Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:08 PM

128 posts, read 219,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Hey -- be glad those bennies still have a few bucks to spend "down the shore" !
It was never this bad but now that mtv has decided to air that horrible jersey shore show its not families here its wannabe snookies and situations. But back on topic, does anyone know what time the house is in tomorrow, 9am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg1234 View Post
question for \Ms. Diogirl, hoping to get your two cents. I am in NEW JERSEY

My tier 4 ended in the last week of June. Just got a letter about 10 days ago saying I am "Eligible for EUC 2008 with a Maximum Benefit amount under EUC of $ 11,680.

Then received the Blue Weekly Claim Form FOR Week ending 07/17/10 with Call Date for TODAY.
( Claim Remaining Balance stated $ 11,680 )

So I filed my claim ONLINE today. At the end, after pressing SUBMIT, it said I was given CREDIT BUT
" Your Claim is Not Payable at this time".

I also got the exact same message when I called in last week for ( 07/03 & 07/10) . Said I would get credit BUT Not Payable at this time.

Just want to ask you if this sounds NORMAL.
I've tried to call Dept. of Labor MANY MANY times but the system won't take my call after they as for my zip code. Always get the message- CALL at a better time.

Just want your opinion on this. Hoping I will get a retro pay on this at some point. I assume that the holdup was due to the Obama extension this week that needed to pass & be signed ??? Hopefully I will see a check sometime in future???
What you are describing is not normal for someone exhausting regular benefits and the four EUC Tiers, who is about to enter EB. But I found an earlier post in which you describe a break in receiving UI while you were employed for several months (see below).

Quote:
Now that I look back, I believe my original claim date started around Jan 2008 but found a job around March 2008 but got laid off again during the company's summer 2008 slowdown. Then, Went back to UI around July 2008.
This several-month period of employment after your original claim probably has had an effect on your eligibility for benefits -- as well as where you actually are in the sequence of extended benefits.

There could be any number of reasons why you are not being paid, but in NJ it has nothing to do with the delay in the passage of the federal unemployment benefits legislation. The message you are getting when you file means that your account has been marked in the system not to release further payments for another reason until you speak with an agent.

Specifically, (1) you continue to receive blue claim forms with an account balance; (2) the system continues to accept your filing, but the message you receive is that -- although you are being credited for the time you have reported -- benefits are not payable at this time; (3) you are not receiving payments; (4) you are receiving no further instructions.

This all indicates that you still have benefits coming to you -- but your account will not release any payments until you speak with an agent to straighten this out.

If you cannot get through on the telephone, go to a local UI office -- they have direct lines that can connect you with an agent much more quickly.

In any event, try to get this resolved ASAP.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM

14 posts, read 40,397 times
Thanks so much for your response Ms. Diogirl.

I will definitely take your advice and drop by my local UI office asap.

Thanks again

Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM

Default House Schedule for 07/11/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn026 View Post
But back on topic, does anyone know what time the house is in tomorrow, 9am?
House Schedule: July 22, 2010
House Meets At: 10:00 a.m. - Legislative Business
First Vote Predicted: 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Last Vote Predicted: 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.

• “One Minutes†(10 per side)

• Motion to Concur in the Senate Amendments to H.R. 4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 (Rep. Levin – Ways and Means) (Subject to a Rule)

• H.R. 1264 - Multiple Peril Insurance Act (Rep. Taylor – Financial Services) (Subject to a Rule)

Postponed Suspension Votes (2 Bills)
1. H.R. 5341 - To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 100 Orndorf Drive in Brighton, Michigan, as the "Joyce Rogers Post Office Building" (Rep. Dingell - Oversight and Government Reform)

2. H.R. 1469 - Child Protection Improvements Act of 2009 (Rep. Schiff - Judiciary)

* Conference Reports may be brought up at any time.
* Motions to go to Conference should they become available.
* Possible Motions to Instruct Conferees.

THE DAILY LEADER: THURSDAY, JULY 22, 2010 - House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (http://majorityleader.gov/links_and_resources/whip_resources/dailyleader.cfm?pressreleaseID=4383 - broken link)

Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 AM

285 posts, read 561,641 times
This was posted yesterday.

Senate passes H.R. 4213 after Republican stall ends. House vote and Obama signature to follow

A comment that was posted @ the above posted link. Sure hope the guy knows what he's talking about. There is a lot of hurting 99er's out there.

Quote:
Big news!

Watching the Ed Schultz Show this evening on MS-NBC, in an interview with Congressman Jim McDermott, Ed mentioned US Senator Debbie Stabenow is working on something for the 99rs. Jim McDermott added if something is to happen for the 99rs, it has to originate from the Senate. And if it gets past the Senate, it would probably get the support of Congress. He went on to mention, a 99r bill originating from Congress would probably not make it through the Senate. This is probably why Congresswoman Shelley Berkley sees an effort by her, just too big a fight. Thus it seems Congress would support 99r legislation, but the fight has to start and win the Senate first.

Since Mitch McConnell and many of his peers have expressed supporting the unemployed; but only if it can be paid for, perhaps a deal can be reached by canceling or modifying existing programs.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
This was posted yesterday.

Senate passes H.R. 4213 after Republican stall ends. House vote and Obama signature to follow

A comment that was posted @ the above posted link. Sure hope the guy knows what he's talking about. There is a lot of hurting 99er's out there.

"Big news!

"Watching the Ed Schultz Show this evening on MS-NBC, in an interview with Congressman Jim McDermott, Ed mentioned US Senator Debbie Stabenow is working on something for the 99rs. Jim McDermott added if something is to happen for the 99rs, it has to originate from the Senate. And if it gets past the Senate, it would probably get the support of Congress. He went on to mention, a 99r bill originating from Congress would probably not make it through the Senate. This is probably why Congresswoman Shelley Berkley sees an effort by her, just too big a fight. Thus it seems Congress would support 99r legislation, but the fight has to start and win the Senate first.

"Since Mitch McConnell and many of his peers have expressed supporting the unemployed; but only if it can be paid for, perhaps a deal can be reached by canceling or modifying existing programs.
"
Jim McDermott (noted above) was the Congressman who was the impassioned champion of Tiers I, II and then III and IV. His comments are in sync with these two items I posted earlier this week in a now closed thread:
Quote:
Nothing for the 99ers in the currently proposed legislation that extends eligibility cut-off dates through November 2010 -- but White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said on Monday that emergency unemployment insurance will likely be needed beyond November as millions of Americans are expected to still be out of work in the fall.

Gibbs offered no specifics about how the White House would proceed in setting in motion legislation for the additional extension -- nor whether the increasing number of 99ers would be eligible for that extension later this year. But it is considered significant that the White House is now publicly acknowledging the need to continue extending federal unemployment benefits after the mid-term elections.

Gibbs: We'll Push For Another Unemployment Benefits Extension At End Of November
White House:Jobless Benefits Likely Needed Beyond November - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100719-711284.html - broken link)

More data about the need for yet another federal unemployment benefits extension past November 2010
Unemployment Extension Fight Is Just Beginning - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
Just FYI -- there seems to be an error in that article linked above about the status of the FAC payments, and I have flagged it for the author, Mike Thornton.

The article states:
"Federal Additional Compensation Program
— This stimulus program, which provided an extra $25 per week in unemployment benefits payments, would not be extended under the bill. That means that all retroactive payments would be for $25 less than what they were before June 2nd, as will all payments in new tiers."

In fact, moving forward the new legislation should not affect anyone who previously qualified for the FAC.

A claimant has to have filed for regular unemployment benefits on or before May 23, 2010, to be eligible for the $25 weekly FAC payment. And it is true that the May 23 deadline has not been extended.

However, the prior legislation set the expiration for payment of the FAC through April 2011 -- and that deadline is still in effect.

That means if you qualified for the FAC before the May eligibility cut-off date, you will continue to receive the FAC through April 2011, or until you exhaust your UI benefits (whichever comes first).

As for whether the FAC will be retroactive, I have seen no confirmation either way on whether retroactive payments will be made to those who are still eligible for FAC payments.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,046,814 times
Quote:
question for \Ms. Diogirl, hoping to get your two cents. I am in NEW JERSEY

My tier 4 ended in the last week of June. Just got a letter about 10 days ago saying I am "Eligible for EUC 2008 with a Maximum Benefit amount under EUC of $ 11,680.

Then received the Blue Weekly Claim Form FOR Week ending 07/17/10 with Call Date for TODAY.
( Claim Remaining Balance stated $ 11,680 )

So I filed my claim ONLINE today. At the end, after pressing SUBMIT, it said I was given CREDIT BUT
" Your Claim is Not Payable at this time".

I also got the exact same message when I called in last week for ( 07/03 & 07/10) . Said I would get credit BUT Not Payable at this time.

Just want to ask you if this sounds NORMAL. I've tried to call Dept. of Labor MANY MANY times but the system won't take my call after they as for my zip code. Always get the message- CALL at a better time.

Just want your opinion on this. Hoping I will get a retro pay on this at some point. I assume that the holdup was due to the Obama extension this week that needed to pass & be signed ??? Hopefully I will see a check sometime in future???
"Eligible for EUC 2008" - I haven't heard of this. Can someone explain what kind of extension that would be?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 9,525 times
Default Can anyone help me understand something

I lost my unemployment in April, I was unable to collect EB. Unemployment told me to stop "checking in" every other week. Will I be able to collect Tier 5? Will it be retroactive from April?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,606 times
Excellent article, thank you! I always enjoy and learn from your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Jim McDermott (noted above) was the Congressman who was the impassioned champion of Tiers I, II and then III and IV. His comments are in sync with these two items I posted earlier this week in a now closed thread:

More data about the need for yet another federal unemployment benefits extension past November 2010
Unemployment Extension Fight Is Just Beginning - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies