Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so let me get this straight

sally and I work for the exact same company , we have the same job...sally because she is a woman cant lift as much as I acan, and gets an extra day off a month, because its that time of the month...I do twice the work of her and you say she should get paid just as much as me because her TITLE is the same......how about PAY FOR PERFORMANCE
1. If you're not doing the same work you're not doing the same job.

2. I've never heard of any employer giving female employees an extra day off every month. For that matter, I've never met a woman who claims to need an extra day off a month because it is, as you so quaintly put it "that time of the month".

Buy a ticket back to reality, then we'll talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post

If a woman is doing the exact same quality of work in the same position as a man and is receiving 23% less money then she either needs to get her resume up to date or needs to talk to her manager about the situation. If the company values her they will address her concern. If not then she should go to another company that will value her. The company will lose a valued employee and if this happens enough times the company will go under.

Problem solved!
Well, this part of your post I agree with. My wife is in exactly that situation. Problem is she just flat refuses to push the issue with her manager. She is in a mid level management position with a major corporation. She has her MBA and her CPA. Said corporation has well defined pay grades defined by job title, performance, and some other factors. The company has supposedly "frozen wages" even when the employee has been given stellar performance reviews and promoted twice in the last five years, which is the case with my wife.

I mean, it would be kind of a d**k move, but the argument could be made that the reason for her undercompensation is in fact her gender. She works with mostly men who are being compensated according to the guidelines the company set for their pay grades. So, a person has to wonder, what gives?

Oh, and if it were just 3k like in the example given previously, it might not be worth bitching about. In my wife's case, the figure is closer to 25K... No kidding...

Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats BS to.

If you're in the military, you should have to face the same physical standards as everyone else.

40 pushups, 40 situps, and running 2 miles in 16 minute can be done by just about anyone, male or female.

Equal rights, means equal responsibility.
I agree...seems a bit strange that society states the two sexes are equal,but we have different standards for the sexes because of the physical differences...

Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Well, this part of your post I agree with. My wife is in exactly that situation. Problem is she just flat refuses to push the issue with her manager. She is in a mid level management position with a major corporation. She has her MBA and her CPA. Said corporation has well defined pay grades defined by job title, performance, and some other factors. The company has supposedly "frozen wages" even when the employee has been given stellar performance reviews and promoted twice in the last five years, which is the case with my wife.

I mean, it would be kind of a d**k move, but the argument could be made that the reason for her undercompensation is in fact her gender. She works with mostly men who are being compensated according to the guidelines the company set for their pay grades. So, a person has to wonder, what gives?

Oh, and if it were just 3k like in the example given previously, it might not be worth bitching about. In my wife's case, the figure is closer to 25K... No kidding...
What gives is...... "If you snooze you lose". She has to approach them about it.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats BS to.

If you're in the military, you should have to face the same physical standards as everyone else.

40 pushups, 40 situps, and running 2 miles in 16 minute can be done by just about anyone, male or female.

Equal rights, means equal responsibility.
uhmmm

NO

the female body is different and they have less upper body strenght

it is also different for different ages

male 18-21 ....push up(to pass) 42.....max 71
....................sit up..............53.............78
....................2 mile run.....15:54.........13:00

female 18-21....push up (to pass) 19.....max 42
.....................sit up.........53................78
...................2 mile run.......18:54.......15:36

Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I the end govenment does a poor job in these areas ebcause its a impossible job really.I mean they can't even cover review of income tax adequately much less pursue these in any meaningful way in court actions.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Not long ago it wasn't uncommon for companies to pay men more for the same work because "they had a family to support" while women were either just supporting themselves or working for extra income. If there is still any disparity in wages leftover from this kind of thinking it really does need to go away. And if that takes a legal push I'm all for that.

And as far as physical capabilities go, nobody should get more money becasue they can do more pushups than someone else. If they are hired to do the same job they should get the same pay. End of story.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhmmm

NO

the female body is different and they have less upper body strenght

it is also different for different ages

male 18-21 ....push up(to pass) 42.....max 71
....................sit up..............53.............78
....................2 mile run.....15:54.........13:00

female 18-21....push up (to pass) 19.....max 42
.....................sit up.........53................78
...................2 mile run.......18:54.......15:36
If you're a soldier, you should meet the same physical standards.

Almost any woman can do 40 push-ups in three minutes.

Sit ups are equal now, I'm shocked, thats changed.

And most of the girls beat me on the run time, so that whole difference in run time thing is a joke too.

If I'm at war, driving a tanker across the desert with a female navigator, and we are hit with a IED, I don't want to slow down for her ass if I've got to run.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The purpose of the bill is to stop
(i) providing a solution to problems in the economy created by unfair pay disparities;

The law opens up companies to lawsuits who pay individuals different amounts even though they have the same title. Solution, dont give people different amounts, and yes, this would include payraises, and dumb down any payraises to make everyone the same in order to avoid being sued...
So in other words, it doesn't say that employers will not be allowed to give raises to some people and not others. You are just making it up.

UNFAIR pay disparities are things like discrimination based on sex, not pay disparities based on performance.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
The legislation is based upon the liberal lie that women make $0.77 on the dollar when compared to men working the same job. A lie, perpetuated by the liberal media, that has already been exposed years ago.

When it comes to pay discrimination, the one statistic you hear over and over is that women make only $0.77 for every dollar a man earns. To the average person, that ratio gives the false impression that any woman working is at risk of being paid 23 cents less per dollar than a man in the same position. But all the wage-gap ratio reflects is a comparison of the median earnings of all working women and men who log at least 35 hours a week on the job, any job. That's it!

It doesn't compare those with equal work, equal training, equal education or equal tenure. Nor does it take into account the hours of overtime worked. The wage gap, in short, "is a good measure of inequality, not necessarily a measure of discrimination," said Heidi Hartmann, president of the Institute for Women's Policy Research in February 2006.

Lower pay for women is primarily a result of their career choices, choices which tend to favor quality of life over earning money — while men tend to make the opposite choices, favoring money over quality of life. This is according to Warren Farrell elected three times to the board of the National Organization for Women in New York City. Women choose lower-paying professions than men; they move in and out of the workforce more frequently than men; and they work fewer paid hours on average than men. A 2001 survey of business owners with MBAs conducted by the Rochester Institute of Technology found that money was the primary motivator for only 29% of women, versus 76% of men.

When comparing men and women salaries in the same profession, with the same training, and the same number of hours worked, women are actually paid slightly more than men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies