Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
You are right about the take a number, that is exactly what it felt like, they call it triage, what a joke. I doubt the girl in triage had any idea what a stroke is, let alone the symptoms. The person in triage should at least have an RN degree.
Seems the "girl in triage" was on the ball. You didn't have a stroke. I'd be stunned to learn that "the girl in triage" wasn't an RN. That's standard procedure.

Your doctor thought you had a stroke but you and he didn't think it serious enough to call an ambulance? Ambulance cases always go to the front of the line at ER's. The ER doctor thought you were in the middle of a mild stroke but you didn't want to be admitted?

Did you have insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
I went to the emergency room about a week ago with numbness on the left side of my face because I was told by my doctor to go due to symptoms of a possible stroke. I sat there for 2 1/2 hrs and watched people with minor injuries get treated before me. After I finally got in and after all the testing, blood, urine and CT scan, all were negative. The doctor told me he thought I had a mini stroke or was in the middle of having one and wanted to keep me overnight. I said no, but agreed to follow up with my doctor and did. He diagnosed me as having a facial palsy, this makes sense since I hadn't felt well the week leading up to this and this can be caused by a virus. The point is, why did they make me wait so long with symptoms of a possible stroke?
"Numbness," or what I call "Numbnuts" is an extremely vague symptom that can be caused by nothing all the way to a stroke. 99.9% of the time, the 'numbness' will be nothing serious. If you had obvious weakness or a real functional deficit OR risk factors for a real stroke, you probably would have been triaged different.

The ED doc recommended staying in the hospital to rule out a stroke...something he/she probably wouldn't even have done if lawyers hadn't taken over the practice of medicine. Absent risk factors, this is something that can be worked up outpatient.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
This is silly, I think there needs to be more information. From what is said so far she met none of the criteria of toxic shock, which is troubling that she died from it. Making it political or about health systems is just pure partisan politicking, and incredibly silly. Triage is based on symptoms presented.

The emphasis again is it's a extremely rare thing, and this complication is an never before seen type of an extremely rare diagnosis.

People want some one to blame for their tragedy. It's horrible it happened, but we're all human and not omniscient.

There can be more doctors hired for the ER to do more things, but it all costs money (plus would not have saved this girl, I have little doubt). People who expect a Dr. House level of care for every patient who walks off the street at rock bottom prices of $25 copays needs to get out of fantasy land (even the actor admits it's fantasy). Even now it's $1k to be seen in the ER without insurance and people complain like mad.

Last edited by subsound; 07-23-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Maybe hospitals should hire a few doctors that work right where patients come in as well as in the waiting rooms, only assessing symptoms, watching over and talking to people in order to give the right priority to them.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe hospitals should hire a few doctors that work right where patients come in as well as in the waiting rooms, only assessing symptoms, watching over and talking to people in order to give the right priority to them.
Yeeeeaaahhh...right. How much more would that jack up health care costs?

It's inefficient and unnecessary.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeeeeaaahhh...right. How much more would that jack up health care costs?

It's inefficient and unnecessary.
Not necessarily. As I said, physicians, not nurses. They might filter out simple cases and thus leave more time for Dr. House & Co. to take care of severe cases

Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
I went to the emergency room about a week ago with numbness on the left side of my face because I was told by my doctor to go due to symptoms of a possible stroke. I sat there for 2 1/2 hrs and watched people with minor injuries get treated before me. After I finally got in and after all the testing, blood, urine and CT scan, all were negative. The doctor told me he thought I had a mini stroke or was in the middle of having one and wanted to keep me overnight. I said no, but agreed to follow up with my doctor and did. He diagnosed me as having a facial palsy, this makes sense since I hadn't felt well the week leading up to this and this can be caused by a virus. The point is, why did they make me wait so long with symptoms of a possible stroke?
That's horrible. Breakdown of communication/protocol What state are you in?
The hospital I work at we call strokes brain attacks and they are treated just as rapidly as if someone came in with symptoms of an MI.

If something liike that happens again then don't have someone drive you there but call 911. That should definitely expedite the process. Let them know of numbness/one-sided weakness etc.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:18 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. As I said, physicians, not nurses. They might filter out simple cases and thus leave more time for Dr. House & Co. to take care of severe cases
Dr House is hardly a poster-boy for US medicine. He'll half kill you 6 times with risky surgeries and the maximum allowable human dosage of unpronounceable drugs before stumbling on the answer while zoning out on Vicoden or laying a trap for Wilson.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Dr House is hardly a poster-boy for US medicine. He'll half kill you 6 times with risky surgeries and the maximum allowable human dosage of unpronounceable drugs before stumbling on the answer while zoning out on Vicoden or laying a trap for Wilson.
At least we would have ruled out Lupus

Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 AM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
At least we would have ruled out Lupus
It's never Lupus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies