Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 04:02 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
So you're saying urban people are too dumb to keep their ID's in their wallets? I've lived rural, urban and suburbs. I've always had my ID on me. If you have a legal ID, verification is not an issue. You show a driver's license, military or other ID and vote. If you happen to be 95 and never had a driver's license or other ID, a free ID will be issued to you. Presenting an ID when checking in would take no longer than showing it to buy liquor. Takes longer than that to find the person's page in the book & check him off.

Next objection?
It suffice to say you have no clue what I am saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 04:04 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The issue is not about registering to vote, the issue is about requiring ID when actually voting... don't try to flip the issue. It is physically impossible for me to obtain an ID on Election Day even if it only costs $14. Even if it was FREE it would be impossible.
Then get one ahead of time, what ever happened to being a responsible citizen and taking care of yourself? If you know that a snow storm is coming to NYC do you wait until it's on the ground before you look for your coat?

Old 03-17-2011, 04:09 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123
Good afternoon,

In regards to the portion in bold, how is requiring you to have an ID that's $14 in your home state not allowing you to vote? It's only $14. I grew up in a poor household, in one of the poorest neighborhoods within a state that's near the bottom rankings of poverty and I STILL easily found a few bucks (under $20) when I really wanted something as a kid.

If you really want to vote, you'll find the $14. Using the "not getting an ID on Election Day" is a red herring, since many states close new registrations weeks before Election Day anyway. In your home state of New York, for November 3, 2010 elections voter registration was closed on October 22, 2010.

New York State Board of Elections Voting Page (http://www.elections.state.ny.us/voting.html - broken link)

That's more than enough time to go and purchase a $14 ID card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The issue is not about registering to vote, the issue is about requiring ID when actually voting... don't try to flip the issue. It is physically impossible for me to obtain an ID on Election Day even if it only costs $14. Even if it was FREE it would be impossible.
Good afternoon,

I am not trying to flip anything, registration and Election Day go hand in hand for people referenced in this thread (poor people who have never had IDs). If you're saying you're disabled and can't physically go and get an ID, then I'm all for making provisions for you through a government organization.

I'm not sure if you understand my post. If you plan to vote on Election Day, you must register prior to Election day. Registration periods IN YOUR STATE of New York ended on October 22nd, 2010, a week and a half before the November 3rd, 2010 Election Day. That's more than enough time to find $14 and go purchase an ID before November 3rd, even if you wait until the final day to register and are somehow able to register without proving who you are.

Obtaining an ID on Election Day is a straw man, because you wouldn't be allowed to vote on Election Day in your state, even if you did have an ID, because you didn't register previously.

Even if a person is already registered and is "forced" to buy a $6.50 elderly or $14 non-elderly ID to vote, there would be plenty of time given to allow folks to comply with the new law. If someone waited until Election Day to buy an ID to vote, obviously voting wasn't that important to them since voting and Election Day is plastered everywhere for months prior.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:27 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon,

A state ID card in your state of Florida costs $25. Even a poor underage person can find / save $25 for something that's important to them.

DHSMV: Motorist Services Fees

Let's keep the politics out of it, unless you want to blame a specific political party for the numerous transactions and situations that require ID in this country.
Sorry but you shouldn't have to ANYTHING IN ORDER TO VOTE. If you HAVE TO HAVE an I.D. in order to vote then the state government should furnish citizens with one free of charge.

Why? Any payment requirement related to voting constitures a back door poll tax for federal election.

Quote:
Amendment 24 - Poll Tax Barred. Ratified 1/23/1964. History

1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:56 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It suffice to say you have no clue what I am saying.
Well enlighten me. Try again. I responded to your concerns you listed.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
You obviously have never had a job that required long hours at a single site...If you did you would know it prevents you from doing all sorts of stuff.
I've had jobs where I worked as much as 18 hours a day on some projects. I never had a boss tell me I couldn't take time to vote.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I always proudly voted for Ted Kennedy.
Fortunately you never rode in his car, I assume?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Do you really want this man to not be allowed to vote? With no permanent address, how would you propose he get this I.D. you think is so critical to being able to vote?
Does he vote now? Where is he registered? Reporter mentioned him moving around all the time, does he register in each new place he goes? Him being able to get an ID is 1 of the details to work out. Maybe allow address of "streets of Tampa"? What does he do for ID now if he needs it for something?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Sorry but you shouldn't have to ANYTHING IN ORDER TO VOTE. If you HAVE TO HAVE an I.D. in order to vote then the state government should furnish citizens with one free of charge.

Why? Any payment requirement related to voting constitures a back door poll tax for federal election.
Good morning,

This was already resolved yesterday in Post# 123.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123
Well, I guess we've bridged the gap and have resolved our differences on this topic. "Free" IDs are fine with me, even though I believe everyone can pay for their own and probably already have one, even the poorest of us.

I'm sure the program wouldn't cost much taxpayer money since most people wouldn't need to apply for the "Free State ID for Voters" program since they would already have one.
As you can see, you and I agree here.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I have to give my ID when pulled over,buy cold medicine
Why not when i vote?Shouldnt every citizen have ID?

I am not a dem or a liberal, and I do not want any voter ID either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies