Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times

Advertisements

Pretty sad times when you have to pass legislation to keep your own president from passing secrets to the ruskies.

"Brooks also said the United States should be especially wary of sharing anything with Russia, in light of comments from Russia's military threatening the nation if it participates in a missile defense system in Europe.

"If Russia's defense staff is wiling to blatantly threaten the United States, why should the United States hand them the keys to technology that gives America's war fighter a decided advantage?" he asked.

Rep. Michael Turner (R-Ohio) said he supports the language as a way to shape whatever agreement Obama might be working out with Russia.

"This amendment would say, 'Mr. President, you won't tell us what your secret deal is, but that secret deal better not include sharing classified information of the United States with the Russians about our missile defense,' " he said.

"This actually may be the most critical amendment that we will consider on this bill today," said Rep. Bill Young (R-Fla.), who chairs the House Appropriations subcommittee on defense. "There should be no secret deals on our missile defense with the Russian president or any other person not involved with the security of our own nation."

House votes to prevent Obama sharing defense data with Russia - The Hill's Floor Action
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Pretty sad times when you have to pass legislation to keep your own president from passing secrets to the ruskies.

"Brooks also said the United States should be especially wary of sharing anything with Russia, in light of comments from Russia's military threatening the nation if it participates in a missile defense system in Europe.

"If Russia's defense staff is wiling to blatantly threaten the United States, why should the United States hand them the keys to technology that gives America's war fighter a decided advantage?" he asked.

Rep. Michael Turner (R-Ohio) said he supports the language as a way to shape whatever agreement Obama might be working out with Russia.

"This amendment would say, 'Mr. President, you won't tell us what your secret deal is, but that secret deal better not include sharing classified information of the United States with the Russians about our missile defense,' " he said.

"This actually may be the most critical amendment that we will consider on this bill today," said Rep. Bill Young (R-Fla.), who chairs the House Appropriations subcommittee on defense. "There should be no secret deals on our missile defense with the Russian president or any other person not involved with the security of our own nation."

House votes to prevent Obama sharing defense data with Russia - The Hill's Floor Action
Will Dirty Harry allow the Senators to see and debate this bill? I think not and even if he did Ob ama would surely veto it and it would b e impossible to get 67% of the Senators to vote for over ruling the veto.

We are screwed, like it or not unless The Won allows an election this fall. He can't afford to do that.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Commander and Chief, and allied countries.

House has been passing a lot of bills that have no basis in reality for political reasons lately.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:51 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
The reason for passing bills in the house is to get Dems, both in the house and the Senate on the record with their votes.. It allows the dems to cut their own throats.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The reason for passing bills in the house is to get Dems, both in the house and the Senate on the record with their votes.. It allows the dems to cut their own throats.
Yes, and that sure shows what the number one priority of the Republicans in Congress is (hint: it ain't the economy).

Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:

You keep on thinking that. Republicans are getting dangerously close to ignoring the economy for stupid laws like this.

Every elected politician should remember, this election isn't about foreign policy. It isn't about gun control. It isn't about healthcare.

Its about the economy, period. Its the only reason Obama could lose, and its part of the reason why Romney was such a stupid pick for the GOP nomination.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Yes, and that sure shows what the number one priority of the Republicans in Congress is (hint: it ain't the economy).
The house has passed budgets for the last two years, led by republicans. (Which I am not a republican.. Just my observation) What has the Senate done other than obstruct? Absolutely nothing. The resident of the white house submitted a budget that was stupid and he knew it wouldn't even get support in the senate. It wasn't meant to pass. Don't bother telling me or any other reasonable person what the "republicans priority" is. It's pretty obvious that the only "priority" of the democrats is obstructionism.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
The house has passed budgets for the last two years, led by republicans. (Which I am not a republican.. Just my observation) What has the Senate done other than obstruct? Absolutely nothing. The resident of the white house submitted a budget that was stupid and he knew it wouldn't even get support in the senate. It wasn't meant to pass. Don't bother telling me or any other reasonable person what the "republicans priority" is. It's pretty obvious that the only "priority" of the democrats is obstructionism.
Ok, but the budgets passed by the house, that I've seen, would cut programs that many people in many districts don't want to see done away with. So the Senate could be seen as obstructing, or the house could be seen as passing bills with no chance at passing, because the voters don't support them.

The Presidents budget was no better, I'll grant you that, but our government, and both parties, have been a massive failure over the last 12 years.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:08 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times
When and how specifically did Russia "threaten" the U.S?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,315 times
Quote:
Who would have thought the POTUS was even capable of giveing away classifed information. If Obama
hadn't been caught (red handed at that) telling Putin's aid that "you can tell your boss I can do more after I'm re-elected", it never would have crossed my mind.

This is the first president that I know of to give away things like the "European Defence Shield" without
anything in return. He panders to the Soviet's and then wonders why they push him around. Go figure
that--------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies