Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 12:12 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,951,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentals View Post
So if this were to be passed NJ people would not be able to collect because our three month avg is 9.5% so for .5% thousands would lose out? That is going to really PO a lot of NJ people and I'm sure many other states that are right on the edge
We, if the Senate Stabenow Tier V passes with that 7.5% trigger, there will be much joy in NJ; but if the House McDermott Tier 5 passes with the 10% trigger, it will be a non-event n NJ and a number of other states.

See past posts in this thread with more details abut the Stabenow bill (S.3706).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 12:58 PM

208 posts, read 551,174 times
McDermott is from Washington where the unemployment rate is currently under 9%...One wonders why he's using 10% as the trigger since it doesn't help his district or state.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,805,706 times
It may be 8.9% for the state but it's sure not under 9% on THIS side of his state..........

There's a big difference in jobs available in Seattle & King County (west side) as opposed to the OTHER side of the Cascades - but then WA politicians don't seem to worry about the east side too much (except to use the taxpayers monies for projects that benefit the west side).

Old 08-12-2010, 10:04 PM

11,247 posts, read 18,733,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
Hopefully the 99er rally in NYC this Thursday will help the 99ers become less "invisible" to the rest of America--the working America.

Maybe it will help make the 99ers a force to be reckoned with....and give them a united voice...

Ed Schultz has said he will be there.
Unfortunately it didn't, if the new accounts are right, less than 100 protestors, lots of Wall Streeters yelling back to "get a bleeping job", and for some reason Mike Bloomberg found some technicality in the permit law that prevented Schultz from speaking (he was there though!).

Old 08-12-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Unfortunately it didn't, if the new accounts are right, less than 100 protestors, lots of Wall Streeters yelling back to "get a bleeping job", and for some reason Mike Bloomberg found some technicality in the permit law that prevented Schultz from speaking (he was there though!).
(1) There were estimated to be about 30 protesters -- and more than 30 press representatives. Never a good sign when there are more press than protesters.

(2) Apparently the 99ers forgot to register for a sound permit, and after about ten minutes they were ordered to put away the microphone. A sound permit is not a "technicality" for a public demonstration -- it is a necessity for any demonstration where people plan to make speeches. The organizers should have known that -- certainly Ed Shultz's production people know that.

Reality check: public demonstrations require permits. The NYPD checks the permits of all demonstrations. If you are planning a demonstration, do the homework about which permits are required for which activities -- and get the permits. EOD.

America's Long-Term Unemployed Storm Wall Street In Protest

The organizational failures of this "rally" are certainly reminiscent of the "petition fiasco" a few months ago. 99ers were urged to sign an online petition, but -- despite the hype -- those organizers didn't know how to get the petition released from the website or delivered properly into the hands of a legislator.

These sorts of amateurish missteps do not "help the cause."

Old 08-13-2010, 08:09 AM

11,247 posts, read 18,733,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
(1) There were estimated to be about 30 protesters -- and more than 30 press representatives. Never a good sign when there are more press than protesters.

(2) Apparently the 99ers forgot to register for a sound permit, and after about ten minutes they were ordered to put away the microphone. A sound permit is not a "technicality" for a public demonstration -- it is a necessity for any demonstration where people plan to make speeches. The organizers should have known that -- certainly Ed Shultz's production people know that.

Reality check: public demonstrations require permits. The NYPD checks the permits of all demonstrations. If you are planning a demonstration, do the homework about which permits are required for which activities -- and get the permits. EOD.

America's Long-Term Unemployed Storm Wall Street In Protest

The organizational failures of this "rally" are certainly reminiscent of the "petition fiasco" a few months ago. 99ers were urged to sign an online petition, but -- despite the hype -- those organizers didn't know how to get the petition released from the website or delivered properly into the hands of a legislator.

These sorts of amateurish missteps do not "help the cause."
I agree with all but #1. The only place I saw "30" was the first news piece I saw (which I had posted on the "50 and on the scrapheap" thread in the Work and Employment forum and you seemed to have picked up as well....it was the only one I could find that said there were more newscasters than protesters), and it was a source with a hefty right-wing bias (no, not Fox News.....it was something I never heard of that is not "mainstream".....even Fox wouldn't emphasize in their piece quoting young Wall Streeters shouting expletives to the protesters). I know of NO mainstream news source that put it the way your/my link did. All the others portrayed it a little more "legitimately".

The NY Daily News estimated it at closer to 100 (as did the Dept. of Labor), still small, and the picture they showed suggested more than 30 there.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I agree with all but #1. The only place I saw "30" was the first news piece I saw (which I had posted on the "50 and on the scrapheap" thread in the Work and Employment forum and you seemed to have picked up as well....it was the only one I could find that said there were more newscasters than protesters), and it was a source with a hefty right-wing bias (no, not Fox News.....it was something I never heard of that is not "mainstream".....even Fox wouldn't emphasize in their piece quoting young Wall Streeters shouting expletives to the protesters). I know of NO mainstream news source that put it the way your/my link did. All the others portrayed it a little more "legitimately".

The NY Daily News estimated it at closer to 100 (as did the Dept. of Labor), still small, and the picture they showed suggested more than 30 there.
The total number of people at the event was less than 100 -- news reports which broke this down estimated about 30 protesters; the rest were press and onlookers. I don't know where you got your numbers because you've included no references. But in any event, it is apparent that the number at the rally was hardly representative in terms of the numbers of people in this area affected by the issue.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:56 PM

348 posts, read 705,246 times
Most have given up. The ones who are still hoping for a call back or some kind of light at the end of the tunnel are sickened with the stress of losing everything, and the embarrassment that goes with not being able to provide for their families. Unfortunately the hardiest hit are wishing they had $5.00 for food. That leaves a small number of people that had the financial or mental means which it takes to represent the 99ers in a good way.

Gives you an idea how bad off many are. Or you could blame it on the unemployed being to fat and lazy. Even better yet. The unemployed are to busy living it up on all of our good citizens tax money.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 PM

126 posts, read 467,047 times
I am on my last week of Tier 4. I tried calling in to the office multiple times but because of high call volume they just keep hanging up on me. Does anyone have any info on going from Tier 4 to EB in MA? Will there be a gap in payments? What information do I need if I ever do get through on the phone? Thanks!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM

640 posts, read 1,981,690 times
I've been in direct contact with the rally organizer, Kian, as well as a few of those in attendance. Total estimated 99ers--100 (there was a sign in sheet for attendees); Total estimated press (including interviewers, camermen, other peripheral press people)--100 (there was a sign in sheet for press attendees as well).

According to Kian, all permits, including one for a sound system , were in place days before the rally. Mayor Bloomberg revoked the sound permit at the last minute (I think the evening before). No reason given from him or his staff as to why they decided against allowing the 99ers to speak with a sound system.

There was a representative from the NYS Dept. of Labor there in support of the 99ers.

The rally has received positive attention from many sites, as well as some negative attention. That's the way of the world, as we all know---with the good comes the bad.

I've been told the rally was covered on several TV media shows, but don't have all the specifics on it. I didn't see Ed Schultz' show last night, but he mentioned on his radio show that he would have coverage of the rally as well as interviews with 99ers.

The 30 people report (negative press) I found came from the Business Insider
http://http://www.businessinsider.com/small-group-of-long-term-unemployed-99ers-fails-to-rattle-wall-street-2010-8 (broken link)

which was then picked up by mlive.com.

New York Newsday covered it on its front page:
Jobless LI '99ers' try to cope as benefits run out

The New York Daily News had it online within hours of the rally, but I haven't read through all my emails to find out if it was in the printed paper today:
New York's jobless 99ers channel anger in Wall Street protest, demand unemployment extension

Some Photos (from Business Insider):
Rally Photos

I'm still going through tons of emails to get fully updated on the rally.

It has been considered a great success and a great start to get the plight of the 99ers known to the general public and to put more pressure on Congress. The purpose of the rally was to get the media's attention--and it did. CNN was there, even FOX news did a piece about it on their show yesterday. Other big media and small were there, including newspapers.
Hours after the rally the organizer was still being inundated with requests from media to interview more 99ers. That's a good sign for us!!!

So, we can decide to take good from this or bad from this, it's a personal decision we each make. I'm taking good (actually, great) from it. Plans are in the works for more rallies. Hopefully the general public and the press and Congress will not be able to ignore the 99ers plea for a reasonable Tier 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies