Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:13 PM

402 posts, read 853,065 times

Advertisements

There's a big difference though between pre-marital sex and abortion. While both are sins:

1) Once you realized you messed up you should want to stop further mistakes, not say "oh well, I already goofed, might as well keep going."
2) No one's perfect. Christians are the first to admit that.
3) There's a difference between them. Sex between two consenting adults is between them and God, and it's no one else's business. But when you end someone else's life, that's a whole different matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I guess what I am wondering is why are religious people willing to go against the church's teachings in just about any other way, but abortion is where they draw the line?
All BS aside;

I think it's because you can morally justify defending an unborn child. You can argue this case (of course you have to refer to the fetus as a child) till you die. "You're killing a baby!" is what you'll here.

We are taught, as children, to do the right thing. As we age we find its way easier to complain and moan about issues than it is to actually do something about it. The abortion issue allows people to take this "complaining" to the limit, but it's nothing more than a way to feel like you’re doing the right thing without actually having to do anything. You can say abortions are bad, you can call someone who has had an abortion a killer but you really haven't DONE ANYTHING other than complain.

IMO, if these people were so concerned for unborn children then they should start to adopt them up. (AHHHHH, now we won't have that will we! Here's where you start to hear excuses for why they cannot support another child but still condemn the person who is having the abortion)

There is only one man I know of that I will back down from this issue, he has six adopted children all came from a women who were going to abort there pregnancy (not the same woman; that would be something)
I know my being frank will not go over well but, you’ll get over it.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I love these post!

I'm an Agnostic conservative who loved premarital sex (married now to the wife) and is pro choice.
But at one time I was a religious (conservative) person who thought those same questions. "Why so many contradictions?" so now I am
Agnostic, no more contratictions!
How do you manage to be conservative and pro-choice? I've thought of becoming a conservative but I am extremely pro-choice and the conservative party is (for the most part) pro-life.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
There's a big difference though between pre-marital sex and abortion. While both are sins:

1) Once you realized you messed up you should want to stop further mistakes, not say "oh well, I already goofed, might as well keep going."
2) No one's perfect. Christians are the first to admit that.
3) There's a difference between them. Sex between two consenting adults is between them and God, and it's no one else's business. But when you end someone else's life, that's a whole different matter.
As far as I'm concerned, you don't have any rights until you're born. I hate babies anyway so the fewer babies, the better.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
So, because they follow a faith, you hold them to a higher standard? Because they follow the church, they are expected to be saintly? Having a moral compass for ones life does not absolve them of the human condition, it merely gives them a different guide to follow as they make their way in the world, just like everyone else. To say that all Christians should be held to a higher standard because of the teaching of the church is silly.

Do you also think the converse is true? that people of no faith are more likely to harm others, do bad things etc? Do they get a pass because they have no faith?

Do the people you know really give you a fair representation of the entire "religious right?"
Religious people like to go around bragging how they're so moral. Why shouldn't I hold them to a higher standard?

Practice what you preach.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:44 PM

402 posts, read 853,065 times
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, you don't have any rights until you're born. I hate babies anyway so the fewer babies, the better.
I appreciate your honesty. Most abortion supporters tend to beat around the bush, but you are straight up saying you're okay with infanticide. I would of course stongly disagree, but I do appreciate the straight-forwardedness of your post.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyapproved View Post
Let me lift the fog, Premarital sex is neither a crime nor a direct harm to anyone, while abortion is MURDER.

See any difference there, now????
Abortion is legal. Murder is not.

See the difference?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
I appreciate your honesty. Most abortion supporters tend to beat around the bush, but you are straight up saying you're okay with infanticide. I would of course stongly disagree, but I do appreciate the straight-forwardedness of your post.
Don't be twisting my words around. I never said I support infanticide. An infant is someone that was actually born. A fetus has not been born yet, and abortion involves fetuses.

As much as I hate babies, I don't want them killed once they're born (because like I said, I think your rights begin at birth). But fetuses have not been born, so an abortion is not killing.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
There is some stuff I will never see eye to eye on with the conservatives. Same goes for the liberals.

But this topic is about something conservatives do that I don't understand.

Why is it that conservatives have pre-marital sex, end up with an unwanted pregnancy, then have the baby anyway because they claim they're too moral to get an abortion. You have no problem with sex before marriage, but you're too moral for abortion? The church is against abortion and pre-marital sex, but why do so many conservatives only listen to church's view on abortion and they disregard the church's view on premarital sex?

I realize not all conservatives are religious but this thread is about the religious conservatives that act the way I described above

I believe in god but I don't go to church...one of the reasons I don't go to church is because of all the hypocrisy that goes on. Yes, I support abortion. But in other ways, I am way more moral than these church goers that claim to be so moral.
So this thread is only about Conservatives whom, like pre marital sex but not killing the baby that results from said premarital sex! your really reaching......or should I say trolling.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
There is some stuff I will never see eye to eye on with the conservatives. Same goes for the liberals.

But this topic is about something conservatives do that I don't understand.

Why is it that conservatives have pre-marital sex, end up with an unwanted pregnancy, then have the baby anyway because they claim they're too moral to get an abortion. You have no problem with sex before marriage, but you're too moral for abortion? The church is against abortion and pre-marital sex, but why do so many conservatives only listen to church's view on abortion and they disregard the church's view on premarital sex?

I realize not all conservatives are religious but this thread is about the religious conservatives that act the way I described above

I believe in god but I don't go to church...one of the reasons I don't go to church is because of all the hypocrisy that goes on. Yes, I support abortion. But in other ways, I am way more moral than these church goers that claim to be so moral.
Well, as a conservative I can only speak for myself, so here it goes: I learned from childhood, taught by my father and mother, that if I ever got a woman pregnant, it was my duty to take care of the woman and child at least until the child would become an adult. There is not such thing as an unwanted pregnancy. The word "unwanted" is used as an excuse to abandon, abort, or simply avoid supporting a life one is responsible for. But with a lot of people the few seconds of sex that can result on a pregnancy are a lot more important than being responsible for their actions and preserving the child's life.

Something else. A large number of liberals are Catholic, specially in the East US Coast, and as you may already know most Catholics follow the Pope's teaching of "no abortions." A lot of Democrats are just as religious as the Republicans, and still are liberal. For example, a lot of black Americans and hispanics are religious, so in my view you may want to rethink your views about conservatives and abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies