Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:38 AM

37,671 posts, read 21,803,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So specifically, what was Breitbart's lie?

Sharrod not a racist?

She worked for an organization in the 1980s that received federal funds and deliberately discriminated against a white farmer. Should she have such a high position, or any position, in the federal government today or ever?

Aren't non-profits which receive federal funds required to treat all people the same regardless of race?

"I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So, I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough so that when he -- I -- I assumed the Department of Agriculture had sent him to me, either that or the -- or the Georgia Department of Agriculture. And he needed to go back and report that I did try to help him.So I took him to a white lawyer that we had -- that had...attended some of the training that we had provided, 'cause Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farmer. So I figured if I take him to one of them that his own kind would take care of him."

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/shirleysherrodnaacpfreedom.htm

"We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers.

Her actions were shameful. While she went on to explain in the story that she ultimately realized her mistake, as well as the common predicament of working people of all races, she gave no indication she had attempted to right the wrong she had done to this man.

The reaction from many in the audience is disturbing. We will be looking into the behavior of NAACP representatives at this local event and take any appropriate action."

SHOCK: Racism At NAACP Event? - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/topstories/tea.party.naacp.2.1812710.html - broken link)
..and if you listen further, Sherrod, while trying to act as if she is now post racial, she complains about a perceived racism she saw surrounding the process of passing the health care bill, where she uses the vernacular of "they" and "we" to describe blacks and whites as racially divided and separate groups. It dovetails with her racist comments about find the farmer a lawyer "of his own kind" to help him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,042,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
..and if you listen further, Sherrod, while trying to act as if she is now post racial, she complains about a perceived racism she saw surrounding the process of passing the health care bill, where she uses the vernacular of "they" and "we" to describe blacks and whites as racially divided and separate groups. It dovetails with her racist comments about find the farmer a lawyer "of his own kind" to help him.

Did you skip the part where the farmer she spoke about says Sherrod HELPED HIM SAVE HIS FARM??

Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM

38,608 posts, read 26,228,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Would you also agree that the fact that an edited video offered as "truth" villifying a woman who is clearly innocent, is wrong? By the way, the white farmer said Ms. Sherrod helped save his farm. see below:

Right the wrong? I beg to differ.

NAACP 'snookered' over video of former USDA employee - CNN.com

"I don't know what brought up the racist mess," Roger Spooner told CNN's "Rick's List." "They just want to stir up some trouble, it sounds to me in my opinion."

Spooner says Sherrod accompanied him and his wife to a lawyer in Americus, Georgia, who was able to help them file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which ultimately saved their farm.

"If it hadn't been for her, we would've never known who to see or what to do," he said. "She led us right to our success."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Breitbart can offer excuse after excuse on the "why" of what he did, but it boils down to an effort by him to to "get back" at the NAACP for asking the Tea Party to reject the racist fringe that has attached itself to an otherwise legitimate group.

I appreciate her repentance, but even the NAACP pointed out that she did nothing to correct the wrong done this farmer whose only crime was being white.

The organization she worked for received federal funds. No organization that receives federal funds may freely discriminate against people based on race. You can't vilify her because by her own admission, she was the villain. By what objective standard is she, as you claim, innocent?

That she later took to another lawyer doesn't send all concerned back in time. She applied a different standard to this man because he was white and for no other reason.

"[SIZE=2]The first time I was faced with having to help a white farmer save his farm, he -- he took a long time talking, but he was trying to show me he was superior to me. I know what he was doing. But he had come to me for help. What he didn't know while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me, was I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him.[/SIZE]
[LEFT][SIZE=2]I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So, I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough so that when he -- I -- I assumed the Department of Agriculture had sent him to me, either that or the -- or the Georgia Department of Agriculture. And he needed to go back and report that I did try to help him.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]So I took him to a white lawyer that we had -- that had...attended some of the training that we had provided, 'cause Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farmer. So I figured if I take him to one of them that his own kind would take care of him."[/SIZE]

American Rhetoric: Shirley Sherrod - Speech at the NAACP 20th Freedom Fund Banquet

[/LEFT]

You don't get to ignore my question and move on to your own so as to change the subject.

I agree with Mr. Jealous that their reaction is disturbing.

Wouldn't you also agree?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,812,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Perhaps on your part. Sherrod admitted to committing a federal offense.

Do you really want to posit that it's okay to commit a crime as long as it ends well?
Exactly

Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM

38,608 posts, read 26,228,305 times
Quote:
Informed Consent and Momomonkey: The farmer mentioned in her speech says she helped save his farm.

...or did you miss that part?

Guess he would have been really happy if he had received the full force of Ms. Sherrod's help the first time.

"[SIZE=2]I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So, I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough so that when he -- I -- I assumed the Department of Agriculture had sent him to me, either that or the -- or the Georgia Department of Agriculture. And he needed to go back and report that I did try to help him.[/SIZE]
[LEFT][SIZE=2]So I took him to a white lawyer that we had -- that had...attended some of the training that we had provided, 'cause Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farmer. So I figured if I take him to one of them that his own kind would take care of him."[/SIZE]

American Rhetoric: Shirley Sherrod - Speech at the NAACP 20th Freedom Fund Banquet

[/LEFT]
Later repenting, while admirable, doesn't change history.

Now, about the reaction of those in the room...

Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,555,929 times
We should have known Breibart wasn't credible. When Drudge started linking his articles on his report a few years ago, that should have tipped everyone off right there.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 AM

37,671 posts, read 21,803,307 times
Quote:
Would you also agree that the fact that an edited video offered as "truth" villifying a woman who is clearly innocent, is wrong? By the way, the white farmer said Ms. Sherrod helped save his farm. see below:

Right the wrong? I beg to differ.

NAACP 'snookered' over video of former USDA employee - CNN.com

"I don't know what brought up the racist mess," Roger Spooner told CNN's "Rick's List." "They just want to stir up some trouble, it sounds to me in my opinion."

Spooner says Sherrod accompanied him and his wife to a lawyer in Americus, Georgia, who was able to help them file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which ultimately saved their farm.

"If it hadn't been for her, we would've never known who to see or what to do," he said. "She led us right to our success."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Breitbart can offer excuse after excuse on the "why" of what he did, but it boils down to an effort by him to to "get back" at the NAACP for asking the Tea Party to reject the racist fringe that has attached itself to an otherwise legitimate group.
Yeah, she did not want to help whitey, so she washed her hands of him by dumping him off on someone of "his own kind", and that to you proves she was not a racist?

The most detestable form of racism, is when someone working in a professional capacity to aid people in dire or desperate circumstances, and they act upon their racial bigotry. These people she was supposed to be serving were at their most vulnerable, and she took of advantage of them.

It was not Ms. Sherrod who helped the farmer, is was the white lawyer she dumped him off on. How many white people were not helped by her, before this one incident where she finally felt some measure of guilt for her actions?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I appreciate her repentance, but even the NAACP pointed out that she did nothing to correct the wrong done this farmer whose only crime was being white.

The organization she worked for received federal funds. No organization that receives federal funds may freely discriminate against people based on race. You can't vilify her because by her own admission, she was the villain. By what objective standard is she, as you claim, innocent?

That she later took to another lawyer doesn't send all concerned back in time. She applied a different standard to this man because he was white and for no other reason.

"[SIZE=2]The first time I was faced with having to help a white farmer save his farm, he -- he took a long time talking, but he was trying to show me he was superior to me. I know what he was doing. But he had come to me for help. What he didn't know while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me, was I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him.[/SIZE]
[LEFT][SIZE=2]I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So, I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough so that when he -- I -- I assumed the Department of Agriculture had sent him to me, either that or the -- or the Georgia Department of Agriculture. And he needed to go back and report that I did try to help him.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]So I took him to a white lawyer that we had -- that had...attended some of the training that we had provided, 'cause Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farmer. So I figured if I take him to one of them that his own kind would take care of him."[/SIZE]

[/LEFT]

You don't get to ignore my question and move on to your own so as to change the subject.

I agree with Mr. Jealous that their reaction is disturbing.

Wouldn't you also agree?
Absolutely; however, ruining a woman with edited video is egregious.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Yeah, she did not want to help whitey, so she washed her hands of him by dumping him off on someone of "his own kind", and that to you proves she was not a racist?

The most detestable form of racism, is when someone working in a professional capacity to aid people in dire or desperate circumstances, and they act upon their racial bigotry. These people she was supposed to be serving were at their most vulnerable, and she took of advantage of them.

It was not Ms. Sherrod who helped the farmer, is was the white lawyer she dumped him off on. How many white people were not helped by her, before this one incident where she finally felt some measure of guilt for her actions?

Is Ms. Sherrod a bankruptcy lawyer? read it again. This time with both eyes.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:59 AM

88,573 posts, read 44,294,084 times
Quote:
Absolutely; however, ruining a woman with edited video is egregious.
No. Showing Sherrod admitting to a federal offense for which she has never had to answer is not egregious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies