Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What's this I see? Liberals supporting fascist unconstitutional censorship?
Constitution...we don't need no stinking Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Which of those "real journalists" whose names appeared above do you consider to be truth tellers? Surely you can show some of their truth in order to prove that them calling Fox liars is something other than lying to people like you and fooling you.

You people continue to talk about the lies Fox tells and never give an example of proof that they lied. It sounds like these liars have taken you in and you are the tools of the progressive movement but can't bring yourself to admit it.
The proof of this is the way the word "racist" is thrown around, even here on CD, right out of the book.

I can't tell you how many times I have been called racist simply because I do not like the way Obama is ruining the country.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
The proof of this is the way the word "racist" is thrown around, even here on CD, right out of the book.

I can't tell you how many times I have been called racist simply because I do not like the way Obama is ruining the country.
I just picked up this tasty little bit about WAPO reading on Daily Caller. You might get a kick out of it and surely our HistorianDude will certainly not like any part of it. I have felt like this about WAPO for a long time.

At Washington Post, mum (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/at-washington-post-mums-the-word-on-journolist-98909894.html - broken link)

Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Constitution...we don't need no stinking Constitution.
When it is other journalists doing it, the Constitution doesn't really apply.

You don't have First Amendment rights against private entities.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Correction:
Journalists who have already shown themselves to be unethical and unprofessional discuss ways to use a fascist government to silence their competition by invoking a violation of the First Amendment.
Which is, ironically, within their First Amendment rights to do.

Unless the government performs censorship, it isn't a constitutional issue.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I believe it's more wacky to think otherwise
Then your understanding of the application of the First Amendment is wacky.

The First Amendment only applies to the to government.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
I believe some of the posts from the site in question were asking about having the FCC not renew the license of Fox News....

That is of course still free speech but it is the advocating of government power to silence speech.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

Because they have stopped being the watchdogs for US and became the guard dogs for Obama. They will not report stories that will link to him in a negative way. They have literally circled the wagons around him and his corrupt and radical administration. And that is dangerous. No White House should be this comfortable. They reported the oil spill only because they had to.
How true, when the media started wielding it's power for the good of Government or their favorite candidate, organization, party, etc., the people were and are the ones who are harmed.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I believe some of the posts from the site in question were asking about having the FCC not renew the license of Fox News....

That is of course still free speech but it is the advocating of government power to silence speech.
They can ask all they like, askin' ain't gettin'.

Unless and until the FCC takes some action that is not content-neutral or accomplishes prior restraint, or otherwise acts in violation of the First Amendment, then it is not a constitutional issue.

I see "conservatives" (in name only, I think) asking for stuff like this all the time. They have the right to express themselves and to petition the government for redress of their grievances, but unless the government actually does what they ask, there is no constitutional issue. Some want to keep gay marriage illegal, for instance, in blatant violation of the equal protection clause....

Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Here's more on Progressive journalists:

"...If you were in the presence of a man having a heart attack, how would you respond? As he clutched his chest in desperation and pain, would you call 911? Would you try to save him from dying? Of course you would.

But if that man was Rush Limbaugh, and you were Sarah Spitz, a producer for National Public Radio, that isn’t what you’d do at all.

In a post to the list-serv Journolist, an online meeting place for liberal journalists, Spitz wrote that she would “Laugh loudly like a maniac and watch his eyes bug out” as Limbaugh writhed in torment......"

Liberal journalists suggest government shut down Fox News | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment
a producer for NPR? very telling, indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies