Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe Shirley Sherrod was unfairly forced out?
Yes 24 58.54%
No 11 26.83%
Not sure 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Why? What purpose does it serve? To get whites stirred up. Maybe I'll be mistreated today by a white government worker as revenge for this tape. Is that it?

She is the one who decided to treat a white farmer differently than a black farmer because of her racist attitude. The non-profit organization she worked for received federal funds and any organization receiving federal funds is not allowed to treat one race differently from another.

I can't believe you are actually defending this woman and her hate for whites.

Do you know she believes a white man killed her father and was allowed to go free because the grand jury wouldn't indite him?

In her mind the only reason he wasn't indited is because he was white. Maybe there wasn't enough evidence (See OJ).

She has some serious racist baggage.

Whether she holds the same racist attitudes today is immaterial. A person handling federal funds and who discriminates against whites should have never been placed in the position she was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:26 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
She's in..she's out..they like her..she sucks...I guess they are waiting to see what position Glenn Beck is going to take on her reinstatement before they make another decision...flipitty / floppity..someone gaff that fish please...it is making me dizzy..

Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not everybody. Glenn Beck devoted half his show yesterday to saying she was let go without cause because it dovetailed with his show's previous positions on "pivot moments" (when the subject initially thinks one way and then realize that's not the way to go and does the right thing, in this case Sherrod) and also how easy it is to take things out of context when you don't have the entire tape. He played the part in the tape that no one talked about and that is the part where Sherrod says of the white farmer that she realized the issue was that he was poor not the color of his skin which Beck said was her pivot moment. In other words, Beck said it sounded like Sherrod, on the tape, was using her own "pivot moment" to illustrate how she could have made a wrong choice back all of those years ago because of skin color, but didn't. He obviously thought more of the tape existed that would have exonerated her, easily. In fact, he said she fit right in with the Obama administration as far as seeing things in terms of wealth.

He said the administration acted way too quickly to make her resign. He said they should have let her tell her side of the story, found the entire tape and checked to see if there was something else to justify letting her go. He said in the Van Jones incident, Jones said he was a Communist and there was proof he was a 9/11 truther.

And, by the way, he never even mentioned the Sherrod story the day before when others were talking about it.

So, Glenn Beck defended her. Actually, I think he might be the reason they are now saying they may have acted too quickly.
Glenn defended her wrongfully, using the logic of racism. This was as strategic as brietbarts campaign. Forget all finger pointing- the devolved arguments that would claim (entirely personalized) I fired her because I was white, or the claim I'd fire her because I was a jealous female (because accusing me of feminazi won't stick, they'll spin it another direction). Everyone is so bent on claims of favoritism they're getting further away from the standards of dispassionate service that IS our gov't, our military, our hospitals etc.

Focus on the bolded portion of your own statement if you would. I did view the whole tape (not just a clip) and as someone familiar with public service I believe she did violate standards of propriety. You believe she was about to commit an act but didn't, but she did commit that act, she threw the match, and waited until the 11th hour before she came to see the light. It's the measure of time that went by watching a human being drowning if you'd view it from that perspective.

Truth be told I actually like this woman very much even if I disagree with her specific politics. How much I like her is irrelevant in light of upholding the standard of office. Justice isn't supposed to be about who we like or favor. It's supposed to be about the standard. Obama is holding up the standard. It's not about saving face or spinning, it's upholding the standard. He's doing his job and she'll get another one. I hope she writes a book because it's something for all to learn, presuming RW extremes and Sharpton don't start convincing her she's a victim. Then it's just another round of childs game chutes and ladders.

Would anyone have the power to pardon her, IMO Obama should give that farmer who is technically the grieved party the right to make that decision in public. Let him make his statement as loudly as Brietbart & FOX. I understand he and Sherrod are friends now. Perhaps he can explain why he forgave her and teach everyone a thing or two right along with Sherrod.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
She is the one who decided to treat a white farmer differently than a black farmer because of her racist attitude. The non-profit organization she worked for received federal funds and any organization receiving federal funds is not allowed to treat one race differently from another.

I can't believe you are actually defending this woman and her hate for whites.

Do you know she believes a white man killed her father and was allowed to go free because the grand jury wouldn't indite him?

In her mind the only reason he wasn't indited is because he was white. Maybe there wasn't enough evidence (See OJ).

She has some serious racist baggage.

Whether she holds the same racist attitudes today is immaterial. A person handling federal funds and who discriminates against whites should have never been placed in the position she was.
So momonkey, does that still make me a feminazi racist blue state lily livered liberal commie if I happen to agree? I think her father was killed by a white man. I think justice failed her family. I also think justice failed these people. Crime Scene Photographs, Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman/title

Do I feel it necessary to paint OJ anything more than what he has offered the world in word and deed? Not one bit. His maker knows all. Vengeance is MINE sayeth the lord, if you believe you're christian. Playing god yourself doesn't work. You only wind up in contests to see who is a more vicious animal and it's nothing to be proud about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies