Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
But until or unless that happens, your suggestion is moot.
Um, no, Christians have already highjacked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Um, no, Christians have already highjacked it.
Why only "Christians"? The term "God" is not a term utilized exclusively by "Christians"

Old 07-25-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
You might be surprised - there is a saying that there are no atheists or agnostics in a fox hole. In a fire fight - even the most fervent NON-believers find religion. Its amazing.

WRONG!

Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers

Outreach & Events

In Memory of Atheists in Foxholes

written by a chaplain

No Atheists in Foxholes? « Wonder

American Atheists | military

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
WRONG!
Ever been in a battle?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Just deal with people not saying it. Obviously they feel it doesn't represent them in some way and won't be forced into conformity.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Ever been in a battle?
Doesn't matter. Desperate people call out to anything they are familiar with, it doesn't mean they believe in it. Remember the scene in Talladega Nights when Ricky Bobby is on fire? I've quoted it several times before and it's spot on..."Help me, Jesus! Help me, Jewish God! Help me, Allah! Help me, Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft to get the fire off me! Help me, Oprah Winfrey!".

Old 07-25-2010, 01:21 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
Does your child's school have an American flag in their classroom? Do they say the "Pledge of Allegiance" in the beginning of the day?
If not, why?
All I know is that all of that needs to come back in full effect. I was born in '83 and we said the "Pledge of Allegiance" every, single morning. We had the flag in the room. There was no lack of reminder that I was being educated in the US and that that is possible for me in the US.

I don't know when it became OK not to show allegiance and support to the country.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Ever been in a battle?
Fortunately, no. But as I watch Tower 1 and 2 collapse, knowing that my friends were being crushed to death, (if they hadn't already burned to death or jumped), that there is no god. Those of us who experienced that have absolutely experienced a war.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:10 PM

65 posts, read 120,383 times
I graduated HS a few years ago and I never had to say the pledge in public school. The only time I remember having to recite the pledge was when I went to Catholic School grades K-3. I don't remember there being a flag in every room, there might have been one in some but it probably depended on the teacher. Never once recited the pledge in HS.

One thing I don't get is why people are so adamant on original intent for the constitution and stuff but not for the pledge...??

Old 07-25-2010, 02:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
They probably think that the sun rises and sets on Ronald Reagan's grave ...
The sun sure does do just that. I guess you didn't know that it shines on all of us all the time. Maybe you should stand outside sometime and see what is going on. Maybe you don't know that the sun shines on anybody who stands outside, except in some parts of the world and his burial site is in California, not one of those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies