Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, if we're throwing out anecdotal stories to prove our 'point', here goes...

Both my parents have more work than they could possibly get done in a 40 hour work week. My Father has been doing 50+ because he's in such high demand. My Mother barely has time to have lunch with me once a week because she's so busy at work. My Father also just took on a new apprentice and my Mom had to hire an assistant.

My company is expanding and more than quadrupling our current space. March showed record profits for us and we were able to hire 6 more people. My boyfriend's company just expanded, he got a promotion and they hired on a bunch of new college graduates. I only know one person who is unemployed, the rest of my friends and family are all gainfully employed.

They're building a Target in my town, the shops are full, downtown is bustling and everyone seems pretty content.

How's that for anecdotal?
What does your Father and Mother do for a living. I also know of People who have worked for 30 years in one filed, with all the experience you can imagine, this has not stopped their businesses, from taking a hit. What State do you live in, i have friends and family who live thruout this Country, and they each, are complaining about the economy and unemployment in their States. What sort of Company do you have, interested in knowing this. What City and what Satae do you live in, i would like to check out exactly what is going on in your booming State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:36 AM

561 posts, read 505,629 times
Default My 2 Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Like to hear from those who have actual good news of things turning around.
This isn't much, but here goes . . .

1 - US GDP turned positive in September of last year and has been positive ever since. (Technicall speaking, the recession ended at that time)

2 - The number of bank failures appears to have leveled off. In 2009 there were about 16 bank failures per month. So far in 2010 there are about 12 per month.

3 - Business productivity is rising. We're squeezing more out of the current work force. At some point we'll have to start hiring to meet demand.

Economically we're still in tough shape, but we're in better shape today than we were yesterday. It may take several more months before there are more obvious signs of improvement.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Housing is really picking up. Office space is leasing at roughly 60% of boom year pricing. Infrastructure projects are moving forward, and most are scheduled to be completed ahead of schedule. Unemployment on the whole has ticked up, but for June the State led the country in jobs added at 14,000.
My personal field has business booming, where we have added office space and hired 3 (9 total) people since 2008. Business is going so well...I don't have enough time to really be on here bantering about with the rest of the CD misfits as much as I would like or have been able to in the past 9 months.

I would like to know from the OP what those jobs/fields were that were closing up shop and where.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
What area of the country are you in and what field are your Father and Mother in, if you don't mind telling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think its fantastic that your father has a skill that no one on unemployment has, and no other company could possibly compete with..
I never said 'NO ONE' on unemployment could compete, just that there aren't many who could compete at his level. It's very difficult to find a trustworthy, intelligent, competent mechanic and when you find one, they charge top dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
What does your Father and Mother do for a living. I also know of People who have worked for 30 years in one filed, with all the experience you can imagine, this has not stopped their businesses, from taking a hit. What State do you live in, i have friends and family who live thruout this Country, and they each, are complaining about the economy and unemployment in their States. What sort of Company do you have, interested in knowing this. What City and what Satae do you live in, i would like to check out exactly what is going on in your booming State.
I live in California, Father is an auto mechanic (technically he also has his A&P and has been trained by both BMW and Volkswagen overseas) and my mother works in Medical records/HR and specializes in Insurance for older folks. I work in the aviation field.

I guess what I was getting at is that anecdotal stories don't mean much. My family is actually doing BETTER now than we were last year, and the year before. Part of it is luck, I'm sure. Right place at the right time stuff, ya know?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
This isn't much, but here goes . . .

1 - US GDP turned positive in September of last year and has been positive ever since. (Technicall speaking, the recession ended at that time)

2 - The number of bank failures appears to have leveled off. In 2009 there were about 16 bank failures per month. So far in 2010 there are about 12 per month.

3 - Business productivity is rising. We're squeezing more out of the current work force. At some point we'll have to start hiring to meet demand.

Economically we're still in tough shape, but we're in better shape today than we were yesterday. It may take several more months before there are more obvious signs of improvement.
Guess what happens in several more months......1 fall and winter typical slow times, 2 largest tax increase on every man woman child and business!

Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Housing is really picking up. Office space is leasing at roughly 60% of boom year pricing. Infrastructure projects are moving forward, and most are scheduled to be completed ahead of schedule. Unemployment on the whole has ticked up, but for June the State led the country in jobs added at 14,000.
My personal field has business booming, where we have added office space and hired 3 (9 total) people since 2008. Business is going so well...I don't have enough time to really be on here bantering about with the rest of the CD misfits as much as I would like or have been able to in the past 9 months.

I would like to know from the OP what those jobs/fields were that were closing up shop and where.
I assume you are in the Great State of Texas, we are looking at relocating, perhaps we can talk. The line of work we are in is Hydraulic and Equipment repair , so our customer base is very broad, welding shops, truss manufactures, scrap yards, drywall distributors, heavy equipment, rental yards, Crane companies, etc.........

Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I never said 'NO ONE' on unemployment could compete, just that there aren't many who could compete at his level. It's very difficult to find a trustworthy, intelligent, competent mechanic and when you find one, they charge top dollar.

I live in California, Father is an auto mechanic (technically he also has his A&P and has been trained by both BMW and Volkswagen overseas) and my mother works in Medical records/HR and specializes in Insurance for older folks. I work in the aviation field.

I guess what I was getting at is that anecdotal stories don't mean much. My family is actually doing BETTER now than we were last year, and the year before. Part of it is luck, I'm sure. Right place at the right time stuff, ya know?
So in other words you were exaggerating or just lying to make a point?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:42 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So there are still a few die hards on here that either just cant admit that they are wrong, and there great half black Hope turned into the disaster the rest of us warned he would, or they are just delusional and actually think he is doing well. What I would like to know is, give me real examples of how the economy is getting better, not talking points from the trans-genders on msnbc, but real life examples. Heres what I know in real life..................I know of one of my customers who closed 3 of its branches and hauled millions of dollars worth of equipment to auction. I know of another customer who has been in business for over 30 years who told me this is the worst he has ever seen it, another associate who closed up shop after 25 years and took a job. I know that most of the business's I deal with they are operating on a skeleton crew and have no plans of adding more people in the foreseeable future.I know of half a dozen moms who have had to go back out and try to find what ever work they can. I know that at the county here, there is know engineering permits being requested, which means in the oncoming months there is going to be no site work or development being done. I know that people are willing to work for much less than they used to just to put food on the table. I know that the private schools are losing kids left and right. In general, we are like a watering hole that now has no water left and the mud is starting to dry and the forecast is there is a drought coming.That is the Real State of the Economy right now, I wish I saw reason to be optimistic but I don't, even if Republicans are able to regain substantial seats in congress they don't come in until January, any thing that they might be able to do to reverse this insane course we are on wont happen for months after that, we might possibly get a boost from business's getting restored confidence but not likely. Like to hear from those who have actual good news of things turning around.
Anecdotal evidence kicked off with a racist remark always brings a tear to my eye. Keep up the good work.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,239 times
You must live near DC

Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,328 times
The economy is bad, worse than whats presented for public consumption and its going to get worse over time. In our current monetary system no amount of stimulus can fix it either. Basically this situation sucks except for people like Jamie Dimion of JP Morgan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies