Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 02:12 PM

640 posts, read 389,262 times

Advertisements

Byron Williams was on his way to "start a revolultion".......do you think Williams would have been aware of The Tides Foundation without Glenn Beck's focus on the organization?

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.co...._show_video.p hp

'The Tides Foundation, which prosecutors in California say was among the targets of the anti-government unemployed carpenter Byron Williams before he got into a chaotic shootout with several law enforcement officers Sunday, is also a favorite topic of Fox News host Glenn Beck...............

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only, per the Terms of Service.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-24-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:46 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,235,880 times
Byron Williams: Shared the same name, but that is about all

"How ironic that many who languish on America's economic margins have their anger cajoled, inveigled and prodded by a misguided populism, such as that of right-wing talk show host Glenn Beck, who reportedly made $32 million last year.

Williams represents the lower echelon of a coalition that is almost unique to America. It is one where those who are already economically stimulated work in tandem with those on the margins under the guise of populism, but, in reality, it is to protect the interest of a few on the top.

This is nothing new. If one removes the poor Southern white from the equation, whose economic situation was not much better than the African slave, the South could not have fielded a Confederate Army.

If indeed Williams was angry with so-called left-wing politicians, it would suggest he was irate with elected officials who wanted to extend unemployment benefits to those who were not working, while siding with those who opposed such extensions. He must also have wanted to renew President George W. Bush's tax cuts, which would cost taxpayers an estimated $3 trillion over the next decade.

This extreme populism arms its followers almost exclusively with shibboleths and emotion. This is how you have published reports of Williams shouting about "the way Congress was railroading through all these left-wing agenda items."

Would that be expanding the number of individuals who can have access to health care? Or would it be to have a filibuster-proof majority so that unemployment benefits can be extended?"

Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,079,707 times
More of the Rich Run as Populist Outsiders

"Even as voters express outrage at the insider culture of big bailouts and bonuses, their search for political saviors has led them to this: a growing crowd of über-rich candidates, comfortable in boardrooms and country clubs, spending a fortune to remake themselves into populist insurgents."

Delude the stupid poor into voting for items to help the rich. I love the pure bastard quotient of gall required to do so, and the savvy to pull it off. I love watching people rant and rave constantly about voting for things that will only bend them over and screw them. They won't realize it till they are hurting.

I have my own experience, just recently where a good gentleman starting grouching about how all the Demon-crats were going to destroy everyone by paying for health care for everyone (one big bogyman of the rich, since the tax cuts are expiring) and should get rid of Medicare/Medicaid and Social security. Well giving him a look over in his wheelchair, O2 tank, and looking very old I asked how he paid for his health care and maintained his standard of living. Well, he was disabled from emphysema and heart failure so he has had Medicare from about 60 to him being 70 now. His pension was gone from the timber mill (being a woody place Oregon), so he drew Social Security. I asked how he would live if he would get rid of them as he wished a few minutes ago. His answer was to call me an A-hole.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,235,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
More of the Rich Run as Populist Outsiders

"Even as voters express outrage at the insider culture of big bailouts and bonuses, their search for political saviors has led them to this: a growing crowd of über-rich candidates, comfortable in boardrooms and country clubs, spending a fortune to remake themselves into populist insurgents."

Delude the stupid poor into voting for items to help the rich. I love the pure bastard quotient of gall required to do so, and the savvy to pull it off. I love watching people rant and rave constantly about voting for things that will only bend them over and screw them. They won't realize it till they are hurting.

I have my own experience, just recently where a good gentleman starting grouching about how all the Demon-crats were going to destroy everyone by paying for health care for everyone (one big bogyman of the rich, since the tax cuts are expiring) and should get rid of Medicare/Medicaid and Social security. Well giving him a look over in his wheelchair, O2 tank, and looking very old I asked how he paid for his health care and maintained his standard of living. Well, he was disabled from emphysema and heart failure so he has had Medicare from about 60 to him being 70 now. His pension was gone from the timber mill (being a woody place Oregon), so he drew Social Security. I asked how he would live if he would get rid of them as he wished a few minutes ago. His answer was to call me an A-hole.
I love that PBQ too. I admire Roger Ailes, a LOT. But it's ultimately just cruel -- can be a tragedy, like the hoodwinked trusting good gentleman. Just cruelty.

It's awful the unions have such a bad reputation -- with good reason in some cases, I know -- but collective bargaining is the only protection workers really have, and these folks have been successful in demonizing it. What's the alternative? Nothing. Trust.

Great perceptive article by the way! So many of these things seem to be from some dystopic black comedy. And probably if these guys were to watch the exact same stuff -- Glenn Beck verbatim, the NYT article events -- in a comedy movie, they'd be disgusted too.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:27 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,335,313 times
Nuts with guns trying to kill people because Glenn Beck tells them they're bad.

That sounds like the right wing to me.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 AM

640 posts, read 389,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Nuts with guns trying to kill people because Glenn Beck tells them they're bad.

That sounds like the right wing to me.

IMO, Glenn Beck's message is, as Rachel Maddow pointed out, for white people to be very AFRAID of black people because black people are coming to get them....(NBPP, Obama, etc. etc)........it's more of the infamous Southern Strategy being played out in 2010. And that Southern Strategy apparently has a strong appeal to nut cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies