Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Have you even read the comic books?

Captain America Comics Too Un-American

Yes I have...all my life! Even the more liberal comic book writers are trying to change him.

This is Cap at his best........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Yes I have...all my life! Even the more liberal comic book writers are trying to change him.

This is Cap at his best........
All of the comic book heroes went super patriot during WWII. However, that wasn't there original characters. I know a lot of people see Captain America as being that all American hero that people came to know during WWII, but that wasn't him originally, and the film is trying to get back to his roots.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times
Wow, you are upset by this?

Well the Marvel: Civil War arch must have made your head explode.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
I think Captain America should be a Southern hick, one who is always trying to prove his machoism, tells people about Jesus, hates commies, gays, atheists, muslims, the French. The patriotic captain should only have a high school diploma, was the football star on his rural high school team, hates people that read books, and is surrounded by air headed blond babes.
This way he could serve as the ideal for America's youth.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:03 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
The film is just trying to be a commercial success - and much of that now depends on overseas markets. I don't read much into Hollywood revisions. Russell Crowe's Robin Hood was nothing like the original and I hated Gibson's The Patriot depiction of Brits as baby killers. Screenplays have nothing to do with "being true to the original" or "true to history" unless the studio thinks they can make more money that way.
My prediction is that no matter what they do - Captain America will tank at the box office - just like the other recent lesser and obscure super hero movies. The only way to make a successful super-patriot super-hero movie is to make it a comedy.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
Welp; you have a few choices here...

1) Make your own Captain America movie
2) Go see the Captain America movie anyway
3) Don't go to see the Captain America movie.

I personally can't stand the new He-Man, the new Chipmunks, the new Voltron, or reality TV. So I don't waste my money (or time) on that stuff. Simple.

Change is constant. How you deal with it is the important thing.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:14 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
All of the comic book heroes went super patriot during WWII. However, that wasn't there original characters. I know a lot of people see Captain America as being that all American hero that people came to know during WWII, but that wasn't him originally, and the film is trying to get back to his roots.

Well if that's the case, don't de-patriotize him. His "roots" are firmly rooted in that.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
Im sick of all this PC insanity.
Lets just scrap Captain America altogether,he has AMERICA in his name for one!
Instead of fighting todays enemy Terrorism(thats not PC)maybe he could fight global warming.
Or even the evil Tea-Party folks.Maybe he could join forces with the U.N.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:31 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
This is a comic not a real person.
unless you can make the movie yourself and write the story and spend the money to make the movie your at the mercy of those who are making the movie.
If you dont think they will give you good entertainment and do C-America well dont pay to SEE it. They are going to tell a story liberal, conservative and or non of the above.
Read the comic and stay home.
People believe CAP stands for the American ideas of which if you look around people are holding on and hoping we find American roots. Those people look at CAP as a way to inspire them and others. He is a hero to them and the ideas of America.
I guess to them it stings to watch them create a character who might not be that hero anymore.
Its a sad day for those who wanted an American Icon and not a UN good guy.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Well if that's the case, don't de-patriotize him. His "roots" are firmly rooted in that.
The problem with Nolte's position is that it's ignorant of what the character is & isn't. Steve Rogers doesn't need to wave a flag. He IS the flag. In fact, he's much more than a flag. In Marvel 616 Canon, Rogers is the defender of America & its people, but he's also the embodiment & protector of the "American Dream". On multiple occasions Rogers has taken stands when he thought the government was acting in conflict with those values.

From Amazing Spider-Man #537:

From Captain America, Vol. 4, #7:

"Captain America is not here to lead the country. I'm here to serve it. If I'm a captain, then I'm a soldier. Not of any military branch, but of the American people. Years ago, in simpler times, this suit and this shield were created as a symbol to help make America the land it's supposed to be... to help it realize its destiny. Ricocheting from super-villain duel to super-villain duel doesn't always serve that purpose. There's a difference between fighting against evil and fighting for the common good. I'm not always able to choose my battles... but effective immediately, I'm going to make an effort to choose the battles that matter. Battles against injustice, against cynicism, against intolerance. I will still serve with the Avengers. I will continue to defend this nation from any and all threats it may face. But as of today, I am not a "super hero." Now and forevermore, I am a man of the people.

Together, you and I will identify and confront America's problems. Together, we will figure out what we are and what we can be. Together, we will define the American Dream and make it an American reality."

This is the real Captain. A man who not only loves his country, he questions its leaders, because, thats American.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/7...eing-Patriotic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies