Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:21 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times

Advertisements

Now a woman who throughout her child hood lived through Jim Crow, Separate but equal, whose own father was murdered by the KKK, and lived in a society where it was normal to think of her as an animal, overcame all of those barriers and made a success of herself.

Overcame?

By what standard?

She still holds that a white man killed her father. What is the proof that this is true. Certainly it is true in her mind, but that isn't the same as a conviction in court. Obviously she doesn't believe in due process for whites either.

Only fools and liars will suggest that we are not shaped by our experiences, perceptions, and treatment we receive from others, for Sherrod to hold prejudiced views against whites was well deserved, white society drummed into her the rule that she was less and they were more. This woman did not listen to someone talk about being called a ni@@er and being refused respect, she lived it and saw her father killed for refusing to accept it.

Her views were totally justified, however she chose to rise above the pettiness of her own racism and be better than those who continued to forward the misguided idea of racial supremacy, if everyone was as brave, morally upright and honest, racism would have died decades ago.

Her view that it was OK to discriminate against a white farmer because of his race was justified?

I can't wait to hear this explanation.

Do tell...what made discrimination against a white farmer OK for Ms. Sherrod?

The organization she served on was a buffer between blacks and poor whites that self serving white officials failed to recognize as citizens and worthy of fair treatment under the law.

That's your spin on things.

The Federation of Southern Cooperatives land assistance Fund did their jobs in a more professional, humane, honest and moral manner than the USDA did theirs, and some of you have a problem with that??!!....oh yeah, we must all remember the people that helped serve.

"More" when federal funds are involved, isn't really the standard is it?

Even the title of this thread is a lie...I guess for some people the end result justifies the means!!

End justifies the means?

Exactly who is making the case for moral relativism concerning her actions, or lack thereof, when it was time to help a white farmer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Guys, you've been had. Breitbart posted a deliberately misleading video, and you dutifully stood up for anything that appeared to support your convictions.

Now when Breitbart moves on to explain that he "meant for people to see the NAACP's reaction", when Fox of all places retract, when the farmer and his wife goes on TV to express their gratitude to Shirley Sherrod - you still defend the original narrative. Seriously, Jonah freakin' Goldberg goes on NRO to suggest that Breitbart apologize and that Sherod get her job back - don't you think it's time to reassess?

Not that it's not mildly entertaining and all.

AND YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

FROM THE OP...

Video: Watch the Shirley Sherrod Speech in Full | NAACP

Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
AND YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

FROM THE OP...

Video: Watch the Shirley Sherrod Speech in Full | NAACP
I don't know if you're aware that your link is behind a registration link for the NAACP?

Anyway, let's recap, shall we?

Sherrod told her story as a warning, as an example not to be followed. (Breitbart took 3 minutes out of a 43 minute speech.)
The Spooners did in fact get the help they needed and kept their farm. We know this, because they've gone on national media to do so.

These are, y'know, facts.

"Whites Need Not Apply", on the other hand, isn't. Sherrod was wrong in thinking like she did in 1986, she admitted as much, and she told her story as a cautionary tale. And as wrong as her thinking was, her actions didn't cause any ill effects for the Spooners, on the contrary.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 AM

88,990 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Ms. Sherrod treated everyone equally. She referred her client to an attorney she thought at the time would help him, without her having to put more of her effort into his case. When she learned from the farmer that the lawyer was not helping him, she stepped in and used all of her resources and SAVED HIS FARM FOR HIM.

What on earth is so hard to understand about that??? Why are you people always looking to twist things into contortions that don't remotely resemble the truth?
What's so hard to understand about the fact that Sherrod admitted to committing a federal offense?

I'll ask the same question I asked in another thread...
Do you really want to posit that it's okay to commit a crime as long as it ends well?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
[quote=momonkey;15144992]She refused to give him the "full force" of what she could do and "took him to one of his own kind" as an alternative.

" I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough so that when he -- I -- I assumed the Department of Agriculture had sent him to me, either that or the -- or the Georgia Department of Agriculture. And he needed to go back and report that I did try to help him.
So I took him to a white lawyer that we had -- that had...attended some of the training that we had provided, 'cause Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farmer. So I figured if I take him to one of them that his own kind would take care of him."

American Rhetoric: Shirley Sherrod - Speech at the NAACP 20th Freedom Fund Banquet

At the very best she is a segregationist.

Maybe, just maybe, she could have taken him to a lawyer who didn't suck (as this one did) even though he would not have been his kind. That may have been the solution were she not deliberately withholding the "full force" of what she could do.[/QUOTE]

So she took him to a white lawyer whom she thought would better serve him than herself because of her prejudiced view she has of him ( which is admirable that she admits this to herself and decides not to allow it to refuse him service) and the air of racial superiority the farmer was attempting to put on her, she finds that this white lawyers was going to allow this man to lose his farm and faced with the chance at getting back at somebody white, she takes the high, moral road and chooses to see him not as a white man or as one of her race's oppressors, she decided to just see him as a man who neede help.

She not only used to "FULL" resources of her office and position she went out of her way and used her personal time and resources to save this couple's farm.

At worst she is an outstanding example of people choosing right over wrong.

At best she was a hero, as I'm sure the farmer and his wife would attest to...oh, they already have!!

Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Now a woman who throughout her child hood lived through Jim Crow, Separate but equal, whose own father was murdered by the KKK, and lived in a society where it was normal to think of her as an animal, overcame all of those barriers and made a success of herself.

Overcame?

By what standard?

She still holds that a white man killed her father. What is the proof that this is true. Certainly it is true in her mind, but that isn't the same as a conviction in court. Obviously she doesn't believe in due process for whites either.

Only fools and liars will suggest that we are not shaped by our experiences, perceptions, and treatment we receive from others, for Sherrod to hold prejudiced views against whites was well deserved, white society drummed into her the rule that she was less and they were more. This woman did not listen to someone talk about being called a ni@@er and being refused respect, she lived it and saw her father killed for refusing to accept it.

Her views were totally justified, however she chose to rise above the pettiness of her own racism and be better than those who continued to forward the misguided idea of racial supremacy, if everyone was as brave, morally upright and honest, racism would have died decades ago.

Her view that it was OK to discriminate against a white farmer because of his race was justified?

I can't wait to hear this explanation.

Do tell...what made discrimination against a white farmer OK for Ms. Sherrod?

The organization she served on was a buffer between blacks and poor whites that self serving white officials failed to recognize as citizens and worthy of fair treatment under the law.

That's your spin on things.

The Federation of Southern Cooperatives land assistance Fund did their jobs in a more professional, humane, honest and moral manner than the USDA did theirs, and some of you have a problem with that??!!....oh yeah, we must all remember the people that helped serve.

"More" when federal funds are involved, isn't really the standard is it?

Even the title of this thread is a lie...I guess for some people the end result justifies the means!!

End justifies the means?

Exactly who is making the case for moral relativism concerning her actions, or lack thereof, when it was time to help a white farmer?
Sometimes it's hard for me to comprehend that people can lack common sense or will just refuse to admit they are wrong and made an error in judgement.

If you really don't get it I really feel sorry for you, fortunately some people won't feel the need to bend over backwards to ignore common sense.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What's so hard to understand about the fact that Sherrod admitted to committing a federal offense?

I'll ask the same question I asked in another thread...
Do you really want to posit that it's okay to commit a crime as long as it ends well?
Could you explain, in your mind what Federal Offense she is supposed to have committed?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
If you discriminate against any skin color except white, then yes.

"WHITE" folks are the biggest group of people who are truly judged only because of skin color. A "WHITE" person is treated harshly for the conduct of people who have been dead for a long time.
Listen to any other race of color(even some WHITE folks) when talking about "WHITE" folks, they do not make any distinction between German, European, Australian, Sweden, Russian, Polish, Irish and let’s not forget Canadian. If your skin is “WHITE” you are/were the oppressor. Yet these United States are filled with white skinned folks who settled here after the sad days of slavery, but does that matter? No, it doesn’t , because keeping a WHITE skinned person, in the year 2010, held accountable for something some other white skinned person did before June 19 1865 still justifies the need for pity and special treatment.

In short, in today's America it’s ok to treat “whitie” bad because he still deserves it.

your wrong many of them are still alive the attitudes of them are still here. they are the biter elderly who we see in the tea party clips

Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Add HUD to the list of "whites need not apply." From my personal knowledge. In Liberal Progressive Government, working white people pay the bills, for programs that benefit every other group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies