Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:19 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Buddy sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no "lord" and he didn't make sh*t...
England had loads of lords and probably still does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
If your saying I'm passionate about liberty I will take that over anything else someone might label me.
Some might even say I'm a right-wing extremist... Is it extreme to be in the defense of liberty.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson
Too bad hardly any of the things you mentioned apply. But, keep on dreamim'.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
Funny, when I lived in Germany everyone had a car(who wanted one) not to mention excellent health AND dental care.which is for many more important
than health care and isn't even mentioned here.

Yesterday, I was shopping at my small town Dollar Store in rural WI, the cashier, a lady I would judge to be in her late 60"s,had no front teeth. a sight I NEVER saw in my decade in Germany and which alone gives the lie to this being a good, much less great country.
You reminded me this sound bite that I heard over the radio a while back...

YouTube - My Constituent Had To Wear "Her Dead Sister's Teeth"
"She had to wear her dead sister's teeth."

This always gives to me a giggle of humor, because I have an older sister whose income is much more than mine. I heard this and thought, hey sis, when your done with that....

The American Dream is in a sense that we are empowered by ourselves and through legislature, to be all we want to be. However, big government is developing rapidly at a pace that is turning this dream into a nightmare.

She probably wore her sisters teeth, because without a job to pay for her own, what other choice did she have?

If a person can take away their materialistic desires they are truly empowered to live a happy life, regardless of what any one else thinks they should have or possess within their lifetime.

Success is not measured by what you do compared to what others do, it is measured by what you do with the ability God gave you.

~Zig Ziglar~

We came into our life with nothing and when we leave we will take nothing with us. What we do in the middle is how we will be remembered.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 PM

448 posts, read 534,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
England had loads of lords and probably still does.
...good to know...?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
...good to know...?
Absolutely!

Old 07-20-2010, 02:31 PM

448 posts, read 534,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I was born in Japan, and have lived in both Germany and Thailand, and speak Chinese. My passport had pages added a few years ago but just about full again.

What about you?
I was born in America, I have family in Leeds so I go there alot, and I've been to Germany.

Why does this matter?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:35 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Too bad hardly any of the things you mentioned apply. But, keep on dreamim'.

Really maybe you would like to explain what your dream is... or explain how your dream doesn't require you to step on mine?

Old 07-20-2010, 05:55 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
No, it might seem dead (especially to those with quit and despair attitudes) but this country still has amazing opportunities for success. I'm an American just like you and my dream certainly isn't dead. I've found there is plenty left, I'll have plenty to retire on, and I like owning this townhome.

Which country were you thinking? I suspect you'll find things you take for granted (like a nice big house with a front and back yard) aren't necessarily the norm in many places.
The grass is greener on the otherside, right? Maybe. Maybe not. But I will not know until I try. You might have plenty to retire on right now, but that may not always be the case, and there might not be anything you can do to change that.
I can only speak from experience in my own life. We have the house car, etc,etc, but the fact that we cannot leave without just flat out abandoning our house, is something that never would have happened before. We can afford the mortgage, but we are stuck to it.
I am glad that life is great for you. I hope it stays that way!

Old 07-20-2010, 06:07 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
I was born in America, I have family in Leeds so I go there alot, and I've been to Germany.

Why does this matter?
Seriously?

When my perception of worldwide opinion of the United States didn't match yours you made the comment implying I hadn't been out of the US to hear other people's opinion. I was establishing that your feeble attack on my credentials as someone who has interacted with the international community was quite misplaced.

If you want to talk about perceptions of the USA that's fine it'll be an interesting thread but don't just dismiss people who don't agree with you without knowing anything about them.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:07 PM

507 posts, read 879,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Who do you have to thank for all that Post War German prosperity?
The Marshall plan, wanting Germany back on its feet as a buffer against the Soviets, gave them a initial boost, a more important factor was a high demand
in German machine tool export occasioned by the Korean war.

Overall about 75% of German recovery is attributed to the German education system which has given them the best trained workforce among major western countries.

Thinking that Uncle Sam is responsible is a common belief among the brainwashed ,having little basis in reality, a quarter truth at best which is often worse than an outright falsehood,-but effective among the uneducated and gullible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies