Our Pets Food Bank

Demand spikes at pet food banks, discount vets - Health - Pet health - msnbc.com

Tree House Humane Society - Pet Food Pantry (http://www.treehouseanimals.org/Tree%20House%20Site-Pet%20Food%20Pantry.htm - broken link)

http://www.seattlehumane.org/service...wincome-senior

Katie Couric's Notebook: Pet Food Banks - Couric & Co. - CBS News

Hope this was a source of real help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
If an animal is your child you have a mental problem a bit beyond the scope of food bank folk.
Why would you say that?
I have friends who rescue abused pets and treat them as part of the family.

I also know of people who neglect and abuse kids.

Who is better?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
Maybe they could set up another area people can donate and get pet foods.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:37 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
It is astounding that 24,000 kids die daily in this world (Today, over 24,000 children died around the world — Global Issues) and yet some people think their pets are so freaking precious.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 AM

507 posts, read 879,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Why not give Pets food stamps. I feel they have more rights than those in this country illegally.
Christ would disagree, if that's of any interest.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
For those of us who recognize the value and enrichment of life that having a four legged companion can bring.

Here are some links including articles concerning this issue:

Save Our Pets Food Bank

Demand spikes at pet food banks, discount vets - Health - Pet health - msnbc.com

Tree House Humane Society - Pet Food Pantry (http://www.treehouseanimals.org/Tree%20House%20Site-Pet%20Food%20Pantry.htm - broken link)

http://www.seattlehumane.org/service...wincome-senior

Katie Couric's Notebook: Pet Food Banks - Couric & Co. - CBS News

Hope this was a source of real help.
Isn't it odd the way some people display an obvious disdain for animals? They even seem to be offended by those of us who love our pets and look upon them as valued members of the family.

I guess I should pity them, because they'll never know what they're missing..

Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
I like animals more than people sometimes lol

Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
It is astounding that 24,000 kids die daily in this world (Today, over 24,000 children died around the world — Global Issues) and yet some people think their pets are so freaking precious.
They are precious. Who is to say what/whom someone can love?
There are 5 US kids who die of neglect and/or abuse daily.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Isn't it odd the way some people display an obvious disdain for animals? They even seem to be offended by those of us who love our pets and look upon them as valued members of the family.

I guess I should pity them, because they'll never know what they're missing..
I think most people are looking with disdain at folks that get pets, that obviously can't care for their family, let alone a pet.

I get called "evil" by some folks, because I let my dog run loose, in the country. "She could get eaten by an alligator" or "Someone could steal her".

I got looked at like I was Hitler the other day at work when I said I never take my dog to the vet. I give her shots myself, and pills, myself. If she needs something, I get it, if its to expensive, I'll put her down.

Its just that simple. Its not that I don't love my dog, I just know she's a dog. Its like my car, I love my car, but its just a car. When it comes between family and a dog or a car, family is going to come first.

I'm not spending 3 grand at the vets, when I can get a new dog for 50 bucks.

The people that irritate me are the ones that don't let dogs be dogs. Put them in vests, feed them human food (not bad scraps, but good scraps and/or cooked food for them), or tie them up in small back yards, and things of that nature.

The thing is, everyone sees animals differently. As long as someone isn't beating their dog, or using them for fighting, or frying them in bath tubs, well, its none of my business.

When it becomes my business, is when some people show up at the HUMAN food bank, expecting food for their dogs.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think most people are looking with disdain at folks that get pets, that obviously can't care for their family, let alone a pet.
When it becomes my business, is when some people show up at the HUMAN food bank, expecting food for their dogs.
But why is it your business then?
Are you contributing to the food bank?
How does it affect you?

I understand the separation, many banks are in small buildings with overworked volunteer staff. They feed off of donations.

How does that become your business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies