Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:06 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times

Advertisements

While undoubtedly Fannie and Freddie had a role in the financial crisis, isn't it both intellectually dishonest and reductionistic to suggest they were the CAUSE of the financial crisis?

Furthermore, isn't the financial reform bill a good thing that should be more or less universally supported? The major criticism I hear is that Fannie and Freddie were excluded. While I agree that this is a shortcoming, it seems to me that the bill will do good, protect consumers (people) and help lower the chance of a repeat performance of the greed that got us in to the financial mess in the first place...

If you think the bill is problematic and shouldn't have been passed, what would you propose congress should have done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:10 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
While undoubtedly Fannie and Freddie had a role in the financial crisis, isn't it both intellectually dishonest and reductionistic to suggest they were the CAUSE of the financial crisis?

Furthermore, isn't the financial reform bill a good thing that should be more or less universally supported? The major criticism I hear is that Fannie and Freddie were excluded. While I agree that this is a shortcoming, it seems to me that the bill will do good, protect consumers (people) and help lower the chance of a repeat performance of the greed that got us in to the financial mess in the first place...

If you think the bill is problematic and shouldn't have been passed, what would you propose congress should have done?
I think it's dishones and reductionistic to say any one cause is the cause. As you say Fannie and Freddie had a role, and I don't like that politics are keeping them out of the bill. It makes is pretty clear that politics are coming before addressing the problem completely.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
No. not red herrings.

next question

Old 07-16-2010, 02:19 PM

175 posts, read 113,388 times
Quote:

Yes it's intellectually dishonest and reductionistic to the nth degree to say that Fannie and Freddie were the cause. Their potential omission from the Reform Bill, as an excuse not to support the bill, is just that - an excuse.

If Fannie and Freddie had been included they simply would have found another reason, "there was no Glass-Steagall", "it adds too much government control", "it will kill jobs"...

...all rationales that have recently been floated here on CD for why the bill shouldn't have passed. Their logic makes as much sense as saying, your car needs to have it's tires rotated, the oil changed, and the alternator replaced, but because you failed to rotate the tires you refuse to do anything at all.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:22 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
No. If you had read Pinto's article, you wouldn't be asking that question. Fannie and Freddie precipitated both the easy money lending (so lenders could meet CRA requirements), and the artificially distorted over-demand for housing which created the bubble.
RealClearMarkets - How Did Paul Krugman Get It So Wrong?

How was all that money for the trillions of dollars of loans created? Fannie and Freddie securitized the trillions of dollars of mortgages they bought from the lenders, sold those securities to banks, investors, foreign governments, etc., those securities were hedged (it would be extremely foolish not to), and when the inevitable defaults (remember, the loans were made to those who were poor credit risks) started gathering steam, the whole thing came crashing down.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,526,325 times
The details will provide a much clearer view on this

However anything that has Todd & Franks stamped to
it leads me to believe that people who can not afford
some things should not be extended the credit so that
the people who do pay their bill won't have to bail them
out again

And why do you think that Fanny & Freddie were not included
in this, one simple term...REGULATION ! and that equals
accountability

Old 07-16-2010, 02:30 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,140,532 times
Quote:

No one is saying there is just one cause. But they did have a huge role in this. Yet tell me how many times the media covered Fannie/Freddie and the liberal art of lending to those who cant pay? Tell me how many things were passed by this Administration to take that issue on? Tell me what theyve done to prevent it from happening again. They've done NOTHING.

In fact, Fannie/Freddie continue to move on unscathed from all of this. Unbelievable. They had a huge role in this mess, yet they get away with out a scratch. And look at the history and record. Corruption. The DC folk like Frank and Pelosi and Waters protect Fannie/Freddie.

And recent news articles, and not by any liberal paper, are reporting that the dumb lending practices that helped get us here have already begun again.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
Quote:

Nope not a red herring....the REAL smelly kind

Old 07-16-2010, 03:22 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Oh... forgot to mention another important detail. Fannie and Freddie intentionally misrepresented the quality (risk level) of trillions of dollars worth of the mortgage-backed securities they were selling banks, investors, foreign governments, etc., classifying them as "prime" when they actually had the characteristics of sub-prime loans.
Origins of an American Kleptocracy | zero hedge

Of course, the fallout from this outright fraud has the potential to be so severe, that Obama gave Fannie and Freddie an I'm-going-to-do-it-now-while-everyone's-distracted holiday present (December 2009)... a blank check, unlimited bailout whenever they need. After all, as GSEs the worldwide expectation is that the U.S. Government (which ultimately means the taxpayers) guarantees those trillions of dollars worth of loans.
U.S. Move to Cover Fannie, Freddie Losses Stirs Controversy - WSJ.com

Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I think it's dishones and reductionistic to say any one cause is the cause. As you say Fannie and Freddie had a role, and I don't like that politics are keeping them out of the bill. It makes is pretty clear that politics are coming before addressing the problem completely.
They have to be kept out of the bill.
They have massive financial problems.
The Fed is practically the market maker there since no one wants that toxic debt as investments.

Fannie/Freddie have to stay where the government can inject money to keep them afloat without having to jump through the hoops of the financial reform. They are too far gone at this point to regulate back into health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies