Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:31 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
They recently rebuilt a black majority high school near where I live, and the resources there are better then what I had in COLLEGE!
Um Herman unless you were in college within the last two years that's pretty much the norm.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:49 AM

544 posts, read 1,058,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Blacks performing badly in school (in most cities half don't even graduate high school) is common knowledge, it would like asking me to use a link to support my claim the earth revolves around the sun.
while i would not say it's common knowledge i will say that on some levels its very true. however i honestly don't believe many of the problems in the black community will ever be solved do to interference from white people they really don't want us to achieve. they just want to complain about us not achieving. they tell us "you need to do something for your people - its a problem that black people need to address and fix" but then when we try they start calling us racist for trying to help our people

Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This is one BIG problem I face every day. I live in a subdivision which has a lot of fellow blacks here in KY and my car (01 Honda Accord) is the probably the oldest and least "blinged" out. I'm also a conversative Libertarian who didn't vote for Obama and don't dare tell a lot of other blacks about my political views. I also attend a mostly white church. Also I think most rap today is garbage but I do love old-school hip-hop. I also don't make it a point to learn the hottest "slang."

I feel like I'm on trial everyday from my own community for having my own mind. What am I doing wrong? Wanting a decent white-collar career and to live in a neighborhood where I won't hear gunshots every night? Caring about putting the best person in office even if they are not black? Not crossing non-black women off the list of who I would marry?

As a black guy, I have a love-hate relationship in the black community. I love men like Michael Eric Dyson, Cornel West, and Tavis Smiley are showing America that being intelligent, eloquent, and black aren't oxymorons. But I hate when folks like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton make it seem like the black community should all have one mind.
stay true to your ideals, and become a leader in your community. it is going to be people like you that will help lead the black community out of the liberal mindset, especially if you are successful.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This is one BIG problem I face every day. I live in a subdivision which has a lot of fellow blacks here in KY and my car (01 Honda Accord) is the probably the oldest and least "blinged" out. I'm also a conversative Libertarian who didn't vote for Obama and don't dare tell a lot of other blacks about my political views. I also attend a mostly white church. Also I think most rap today is garbage but I do love old-school hip-hop. I also don't make it a point to learn the hottest "slang."

I feel like I'm on trial everyday from my own community for having my own mind. What am I doing wrong? Wanting a decent white-collar career and to live in a neighborhood where I won't hear gunshots every night? Caring about putting the best person in office even if they are not black? Not crossing non-black women off the list of who I would marry?

As a black guy, I have a love-hate relationship in the black community. I love men like Michael Eric Dyson, Cornel West, and Tavis Smiley are showing America that being intelligent, eloquent, and black aren't oxymorons. But I hate when folks like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton make it seem like the black community should all have one mind.
the contempt for skilled blue collar jobs is hurting america, black and white. skilled labor is what is needed and they dont wana do it. everybody wants to be a doctor. electricians and plumbers often make more than dentists. we need to get out of the ego business and back into the reality business. why do we have contempt for what our grandfathers were? lots of dreams on the hood but reality stinks. most end up in a gang. after that 1st felony your life is over.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,945 times
How do we cure black underachievement? For one thing - get rid of entitlements!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies