Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times

Advertisements

Whitewash?

It worked for Michael Jackson.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM

387 posts, read 532,929 times
Michael Jackson was a good example of internalized oppression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Whitewash?

It worked for Michael Jackson.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Why is it always underachieving black? Why can't a thread be, "how can we cure underachievement?"

I'm not even going to attempt to read up on this thread or the many programs folks say are needed. Learning always starts at home, always. We learn to cry for milk (some never rid themselves of this one), we learn to have mommy/daddy wipe our asses (ditto) when we crap in our pants.

PARENTS are the single most influence in a child’s ability or inability to learn. Educate children so that when they are PARENTS they teach their children rather than expect schools to teach them what they should be learning at home. Parents should teach responsibility and consequences. If parents did, they, the children, would have a better understanding of the purpose of schools and have respect for others which in turn results in respect for themselves. My plight is in vein because as we all know people just keep getting lazier.
This thread couldn't be "why can't we cure underachievement" because I wanted to focus on what most blacks in America see. We realize the gap in achievement, whether we attribute it to racism or lack of personal responsibility. There are clearly a couple of major arguments to choose for why things are how they are and the choices regarding solutions. Either we're siding with Bill Cosby, or Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Either way, we know something is different among blacks as compared to whites. Same reason why it is attractive to point out, as one poster cited previously, the fact that we are victims of institutional racism. Institutional racism does in fact have to do with having a certain amount of power to control a system, which many of us would like to believe that we lack. The simple belief that we lack such power indicates our acknowledgement of subpar achievement in this country.

I posted the topic in this particular forum because 1) the thread that I was originally responding to was in this forum and 2) because it is a controversial topic. I wasn't thinking about how many posters were white. I figured that the title alone would attract some black members to post and share their thoughts as well. Didn't think it'd be a wrong move, nor did I think some CD members would consider this to be some sort of troll thread. Its good to read opinions from all sides, though. And you're right PC, parents should be teaching their kids primarily, but it's hard for black parents when 70% of the fathers are not present in the household. That's why I posted a thread like this. Abandoning children is another sad trend amongst men in our community and there is no excuse for it.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communist Data View Post
Nice list of stereotypes.
Stereotypes are based on facts, that's why they're called stereotypes. Sorry if the truth offends you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Communist Data
The Nonsense is you a White person trying to tell me a Black person how things are in the Black community using stereotypes of Black households.
It's no different than blacks presuming to know what millions of white people secretly think about black people when the truth is, we don't talk about you even half as much as you talk about us at the dinner table.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
Michael Jackson was a good example of internalized oppression.
And, a lot more.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I get that all the time I say "really? how did you expect me to sound?" They don't answer. Never. Not once have I gotten an answer.
People say that because they are used to hearing "Ghetto dialect" from blacks.

I was surprised the first time I heard Ryan Howard speak.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post

It is the white politicians who placate to you and feed you what you want to hear but after 30 years have not made your lives any better who are the ones to watch out for.

It's easy to bring politics into this because it IS political. Blacks are political chattel and now the mexican is being used by politics. The whole premises of liberalism is to have people beholden to government and the only way to do this is to devise a system that limits your opportunities. remember the quote about the devil and a face of virtue??
I think that's a cop out too. Politicians aren't to blame for the elaborate excuses people made for themselves and their own demand to be reinforced by politicians in the polls. They've done this to themselves, and it's dictated our nation via politics all along. Expectations of politicians are downright nutty, and populist mentalities stuck on themselves would render us backwards mob rule. Bush wasn't fit to catch a dog, but people voted for him because he told them what they really wanted to hear, which has increasingly gotten further away from reality. Our representatives have come to represent the delusions in people, and We The People need to own that fact.

People with the argument mamma liberal did this to you, or daddy conservative did this to you... when you're 45 yrs old still living in your parents house having made a career out of excuses, then discover the stroke of genius manipulation that will last a lifetime--- my parents did it to me!... when those parents are dead and gone that 60yr old 'child' can join them in the coffin. Mamma attempting a lifetime of patience & therapy to break them out of it and daddy meting out tough love throwing you in a lake can't make anything happen for a child unwilling to grow up.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 PM

640 posts, read 388,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I think that's a cop out too. Politicians aren't to blame for the elaborate excuses people made for themselves and their own demand to be reinforced by politicians in the polls. They've done this to themselves, and it's dictated our nation via politics all along. Expectations of politicians are downright nutty, and populist mentalities stuck on themselves would render us backwards mob rule. Bush wasn't fit to catch a dog, but people voted for him because he told them what they really wanted to hear, which has increasingly gotten further away from reality. Our representatives have come to represent the delusions in people, and We The People need to own that fact.

People with the argument mamma liberal did this to you, or daddy conservative did this to you... when you're 45 yrs old still living in your parents house having made a career out of excuses, then discover the stroke of genius manipulation that will last a lifetime--- my parents did it to me!... when those parents are dead and gone that 60yr old 'child' can join them in the coffin. Mamma attempting a lifetime of patience & therapy to break them out of it and daddy meting out tough love throwing you in a lake can't make anything happen for a child unwilling to grow up.
Well, that's a pretty HARSH perspective.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post

I posted the topic in this particular forum because 1) the thread that I was originally responding to was in this forum and 2) because it is a controversial topic. I wasn't thinking about how many posters were white. I figured that the title alone would attract some black members to post and share their thoughts as well. Didn't think it'd be a wrong move, nor did I think some CD members would consider this to be some sort of troll thread. Its good to read opinions from all sides, though. And you're right PC, parents should be teaching their kids primarily, but it's hard for black parents when 70% of the fathers are not present in the household. That's why I posted a thread like this. Abandoning children is another sad trend amongst men in our community and there is no excuse for it.
I agree with the basis of your thread. I feel there is no sufficient reason for anyone to neglect a Childs mind. So many beliefs are formed before a child reaches 10 years old and really, most of what we learn about the world we learn before we’re ten; and we learn this from our parents (or whoever that person is). The expression, “The real world”, is a euphemism to a child reaching a point when they see for themselves that the world is not all fun and games. Teaching these children, of any color, this valuable social law is one of the most important things you/I can do.
In my opinion, anything less than putting your child’s upbringing as the number one priority is a cop-out to parental responsibilities (and responsibilities are not a bad thing). Your/my children’s future is formed from our/my actions and/or inaction. Once given the tools to be a functioning part of society AND shown how to use them they can be off to decide what path to take. Till then it’s our job to raise our own children and let the schools assist with outside education. Schools are meant to extend learning’s from home and not be the sole source. Schools are not there to teach discipline so why so many parents assume it’s the schools fault when a child’s behavior is down right deplorable is beyond me.
Anyway, you expressed your thoughts and with any luck someone has learned something.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Schools are not there to teach discipline so why so many parents assume it’s the schools fault when a child’s behavior is down right deplorable is beyond me.

The school is there to teach sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies