Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And there are a bunch of liberals who support the 2nd amendment.

There are meat-eating liberals.

There are liberals who smoke.

You were trying to draw parallels between conservatives and libertarians to suggest a united front against liberals. When the fact is that libertarians are just as likely to find allies amongst liberals as amongst conservatives. So...
There are allies among those who do not wish to see the government interfere in these issue. So long as liberals and democrats insist on legislating social issues, I think it will be difficult to have any sort of common ground. It is government's role in these things that the divide comes in. On the fiscal side, liberals and libertarians are pretty far apart (given current definitions as Memphis said).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 03:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
There is among those who do not wish to see the government interfere in these issue. So long as liberals and democrats insist on legislating social issues, I think it will be difficult to have any sort of common ground. It is government's role in these things that the divide comes in.
I might remind you that Conservatives do attempt to legislate social issues all the time. Gay marriage? It was conservatives in Arkansas who got a law passed trying to prevent gay couples from adopting. It was conservatives in Arkansas who passed laws to monitor child obesity and to send letters home to parents which threatened them to put their child on a diet or face child abuse prosecution. There are several states where conservatives have laws on the books prohibiting atheists from public office, or even serving on a jury. Not liberals. Conservatives. Don't kid yourself that conservatives don't legislate social issues. They do it all the time.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:30 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If a libertarian wants to spark up a doobie, he does it, at home, and harms no one.

If a conservative sees him, he'll call the police, have the libertarian thrown in jail, his home, family, job, and all taken away from him, because "God" told him to.

If a liberal woman wants to get an abortion, she gets stopped at the door by the conservative, who explains to her that she is going to hell, and that she can't kill her baby by a rapist, because God ordained it.

Need I go on? What a silly thread.
So killing the baby will make it all better? How is killing this baby going to help the situation? Did this baby asked to be here?
If we had a real justice system, we wouldn't have as many rapists in the first place. You people feel more sorry for the perp, than the victim. That is why we have such an imperfect society.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:30 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Libertarians and conservatives are hardly the same thing these days...

Old 07-19-2010, 03:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
So killing the baby will make it all better? How is killing this baby going to help the situation? Did this baby asked to be here?
If we had a real justice system, we wouldn't have as many rapists in the first place. You people feel more sorry for the perp, than the victim. That is why we have such an imperfect society.
Thread isn't about abortion.

The OP wanted to say that libertarians and conservatives are alike in the sense that they mind their own business. That may be true of libertarians, but it's not true of many conservatives.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I might remind you that Conservatives do attempt to legislate social issues all the time. Gay marriage? It was conservatives in Arkansas who got a law passed trying to prevent gay couples from adopting. It was conservatives in Arkansas who passed laws to monitor child obesity and to send letters home to parents which threatened them to put their child on a diet or face child abuse prosecution. There are several states where conservatives have laws on the books prohibiting atheists from public office, or even serving on a jury. Not liberals. Conservatives. Don't kid yourself that conservatives don't legislate social issues. They do it all the time.
I was just going to mention that. You are right. I know they do and it goes back to government's role. So long as they legislaate what people can and cannot do that divide will remain.

Many "conservative" politicians speak of Constitutionalism, free markets and liberty, but their congresional votes often show them to be no more than RINOs. I can see why the word conservative has really bad connotation these days. I will admit that it is hard being a Libertarian when neither party seems to really represent that you believe.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Libertarians and conservatives are hardly the same thing these days...
That's true when you look at the Republican Party. I agree with what you say. Maybe my poor attempt to get the word conservative to mean what it meant in a Jeffersonian sense is futile.

I do think that a lot of people who call themselves conservatives do mean it in that sense though and don't like how the Republican Party uses the word any more than I do.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Give me liberty or give me death.

We don't need to get into an abortion debate on this thread, plenty of them we can do that on. Lets just leave it as we will agree to disagree on the above statements.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Oh wow. This again. For the 100000th time. Thanks, it just never gets old.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM

448 posts, read 533,928 times
...they all seem like douches to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies