Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 AM

18 posts, read 35,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
As expected, the Republicans blocked a vote, thus shutting down the effort -- this time via Senator George LeMieux (R-FL). LeMieux at first resisted saying he had not read the bill
I'd be happy to drive down there and read it to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 PM

107 posts, read 288,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronethanh View Post
My predictions:

-Congress reconvenes in mid-November.
-An extension of Tiers 1-4 will be presented and blocked.
-Fill in congressional mumbo jumbo
-December rolls around.
-Unemployed cries for help as they cannot afford to even keep the hot water running this Christmas, let alone buy presents.
-Congress recess for Xmas-New Years.
-Somewhere in January-February we get another extension.

they arent going to have 7 million people stuck in limbo for a few months. It would be 7 million people by february. If anything the EUC Tiers will be taken care of first

Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,977 times
I wouldn't put a bet on that one Trist. You think they are really going to agree with a lame duck session of congress and 2 weeks to get it done? I think it will happen but its going to be after it expires again. Mark my words. I always thought them pulling it back a month was a mistake from the get go. It should have went to the end of the year. Wont affect me since I will be done and a 99er by then. Still hoping for my long shot job to come through by the end of Oct though.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
I wouldn't put a bet on that one Trist. You think they are really going to agree with a lame duck session of congress and 2 weeks to get it done? I think it will happen but its going to be after it expires again. Mark my words. I always thought them pulling it back a month was a mistake from the get go. It should have went to the end of the year. Wont affect me since I will be done and a 99er by then. Still hoping for my long shot job to come through by the end of Oct though.
I agree . Dec 31 would have been better. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it going to be December, prior to this Nov date ? ( maybe I am confusing it with another bill ? )

Old 09-30-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I agree . Dec 31 would have been better. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it going to be December, prior to this Nov date ? ( maybe I am confusing it with another bill ? )
Nope your correct, They pulled it back a month to try and save money. Everyone knew it was going to have to be extended again and I say it really needs to be extended through the end of next year but they wont do that.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 PM

143 posts, read 225,113 times
It all depends what way congress goes republican or democrat at the election.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:37 PM

Its pretty much assured the republicans are going to have a lot more seats and its going to make it more difficult for people on unemployment.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:28 PM

143 posts, read 225,113 times
You never know, the rebublicans are know to want to cut taxes for the wealthy and most people right now aren't wealthy.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:08 PM

If its any indication they held up the last extension and then just yesterday they also shot down the Tier 5 from moving forward. I wouldn't hold my breath for any help from the republicans.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:37 PM

41 posts, read 76,505 times
i for one am so done with the republicans and the democrats..doesnt matter whos in office..i for one will be looking for a job come election day and i will just let the chips fall where they may...i'm a 99er and havent had a check or job since may so i'm in deep dodo..lol..but i keep looking and now with the holidays approaching i'm sure there will be more jobs in retail even if only for a few months..sometimes they do keep people on who have displayed good workmanship and i am heading in that direction..hope the rest of you do the same cause if your waiting for our government to do anything else your wrong...they are to busy sending money overseas to where most of the american jobs are anyway...i have had more bill collectors call me lately from foreign countries then i can count...i had a credit card with an american bank and when i defaulted i get to speak to someone who i cant even understand and if i ask to speak to someone i can understand i am told.." i speak perfect english"..ummmmmmmmmmmm whats the problem with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies