Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times

Advertisements

It seems that the perceived meaning of the widely used term, "The American Dream" ... is widely varied. It certainly varies between generations (eg; pre/post WWII; pre/post the 'Sixties'; and now, pre/post the 2008-20## 'great recession'). It also varies greatly between Americans and those looking to America from less advantaged countries. 'The American Dream' also seems to vary along ethnic and racial lines ... as well as socio-economic lines.

Our America is a land of dreams and opportunities. For the world, America engenders self-directed lives with freedoms that have long stood as a beacon of hope.
What does 'The American Dream' mean to you TODAY ... and what do you think it will mean for your children and grandchildren?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 03:38 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times
The American dream is dead, for Americans. There isn't going to be anything left for us. No money to retire on and for the first time ever, owning a home is a bad thing. Now we are literally stuck in ours. We couldn't sell our house if our life depended on it. Our neighbor abandoned his house almost a year ago. Last month, the bank finally came in and put it up for sale. For $200 K less than it would normally be worth. There are more for sale signs in our neighbohood, then not. That brings the price of our house down. We want to move, but no one would buy our house, they have so much to choose from.
I am afraid of what this country's future holds for the children. We might as well look for the American dream, in another country.
What used to make us a great nation, Obama is pushing us to be like "Everyone else" so why stay here?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:34 AM

507 posts, read 878,901 times
A winning lottery ticket and a Finnish passport !

Old 07-20-2010, 06:53 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Ah yes, the American Dream!
That everyone will think alike, that all will embrace christianity, that all will worship the dollar, and that everyone will look forward to eternity in heaven.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:00 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
The American Dream is not for the people but for companies such as banks, insurance, energy companies, food products, pharmaceuticals who've managed to buy out and squeeze competition, buy and control the congress and the US Supreme court in order to pass laws forcing the people to buy products at inflated rates in order to pay stockholders from both here in the US and abroad.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:44 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
A roof,a car & a job...

Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
The American dream is dead, for Americans. There isn't going to be anything left for us. No money to retire on and for the first time ever, owning a home is a bad thing.
No, it might seem dead (especially to those with quit and despair attitudes) but this country still has amazing opportunities for success. I'm an American just like you and my dream certainly isn't dead. I've found there is plenty left, I'll have plenty to retire on, and I like owning this townhome.

Quote:
I am afraid of what this country's future holds for the children. We might as well look for the American dream, in another country.
Which country were you thinking? I suspect you'll find things you take for granted (like a nice big house with a front and back yard) aren't necessarily the norm in many places.

Last edited by slackjaw; 07-20-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
American dream for me. No kids, no debts, low bills, good health, loyal friends, clean water, good food, travelling, plump bank account, Las Vegas, Natural Beauty, and culture, when found.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:09 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
How Do YOU define "The American Dream" today?

Obama, Pelosi, and Reid (Moe Larry and Curly) packing their bags...please don't wake me...

Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 AM

507 posts, read 878,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
How Do YOU define "The American Dream" today?

Obama, Pelosi, and Reid (Moe Larry and Curly) packing their bags...please don't wake me...
Ahh, thats, the American Nightmare unless they take the Republicans with them and leave Ralph Nader the keys to the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies