Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 02:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
I've pulled a lot of hair out over this sh**. Literally.

Fact: There is nothing illegal about the mosque
Fact: Protesting the mosque is not illegal
Fact: Those protesting the mosque know "freedom of religion"
Yes.
Yes.
No. They might "know" but they don't agree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 02:35 PM

97 posts, read 398,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Have we followed the same thread?
Yep. I stopped about 20 pages into this abortion of a thread and added my comments because it was clear to me that people harassing those who disagree with the location of the mosque seemed to be ignoring the fact that...people are disagreeing with the location.

If there are any folks saying it's against the law, they are just ignorant. But for the educated folks, it's a matter of sensitivity and decency.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
it's a matter of sensitivity and decency.
It's a matter of demagoguery since the issue wasn't a big deal in New York until the GOP decided to make it one.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yes.
Yes.
No. They might "know" but they don't agree with it.
They might not agree with it because of their emotions in this case but let's be honest, this is 100% a controversial location and most people would shut the f*** up if they just built it somewhere else.

There were 140 mosques in NY in 2001. (Source: AMERICAN MUSLIM DEMOGRAPHICS - MUSLIM AMERICAN POPULATIONS OUTREACH PROGRAMS). Imagine how many there are now. This can't be A) a critical location and B) direly needed to serve muslims in the area. Seems like a little respect for the situation would go a long way for Muslim-West relations. In fact it seems almost counterproductive to offend 52% of the NYC population 9 million to "improve Muslim-West relations" which is the goal of the Cordoba Initiative. (Source: Most New Yorkers Oppose Ground Zero Mosque: Poll | NBC New York)

Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Most New Yorkers Oppose Ground Zero Mosque: Poll | NBC New York[/url])
This is one of my favorite "proofs" of course no one ever mentions that fact that those who actually live in Manhattan favor the construction, those in Staten Island oppose.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This is one of my favorite "proofs" of course no one ever mentions that fact that those who actually live in Manhattan favor the construction, those in Staten Island oppose.
Touche, but you are missing the point. The purpose of the Cordoba Initiative is to improve relations between Muslims and the West. It is blatantly counter productive to go and offend a Moderator cut: language of Western people in order to...improve relations with them.

I'm willing to bet that a survey among the remainder of the U.S. would show at the least a split down party lines. That's millions more Westerners that will have worse feelings about Muslims as a result of this.

Let's not forget that 9/11 wasn't just a "local matter" as the White House has recently implied by stating the mosque protest was a "local matter". 9/11 hit every citizen in this country in some way. I remember crying in public that day.

It's a matter of sensitivity, like I said before. If I can't depict Mohammad because it will offend Muslims (most of which don't even live in the US) but free speech allows me to, it's no different than this situation. I'm not going to depict Mohammad though, even though the constitution says I can. Because I'm not a prick.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-05-2010 at 11:35 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Talking Gingrich Denounces Ground Zero Mosque

Wow!

That ranks right up there with "I support family values" on the scale of gutsy political statements.

Of course, Gingrich doesn't support family values at all. Not if you're one who says that actions speak louder than words. I'm one of those guys.

Gingrich Admits to Affair During Clinton Impeachment - ABC News

Possible Presidential Candidate Newt Gingrich - The Dark Side

the former House speaker admitted to cheating on his first two wives (he had an affair with his third wife, a staffer, while married to his second wife, and also leading the charge for President Clinton's impeachment.)

David Vitter, Newt Gingrich and GOP disgrace - Joan Walsh - Salon.com

Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So do I. And none of that chemical-only stuff. I want bacon that contains chemicals AND is actually smoked.
I've often wondered about "smoking bacon". I've tried a few times but I can't seem to get it lit.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 PM

31 posts, read 15,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is a fine example of the "States Rights" you right wing idolaters are always so fond of supporting. The Federal government has no jurisdiction in NYC building and zoning. You guys are also very fond of religious freedom or do you only limit it to radical Kristians?

What do you guys want? Would turning Mecca into a radioactive waste land be enough vengeance for you? Or maybe the complete extermination or conversion to Kristianianity of all of Islam would be enough. What will satisfy you?
I'm not sure who you think your talking too young man but that works for me. You betcha!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:59 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is a fine example of the "States Rights" you right wing idolaters are always so fond of supporting. The Federal government has no jurisdiction in NYC building and zoning. You guys are also very fond of religious freedom or do you only limit it to radical Kristians?

What do you guys want? Would turning Mecca into a radioactive waste land be enough vengeance for you? Or maybe the complete extermination or conversion to Kristianianity of all of Islam would be enough. What will satisfy you?
Tell me, please, why are you so against Christianity and so pro Islam?
I just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies