Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,874,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Please read the thread...She was not working for the USDA at the time, 24 years ago, when the issue at hand actually happened. She was in a position to help him however.
She was working for a governmental agency, doesn't matter which one. She based her decisions on whether to help the farmer, how much to help the farmer, on her own personal bias and racism.

Somehow just the fact the farmer was talking to her, got her back up, cause he was acting superior, whatever the hell that means.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 PM

180 posts, read 188,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
It's amazing that anyone could defend this. I am black and this really pisses me off. Did we not hear her say that "SHE DID NOT HELP HIM "FULLY"?? She abused her power....the power we gave her as a government official. Wow..........
Except she wasn't working as a government official at the time. She was working for a non-profit.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 PM

932 posts, read 1,675,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The epiphany came AFTER her initial reaction to the white farmer. She did the minimum aid and then sent him to his own people.
Ok and... this hurt the farmer in what number of ways?

Old 07-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
She was working for a governmental agency, doesn't matter which one. She based her decisions on whether to help the farmer, how much to help the farmer, on her own personal bias and racism.

Somehow just the fact the farmer was talking to her, got her back up, cause he was acting superior, whatever the hell that means.
No she wasn't. She was working for a non-profit called the Federation of the Southern Cooperatives Land Assistance Fund

Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Again, she helped the farmer period. He wasn't hurt by anything she did. He credits her for saving his farm and doing everything she could. Apparently, she did what she had to do in the end, and thats what matters. She realized she was wrong for her initial thoughts.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,676,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I dont care what you think of my apology. The audience reacted before she even finished, which is a bit like me. I reacted without knowing all that she said. They were applauding her initial words before the end. That tells you what was in their minds. The full context at that point doesnt matter. They cheered. Only she knew the rest of the story, they didnt.

And like I said, i hoped they learned just like I did. But if their initial reaction was to be happy that a white man was taken advantage of, or so it seemed, why would the all of a sudden change their tune by the end?

Either way, I apologize, and you can call it what you will. Putting my foot in my mouth or whatever. Im not so high and mighty where I cant admit I was wrong.
You don't know what was said before the comments that led to the applause because you don't have the complete video. You are only focused on what was said later but what was said before is more important.

Well....as a spouse with a cheating mate will tell you......its not about saying that you are sorry or was wrong.....after you get busted. The real issue is what led you to cheat and will that same thing lead you to cheat again. Was it lust or love. Ok.....you were wrong but you are only saying that after you got busted being wrong. My thing is why did you not give this women the benefit of the doubt based upon how poor the quality of information presented was? You had to WANT to believe this story because the evidence simply was not there to support this. Were you lusting over the ideal of having the NAACP and black folks potrayed as racist after all the years of whites being accused of such things? Are you in love with that proposition and hence hold onto your critism of the audience at the NAACP? To me she clearly linked her action to HOW SHE WAS TREATED AS INFERIOR....and not to the race of the farmer. The Narritive was race, but her actions were a reaction to feeling treated as if she was inferior. To me that was very clear. The issue was not racism but professionalism and the lack of it.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:17 PM

To remove all doubt..she WAS NOT an government employee at the time. She was working for a non-profit organization.

"At issue is the video posted online that shows Sherrod delivering a speech in March at a dinner for a Georgia NAACP chapter. In the clip that has a lot of people talking, Sherrod, who is black, described a 1986 encounter with a white farmer before she had the USDA job, when she was working for the nonprofit Federation of the Southern Cooperatives Land Assistance Fund."

Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - Evening Buzz: NAACP: We were 'snookered' by Sherrod tape « - CNN.com Blogs

Old 07-20-2010, 08:17 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,183,605 times
Her and the farmer are on CNN right now.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 PM

When she took the man to the white lawyer, she learned that the white lawyer wasn't going to help him, because he was poor and an older man. Her experiences were that the USDA only took care of white farmers, so she did what she thought was right for him. She stood up for him against the lawyer who was going to allow the man's farm to go into foreclosure. She wasn't getting paid for the work she did for him, however, the farmer was paying the lawyer to do his job. The lawyer should be the one to lose his job!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
AeroGuy, you are very good at saying a lot with saying only a little utilizing covert words, phrases and your opinion, that you paint as fact. To say otherwise is an insult to my intelligence.

However, I'm far from stupid and I know how to interpret what I read. There is no need for a challenge because you already know how to win this challenge. you know how to use your words carefully as to not offend outright ie. using the n word, but in subtle ways.

I'm not falling for it. You might have posted here more than I, but I browse the site often without saying a word. You have a reputation with other black posters, and its not a good one.

And you won't answer my DM on stats, which is what started this according to you.
There's no DM to answer. Send it again. I'll answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.