Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARGE View Post
Of course there is a difference, it's called the profit margin. Without it, there is no incentive for the business owner to put his capital at risk and start the business in the first place - it would be easier and safer just to keep the money in the bank (and not create any jobs in the process). This isn't some evil conspiracy that you just suddenly stumbled upon, its simply a fundamental lack of understanding of the basic principles of capitalism on your part.

In a capitalist system property ownership is ultimately the only way in which value is "realized". Ownership of property grants the owner of the property full rights to all of the value of that property. That is, at its core, what capitalism is about, the ownership of rights to value.

I think I understand capitalism fairly well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
local taxes, state taxes support roads, police, fire education of which you can move from state to state and or local governments.
Wrong.. Federal government provides LOTS of grants to the states and local municipalities for these expenses.. Did you forget about Palins bridge to no where, which was federal money, and Obamas funds for police and fire departments in the stimulus package? Wow, it wasnt even that long ago. I would agree that they SHOULDNT be providing these funds, but they are..
Quote:
Federal taxes is welfare, ss.. this was created by the federal government not in the constitution. Nor are they "rights" They put you into the ss system when you are born and give you a number. Its broke along with the government. debt is broke. So your a slave to a system that is hard to get out of and your born into.
Completely agree.. Another one of those things the federal government shouldnt be involved with but are..
Quote:
I do benefit from a strong military of which is in the constitution for national defense. It says nothing about nation building and having 700 bases around the world. "Invaded" well if that ever happened we have troops around the world instead at home defending our nation instead they trying to run the world. If we were invaded I can assure you we wouldn't need the miltary that is why we have the 2nd amendment.
There is nothing to limit "invasion" either.. There are steps put into place to allow it to happen, those steps were followed..

Old 07-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
So you're saying the current military industrial complex sucking our country dry is not excessive? 700+ military complexes/bases/facilities in over 100+ countries? Sounds more like an empire than a strong military.
No.. never said it wasnt excessive, I said you benefited from its existance.. That after all, is the discussion..

Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No.. never said it wasnt excessive, I said you benefited from its existance.. That after all, is the discussion..
I benefit from its existence?????/. That is YOUR opinion and his hardly factual. In fact I could argue that our current "strong military" as you put is is detrimental to my well being and my safety. I.e. the old argument they hate us because we are meddling in their governments and stealing their resources etc.

Why doesn't our military secure our border? Is protection of borders not a government function?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:46 PM

108 posts, read 99,152 times
Only in America can you have the economic downfall slide in 2008-2009 and still post a new record of 1st time Millionares.

Get to love free market capitolism lol.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I benefit from its existence?????/. That is YOUR opinion and his hardly factual. In fact I could argue that our current "strong military" as you put is is detrimental to my well being and my safety. I.e. the old argument they hate us because we are meddling in their governments and stealing their resources etc.

Why doesn't our military secure our border? Is protection of borders not a government function?
You dont benefit from the existance of the military? Thats rather sad, expecially considering you live in California, with umpteen military bases being located there, and a huge disapportion of federal spending going out that way..

Old 07-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Dem_PA View Post
Only in America can you have the economic downfall slide in 2008-2009 and still post a new record of 1st time Millionares.

Get to love free market capitolism lol.
Money isnt made or lost, its only transferred. If you lost money, someone else gained it. It doesnt just disappear..

Old 07-20-2010, 04:09 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Hitler had to be able to pay a salary to create that powerful economy.. He used CAPITALISM, albeit government capitalism, to accomplish his goals..

Ok - blood equity.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You dont benefit from the existance of the military? Thats rather sad, expecially considering you live in California, with umpteen military bases being located there, and a huge disapportion of federal spending going out that way..
You're kidding right?????????????
CA IS BANKRUPT DUDE!!!!!!!! I mean where have you been? This state is an effing mess. And it's a perfect microcosm of where the country is headed. A bankrupt state with one of the most affluent people in the world. There are more rich people in CA than any other state. The middle class are abandoning CA in droves. So are businesses. but you are right my friend the military industrial complex is doing great. That's why our young boys and girls are coming back in body bags. Keep the machine churning.

If the military wants to make a difference in my life and the life of Americans they should be down south sealing the border. Illegal immigration and the drug trafficking is effecting me way more than some sandal wearing goat herding terrorists in the middle east. 9/11 was caused by educated, highly skilled and well funded Saudis. They sure as hell aren't hiding out in caves in Afghanistan. The war on terror will turn out to be the biggest scam ever perpetuated on the American people..........rivaling the Kennedy assassination.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Money isnt made or lost, its only transferred. If you lost money, someone else gained it. It doesnt just disappear..
The Federal Reserve has the power to create "money" out of thin air. You really don't have any clue how the US economy REALLY works do you? Your thinking is so compartmentalized like many Amerians you fail to see the big picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies