Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so let me get this straight

sally and I work for the exact same company , we have the same job...sally because she is a woman cant lift as much as I acan, and gets an extra day off a month, because its that time of the month...I do twice the work of her and you say she should get paid just as much as me because her TITLE is the same......how about PAY FOR PERFORMANCE
An extra day off a month for cramps? Where do you work, 'cause I wanna work there! And any job I had that required lifting had minimum requirements for the job, and not different ones for men & women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It doesn't matter. The employer is still going to be sued and it's cheaper to settle. Say goodbye to raises for ANYONE! We are all going to work for the same crappy wages females accept.
1 pay grade for all is something that Obama has said that he wanted. It looks like he is trying to get it too.

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think it's great people are fighting this in order to keep a 25% discount for people's labor based on gender.

/snark

Great!

Now the discount extends to EVERYONE!

Happy now?

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

So let me get this straight.

John and Sally both work for a company that has an illegal policy of paying women 25% less than men for the same job.

John and Sally both leave that company and go to work for another company, doing the same job.

The new company has a policy of paying new employees 10% more than they did on their previous job.

Sally gets paid a lot less than John purely because the new employer's policy institutionalizes the sexual discrimination of the previous company.

And you think that's okay?
I think Sally should approach her new boss with industry standard salary statistics and say "I am being paid 25% below what is average for my position and I am a high performer in this company, can I have a raise to normalize my salary?"

And then she is paid the same as John.

Was that so hard???

Old 07-21-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
An extra day off a month for cramps? Where do you work, 'cause I wanna work there! And any job I had that required lifting had minimum requirements for the job, and not different ones for men & women.
I have a friend that has the weight situation going on at his job. There is a female working there getting the same pay as him, but he has to do ALL the heavy lifting which is part of the job. They got her a forklift thing, but she can't even use it so he still does all this for her. How is that fair if someone has to do some of their job FOR them on a daily basis but gets the same pay?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:06 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I have a friend that has the weight situation going on at his job. There is a female working there getting the same pay as him, but he has to do ALL the heavy lifting which is part of the job. They got her a forklift thing, but she can't even use it so he still does all this for her. How is that fair if someone has to do some of their job FOR them on a daily basis but gets the same pay?
It's not. If she can't do the job, even using assistive devices supplied by her employer, she either needs to be let go or offered a position that she is capable of performing. Company policy is likely that x job gets x pay.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:06 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,346,453 times
Now Obama's pitting the sexes against each other because racism is passe or to keep everyones attentions off the oil in the gulf and the heavy spending in DC?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
What came to mind for me is that they are looking at a possible wage scale for private businesses similar to the government scale down the road.

2010 Salary Tables and Related Information

Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Pay gap is a huge fraud. It's a result of decisions women make in life.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
It's not. If she can't do the job, even using assistive devices supplied by her employer, she either needs to be let go or offered a position that she is capable of performing. Company policy is likely that x job gets x pay.
I agree, but in today's lawyer happy world she could sue them for discrimination, even if it is total BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies