Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM

239 posts, read 596,079 times

Advertisements

There have been a couple recent threads in which people ask why some people on this board, are so critical of the South.

My question is, why SHOULDN'T people be critical of the South...or any other part of the country? The last time I checked, this was a message board where people share their opinions both good and bad, about a number of topics, and places.

Go the Texas forums, and you'll see many people bashing and both praising Dallas/Austin/Houston. In the CA forums, you'll find people who love and hate LA/SA/SD, etc.

So...why should the South get a pass when it comes to criticism on these boards? Are Southerners somehow above reproach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 01:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
There have been a couple recent threads in which people ask why some people on this board, are so critical of the South.

My question is, why SHOULDN'T people be critical of the South...or any other part of the country? The last time I checked, this was a message board where people share their opinions both good and bad, about a number of topics, and places.

Go the Texas forums, and you'll see many people bashing and both praising Dallas/Austin/Houston. In the CA forums, you'll find people who love and hate LA/SA/SD, etc.

So...why should the South get a pass when it comes to criticism on these boards? Are Southerners somehow above reproach?
It's not reproach that people object to. It's perpetuating a negative stereotype for the sole purpose of bashing a region of the country. Many of the people bashing have never been to the South. Of those who have, they saw what they looked for, rather than maintaining objectivity. We're not all obese. We're not all uneducated. We're not all racists. We're not all conservatives. We've got issues just like any other part of the country. No one is asking for a pass. Just an end to the bashing.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not reproach that people object to. It's perpetuating a negative stereotype for the sole purpose of bashing a region of the country. Many of the people bashing have never been to the South. Of those who have, they saw what they looked for, rather than maintaining objectivity. We're not all obese. We're not all uneducated. We're not all racists. We're not all conservatives. We've got issues just like any other part of the country. No one is asking for a pass. Just an end to the bashing.
Exactly. Bashing the South is still "politically correct," but a negative statement about another group could cost you your job.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:03 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
I have noticed a few thinks about the south...
none of which can't be found in the north...
both both have guns, beers, drugs and churches.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:07 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I have noticed a few thinks about the south...
none of which can't be found in the north...
both both have guns, beers, drugs and churches.
YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHAwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I just couldnt help myself lol

I think the South is Sick of being called racist for no other reason then being born or moving to the South.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:09 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
I believe I gave them a sound verbal lashing for their grit consumption, thanks you very much.

I'm also composing an essay on the overuse of the word "fixin' ta" (that means planning to) but haven't finished verifying all my sources yet.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:14 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
well, anyone who comes to texas saying "yous guys" or "fuggedaboutit"...

...won't be met with any criticism at all! we'll go about our day and treat that person with good ole' southern hospitality.

here in texas we respect people, but if they don't respect us, we put our good ole' second amendment to use.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 07-20-2010 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: added smiley face :)

Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
There is a lot of bashing of the South on here based on simplistic and fairly outdated stereotypes...It's sad when people judge places they've never been. I had a different view of the South before I actually went there--I've enjoyed time I've spent in most of the South.

But on the other hand however I see plenty of bashing of other areas by people from the South on this forum...

New York and other cities are dirty cesspools filled with rude, arrogant people. California is full of elite liberal hippies intent on spreading their agenda. Canada isn't a real country...and so on...

Old 07-20-2010, 04:52 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post

Have you ever read as many post who's sole purpose is to blast other parts of the country. Not just one state but whole areas?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,603 times
Simple question;

Why do people from the south call northerners Yankees?

Why don't people from the north call southerners Rebels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies