Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,799,066 times

Advertisements

On purpose!!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,280,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I personally think his concerts do more harm to the Rebuplican or Conservative cause...than it does good...why?

Lynard Skynard,
Charlie Danials (who's music I actually like)

And other Raunchy Country music acts and or Southern rock type performers are the headliners at his concerts...

Now either he's using them to appeal to a certain demographic, or their using Sean, as a way of maintaining musical relevance...

My point being...at all his freedom concerts...it's country music and nothing else...
Now that's fine if there was no political slant to it all...but by catoring only to one demographic of society, while ignoring the musical taste of everyone else...that just has 'shut door' written all over it...

It makes many feel that the only way they can be a Rep or Con is if they become Bo and Luke Duke...Or Daisy Duke...and many just simply cannot...

Not only that, but for many years, during Skynards hey day...they were famous for unraveling a gigantic Rebel flag at the start of every concert...again...that would only appeal to a certain demographic of society....

My point being...by Sean only having country music artist perform at his freedom concerts...and then associating his concerts with his self generated patrionizing hype...he's basically saying...

'If your not one of these people here at my concert, than your not a true American'

So that would exclude people who like opera, jazz, soul music, R&B, Hip-Hop...headbangers or Metal, classic Rock, funk, Punk, Disco, pop, Blues, grunge, poka, congo, cubana, folk, elevator music, waltz, show tunes and everything else....that makes everyone else feel culturally excluded from that party...and I think come election time...it will back fire...
For what riles up some, intimidates others...

People who might otherwise identify with Sean, might not feel comfortable with a 100 feet wide Rebel flag unraveling on stage while singing 'Sweet Home Alabama'...

Sorry...but what inspires some, might scare others...

All I'm saying is if Sean really want's to Broaden the Rep base...he needs to reflect that at his Freedom Concerts by offering a wider selection of Artist who perform...
first of all, you are showing a very narrow minded view; If you don't like country and western fine, but to think his concerts hurt the party, that is absurd..Besides, they are sell outs and do a lot of good. Would I go, probably not, but our daughter has been twice and my husband once. They attract a lot of young, country fans (which by the way is the in thing now days if you didn't know) and many are conservatives.

Nita

Old 07-23-2010, 03:31 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,280,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi1 View Post
Sean is just pandering to the "patriots"
so what?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:41 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,145,308 times
Hannity panders to the bible-thumping, gun-toting, anti-intellectual, paranoid, patriotic white guys who who slobber their Bud Lights with tears because their country has been taken away from them.
How come Ted Nugent and Anita Bryant aren't on the program?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,990,714 times
You mean these freedom concerts
"Freedom Alliance gives very little money to the children of slain troops to pay for college and even less to wounded troops. The stories of injuries to troops and how much Freedom Alliance gives them–$200 for a soldier from a poor neighborhood who lost three limbs–is heartbreaking. Soldiers with traumatic brain injuries, severe wounds to the face from disfiguring burns and explosions, and multiple amputations got $1,000 or less, with only a handful of exceptions.

The tax forms available to the public for the Freedom Alliance–for the years 2006-2008–paint a tragic story, a story of a charity that makes gazillions and spends very little for the purposes it claims, a charity that spends millions more on its small staff and crony consultants than it ever gives in scholarships to the children of the fallen or severely injured troops or in aid to the injured troops themselves. While Hannity’s Freedom Concerts take in millions, only a few hundred thousand go to the claimed intended recipients."

To be fair, I've heard other reports, that Hannity and friends only keep 35 percent of what they bring in. What a guy

I would never go to one of Hannity's concerts but I sure would like to play a duet with Charley Daniels some day

Old 07-23-2010, 04:09 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,505,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You mean these freedom concerts
"Freedom Alliance gives very little money to the children of slain troops to pay for college and even less to wounded troops. The stories of injuries to troops and how much Freedom Alliance gives them–$200 for a soldier from a poor neighborhood who lost three limbs–is heartbreaking. Soldiers with traumatic brain injuries, severe wounds to the face from disfiguring burns and explosions, and multiple amputations got $1,000 or less, with only a handful of exceptions.

The tax forms available to the public for the Freedom Alliance–for the years 2006-2008–paint a tragic story, a story of a charity that makes gazillions and spends very little for the purposes it claims, a charity that spends millions more on its small staff and crony consultants than it ever gives in scholarships to the children of the fallen or severely injured troops or in aid to the injured troops themselves. While Hannity’s Freedom Concerts take in millions, only a few hundred thousand go to the claimed intended recipients."

To be fair, I've heard other reports, that Hannity and friends only keep 35 percent of what they bring in. What a guy

I would never go to one of Hannity's concerts but I sure would like to play a duet with Charley Daniels some day

Surely you have news links to these accusations???

that is great fodder for MSNBC. And I've never seen it on there.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:05 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,440,667 times
An appreciation of business sense is indeed not a value that is opposed to anything liberal. Not at all. Liberals are not distinguished from everyone else by a dislike for business sense--only by the desire for everyone to partake in the commonwealth which we all agree is made possible by "business" (which includes both sides, management and labor).

Having said all that, I do not classify myself as a "liberal"--merely a fair-minded person.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,919,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I've been curious a long time, so I'll just throw the question up here:

Why don't black people like Country-Western music?

Is it because they don't have emotions?
A lot of white people don't like it either.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 PM

34 posts, read 84,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Surely you have news links to these accusations???

that is great fodder for MSNBC. And I've never seen it on there.
I don't know if the original poster was quoting something, but here are the IRS form 990s the filed by the Freedom Alliance. These are the most recent records available:

2008: 12% was spent on program services -- aka money for wounded soldiers and scholarships for the kids of deceased soldiers:

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/wp-co...008taxform.pdf

2007: 7% was spent on program services:

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/wp-co...etaxes2007.pdf

2006: Less than 4% was spent on program services:

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/wp-co...etaxes2006.pdf

Keep in mind the Better Business Bureau guidelines state a charity in good standing should spend at least 65% of revenue on program services.

There is some leeway there -- for instance, a charity that holds a big, expensive fund-raiser one year might be able to justify the cost because of the immediate revenue and the potential long-term revenue from an increased donor base.

But the best charities spend anywhere from 85 to 98 percent of their revenue on program services.

I looked at the 990s and Hannity's charity spends an eyebrow-raising amount of money on on postage and printed materials -- in some years, the Freedom Alliance spent three times as much money on postage and printed materials as it did on scholarships and financial aid to soldiers and families.

Although the line items in the 990s are not specific in some areas (probably by design), it's my gut feeling they're spending all that money on fliers to hand out at concerts, mass mailings and other stuff to promote Hannity, the Freedom Alliance, and more Hannity.

The rest -- more than 90% of revenue over the last three years -- has gone to investments, salaries, transportation costs, contractors, "education outreach" and other things that are either nebulous or clearly not part of program services spending.

It's pretty obvious from his TV and radio shows that Hannity is an intolerable prick who fancies himself some sort of cult leader of the less intellectual circles of the right.

If you're actually a conservative, and you actually care about the issues, the military families and the troops overseas, then please stop supporting this guy and concern yourself with something other than this egotistical clown.

Sadly, even though I linked to the IRS form 990s, I'm sure someone will find a way to accuse me of being a liberal out to smear Hannity.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:55 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
first of all, you are showing a very narrow minded view; If you don't like country and western fine, but to think his concerts hurt the party, that is absurd..Besides, they are sell outs and do a lot of good. Would I go, probably not, but our daughter has been twice and my husband once. They attract a lot of young, country fans (which by the way is the in thing now days if you didn't know) and many are conservatives.

Nita
that's exactly my point...by attracting a few...their turning off many...in a nation of 350 million...

And all that effects, how those who don't feel welcome there, how people vote or how they don't vote come election day...

It would be like attracting 5 people...but ignoring 1000....

And then come voting day wondering why you only got 5 votes...and the other guy got 1000 votes...

I'm just saying strategically...it's not a good political move...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies