Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:23 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
That's a boring strawman argument that appeals to certain types. It is elementary and should be ignored.

Again, what part of erecting a Mosque in that particular location is against the law or the COTUS?

Why not just open up a bbq joint next to it? That's also within the rights of whoever buys/leases the nearby property.

That's what makes America great, we have freedom.
Funny how we have all kinds of freedoms here, except the freedom to offend. Let someone claim they are offended by something you say or do, and see what happens.

It is offensive to have the Mosque on that site. Perhaps to more people than just a few. If Muslims claimed they were offended by something, the city fathers would sit up and listen, but if just plain American citizens say they are offended, then that has to be dismissed as insignificant -- or called racism, or just plain foolishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Stop and think.

"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah), never will it be accepted of him." -Koran 3:85

"Fight those who believe not in Allah...until they pay the jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued." -Koran 9:29

Allah wants them to die for him. Jesus wanted to die for us.

Stop and think.

Answer my question: What law is being broken? Does this violate our Constitution in anyway?

Yes or no, cut out the non non sequiturs.

4,814 posts, read 3,842,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Uh-huh. Did this TURKISH woman happen to explain what she meant when she was saying this? And could you explain what that has to do with a community center, that has a prayer room in it, being built in New York?
It's sad that went over your head.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:24 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
First of all, nobody's saying they shouldn't build the mosque.
Hmm. "There should be no mosque near Ground Zero in New York" seems pretty unequivocal to me.

Quote:
Some people don't like the idea of building a mosque in this particular place.
They're free not to like it. It's one of those tolerance things - sometimes people will do things you don't agree with.

Quote:
Do you know how hard it is to get a zoning clearance to build a grocery store because liberals like you think it is bad for the environment?
No clue. Then again, freedom of religion has a slightly more elevated status in the Constitution than freedom of grocery shopping.

Quote:
But when it comes to a controversial imam building a mosque near Ground Zero you have absolutely no problem with that.
Don't pretend this is some sort of zoning issue. Newt wouldn't have the slightest issue with a church or synagogue in that location, and you know it.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
First of all, nobody's saying they shouldn't build the mosque. Some people don't like the idea of building a mosque in this particular place.
I believe that I understand that, as ridiculous as it is seeing how most of the folks kicking up their heels about this were sitting safely thousand miles away from the attacks on New York, but I won't dwell on that fine point any further.

Quote:
Do you know how hard it is to get a zoning clearance to build a grocery store because liberals like you think it is bad for the environment?
As a property owner I have been to many a zone board hearing where I was usually joined by both my liberal and conservative neighbors about issues of concern to the community, but I don't recall arguing over a grocery store due to environmental issues, and I certainly don't recall any disputes with my neighbors due to our political affiliations.

Now that I've answered your strawman arguments can we get to the heart of the matter?

Quote:
But when it comes to a controversial imam building a mosque near Ground Zero you have absolutely no problem with that.

You are absolutely right, because the "controversy" is is ridiculous and, as you conservatives are always so quick to remind us, "it is inimical to the expressed principles that this country was founded upon."

And did I mention that Gingrich's argument is bat guano crazy?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:

...absolutely no problem with that.
I have a problem with those who think it is okay to restrict or deny other's First Amendment rights.

4,814 posts, read 3,842,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Answer my question: What law is being broken? Does this violate our Constitution in anyway?

Yes or no, cut out the non non sequiturs.
There are matters of judgment that we include in our decisions in the rule of law. The will of the people is one of them. If the majority vote to have it built, we must concede to it.

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times
Quote:
Stop and think.

"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah), never will it be accepted of him." -Koran 3:85

"Fight those who believe not in Allah...until they pay the jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued." -Koran 9:29

Allah wants them to die for him. Jesus wanted to die for us.

Stop and think.
Ok so back to my primary question. Where is Sharia law the law of the land in the U.S.? Or did you just bring that up for no reason? Also are you a Muslim Scholar, do you know what parts of the Koran are meant to be taken literally today and what parts just represent something that may have made more sense when it was written?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:29 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
If the majority vote to have it built, we must concede to it.
Constitutional rights are subject to vote now?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As a property owner I have been to many a zone board hearing where I was usually joined by both my liberal and conservative neighbors about issues of concern to the community, but I don't recall arguing over a grocery store due to environmental issues, and I certainly don't recall any disputes with my neighbors due to our political affiliations.
Try to get a building permit for a grocery store on the same exact spot in Manhattan and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies