Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM

45,295 posts, read 26,785,821 times

Advertisements

... but were defeated 59-39.

Estate Tax Vote: An Issue in Fall Vote?

The estate tax disappeared for 2010, in one of the final steps of President George W. Bush’s 10-year tax-cut measure. But next year, when the Bush tax cuts expire, the estate tax springs back to life — at its pre-2001 level of 55%.

Wednesday’s amendment to repeal the estate tax was offered by Sen. Jim DeMint (R., S.C.), in the midst of debate on a bill to extend jobless benefits. The amendment failed by a wide margin of 39-59. The vote was almost entirely on party lines, although two Democrats – Sens. Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas and Ben Nelson of Nebraska – joined Republicans in voting “yes.”

More info on death taxes here.

The Economic Case Against the Death Tax

Death taxes only contribute approximately 1% of U.S. taxes paid.

Death taxes benefit estate tax lawyers and planners, life insurance companies, and large businesses (with which family owned business may compete).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,910,828 times
First of all you can't permanently repeal anything.

Second, why are Republicans so insistent about not calling inheritance taxes, inheritance taxes?

Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,017,974 times
I am against the inheritence/death/estate tax. People should be able to leave whatever they have to whomever they want. There is no reason the government should have any right to the money. The dead person already paid tax on it when they earned it. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,422,386 times
The money that is being given was already taxed at some point and should NOT be taxed again.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:15 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,775,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
I am against the inheritence/death/estate tax. People should be able to leave whatever they have to whomever they want. There is no reason the government should have any right to the money. The dead person already paid tax on it when they earned it. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Its not right ,it is just another example of democrats taking money out of the economy and using it to buy votes.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:39 PM

4,478 posts, read 6,732,641 times
This is a total outrage. As mentioned above it has already been taxed at least once.

If my wife and I sacrifice and save all our lives to ensure having enough money to provide for an undetermined amount of time in retirement then why should the government get a greater share of the sacrifices my wife and I made than our own children?

This type of policy discourages one from saving for retirement and instead promotes spending your money and leaving the problems of retirement to the government.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,514,876 times
Take from the hard working and give to the lazy asses. Time tested and mother approved Marxist policies.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,152,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Take from the hard working and give to the lazy asses. Time tested and mother approved Marxist policies.
You nailed it. Surely some of those estates belong to Democrats. Wonder how they like it that half of their already-taxed estates is going to the feds, thanks to those they voted into power.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,812,135 times
I think we should be able to at least die without being taxed to death

Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM

29,944 posts, read 18,498,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
... but were defeated 59-39.

Estate Tax Vote: An Issue in Fall Vote?

The estate tax disappeared for 2010, in one of the final steps of President George W. Bush’s 10-year tax-cut measure. But next year, when the Bush tax cuts expire, the estate tax springs back to life — at its pre-2001 level of 55%.

Wednesday’s amendment to repeal the estate tax was offered by Sen. Jim DeMint (R., S.C.), in the midst of debate on a bill to extend jobless benefits. The amendment failed by a wide margin of 39-59. The vote was almost entirely on party lines, although two Democrats – Sens. Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas and Ben Nelson of Nebraska – joined Republicans in voting “yes.”

More info on death taxes here.

The Economic Case Against the Death Tax

Death taxes only contribute approximately 1% of U.S. taxes paid.

Death taxes benefit estate tax lawyers and planners, life insurance companies, and large businesses (with which family owned business may compete).

They are trying to protect family farms. As Obama probably supports collective farms, it is not suprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies