Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,849,967 times

Advertisements

Gov't watchdogs: mortgage program is not working - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bailout-watchdog-calls-apf-1527849934.html?x=0 - broken link)

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Government watchdogs told a Senate panel Wednesday that the Obama administration's effort to help homeowners avoid foreclosure isn't working and that the Treasury Department has failed to fix the program.

Special inspector general for the financial bailouts Neil Barofsky said the program has not "put an appreciable dent in foreclosure filings," during a Senate Finance Committee hearing on the $700 billion bank bailout. He also said the Treasury Department has ignored earlier demands that it set clearer goals for the program.
This program was destined to fail, due to the fact that many of those losing their homes shouldn't have been homeowners in the first place. They were granted a mortgage based on inadequate income and poor credit history and the fact they couldn't afford the home from the outset, but why should those little details get in the way of giving everyone a home of their own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:27 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,241,372 times
It's also the case that many on HAMP are being denied. Banks took the bailout money but are refusing to play nice. Even though my HAMP was approved, there's a class action lawsuit against Wells Fargo concerning cases like mine seeking compensation for punitive damages. I expect those who were in real trouble (I was never in real danger of being foreclosed) will receive huge sums of money due to the deceit of denying qualified folks and 2 weeks later putting them on foreclosure notice.

I was never a proponent of HAMP, but got my mortgage modified simply due to a technicality. If you can scam the system, I say go for it.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,779,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This program was destined to fail, due to the fact that many of those losing their homes shouldn't have been homeowners in the first place. They were granted a mortgage based on inadequate income and poor credit history and the fact they couldn't afford the home from the outset, but why should those little details get in the way of giving everyone a home of their own?
You do know all those predatory loans were given out during the bush admin after W took the reigns off of big banks,..

Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,911,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
You do know all those predatory loans were given out during the bush admin after W took the reigns off of big banks,..
I guess whomever actually signed the loan shares not responsibility huh? They were just duped into buying something that was clearly too good to be true.

Say hi to Tattoo for me if you happen to bump into him on Fantasy Island.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,940,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
In addition, many of them arent making enough on unemployment to cover their day to day living expenses.. ITS JOBS needed, not gimmick programs.. Why dont they get it?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
It was AAA credit mortgages that defaulted first.. Are you aware of that, or was this yet another reason to bash Bush for something he had nothing to do with?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's also the case that many on HAMP are being denied. Banks took the bailout money but are refusing to play nice. Even though my HAMP was approved, there's a class action lawsuit against Wells Fargo concerning cases like mine seeking compensation for punitive damages. I expect those who were in real trouble (I was never in real danger of being foreclosed) will receive huge sums of money due to the deceit of denying qualified folks and 2 weeks later putting them on foreclosure notice.

I was never a proponent of HAMP, but got my mortgage modified simply due to a technicality. If you can scam the system, I say go for it.
The problem with the HAMP program, is it negatively affects your credit rating.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:37 AM

45,071 posts, read 60,120,172 times
Quote:

Note the dates referenced in the links:

Predatory lending: A historical perspective on the history of predatory lending and how these scams work.

History of Subprime and Predatory Lending : Financial Crisis Monitor

http://research.stlouisfed.org/publi...mPennCross.pdf

History of Predatory Lending Statute (http://www.scconsumer.gov/legal/history.htm - broken link)

Google

I'm tired now.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,575,452 times
The frigging idiots in Washington didn't realize that there was already a process in place to deal with this mess. Its called BANKRUPTCY.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:45 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,575,452 times
Quote:
Explain how Bush caused the sub prime lending crisis. I don't see his ranch in foreclosure. Or maybe in frustration the brain keeps going back to the good old days of having Bush to blame when the boogieman comes out of the closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies