Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 AM

276 posts, read 745,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
OK, I like everyone, until they give me a reason not to like them and I am talking individually here. However, in my own experience, this is very true.

I am in college(better late than never I guess), at my college I would have to guessimate that it is probably 60 percent muslim..How do I know, because over half of that guesstimate still where the clothing of their home country. I have no issue with that, just using it because I know many people here always say "wheres your proof"..

Now, my point is, not very many of that percentage are kind people. They are rude, indignant , and they can't speak English, yet are receiving all kinds of grants monies etc etc(I worked in the Fin Aid office).

If the muslims really wanted to do something profound to promote unity, they would step off ground zero. Rubbing salt into anyone's wound is bound to have repercussions..

What is it that Americans do not get about muslims? Did you see how fast the press disolved the Dr. in the army who shot how many people. He was born and raised American...but before anything else, HE WAS MUSLIM! And he was a nice guy!!!! right? When will people learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,829,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, and now we move on to the urban legends department. God help us, there's a POSTAGE STAMP for Muslim-American holidays. Of course, it was originally issued before 9/11, but don't let that keep you from believing it's all part of the plot to take over America.

snopes.com: Muslim EID Stamp
That isn't the postage stamp I am talking about. The Postmaster showed the stamp to me and commented that no one was buying them and she would have to send them back. It was over a year ago and, therefore, I can't remember what the stamp looked like. I am looking at the USPS website under collecting to see if I can locate it.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The ADL (Anti-Defamation League) is against the project for the same reasons. It's a sensitivity issue, a matter of respect. Moving the location would generate good will, which is what they claim they want to do.
Thank you, southward bound. I knew that others were viewing the mosque in the same way, i.e., looking down on Ground Zero.

Quote:
There will always be somebody who will do it because money rules. Or, maybe a Muslim construction company! They know minarets.
Right and I am wondering if O'Reilly made the comment, emphatically as he did, to bring attention to the company/companies that would, possibly in the future, become involved in the construction.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
This is the kind of drama-seeking that annoys me more than anything about those who oppose the mosque. Can you just not make your point without throwing in ridiculous false statements?

How is 13 stories "looking down" on Ground Zero, when, as you surely are aware since you are so concerned and in tune with Ground Zero, the steel for One WTC is already 30 stories high and is on the northernmost end of the site, closest to the mosque?

How is this mosque "looking down" on ANYTHING at the site when you can't even SEE the WTC site from where it is located? You do realize that 13 stories is hardly a large building in Manhattan, right? As a matter of fact, eventually they will be looking UP at the 1776-foot-tall structure that was rebuilt in the place where terrorists supposedly "conquered".

To hear some people talk, you'd think they're planning to build a old-fashioned-style mosque complete with minnarets and a little guy standing in a tower doing the call to prayer.
I'm not as concerned with them building mosques around the city. I am just taking the view as many others have voiced it - it is too close to the tragedy, therefore, making it a sensitive issue. If you are claiming to want to repair relations and the image, that is a very strange way to go about it.

I'm with Newt Gingrich on this one. You won't let us build a Christian church in your country, but you demand the choice be yours where you set yours up here. I don't care if we have freedom of religion in America and they don't, it's the principle of the thing.

And I am with Newt Gingrich when he says that we should build the Twin Towers exactly how they looked one minute before the planes hit.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
What is it that Americans do not get about muslims? Did you see how fast the press disolved the Dr. in the army who shot how many people. He was born and raised American...but before anything else, HE WAS MUSLIM! And he was a nice guy!!!! right? When will people learn?
Wasn't that something?! All the evidence and his calling card and they still scratch their head and say, "Now, I wonder what would cause him to react in that way?"

Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,609,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I see your point, and I have problems with some of the same considerations.

However, it appears the Constitution doesn't specify which religion can be practiced, nor does it set forth a way to evaluate what part of it is "good" and which parts of it are not. There is no provision for prohibiting a religion simply because we don't like some parts of it. The legal system runs into this every time they have to deal with satanists. Would you all be pleased to have a satanic church there instead?

Let's remember that we see this whole thing from OUR perspective, and the Muslims will see it from theirs. Two very different viewpoints, I'm sure.

Let's face the fact that Muslims have historically built their mosques on ground that they have conquered. The Mosque on the Temple mount is one example. That is their tradition, interwoven in their culture and their way of thought. How will they view this "victory"? Non-muslims may never really know because they're not part of that culture. I doubt that Muslims will as a group be able to view it as we do - as a show of tolerance - because tolerance as we understand its not something their religion teaches.

Yet, it seems that in order to protect the rights of all religions, we have to protect theirs.

I said I have a problem with it not that I wouldn't uphold the constitution.
That said I can only hope that Planned Parenthood/Victorias Secret/NOW/the Anti-Defamation League/PFLAG/and the best damn bbq joint in NYC all move in up and around the mosque. Why? Because it is there constitutionally given right to do so, of course

Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,609,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I'm not as concerned with them building mosques around the city. I am just taking the view as many others have voiced it - it is too close to the tragedy, therefore, making it a sensitive issue. If you are claiming to want to repair relations and the image, that is a very strange way to go about it.

I'm with Newt Gingrich on this one. You won't let us build a Christian church in your country, but you demand the choice be yours where you set yours up here. I don't care if we have freedom of religion in America and they don't, it's the principle of the thing.

And I am with Newt Gingrich when he says that we should build the Twin Towers exactly how they looked one minute before the planes hit.
Wait a minute -- our country? Their country?
In this case, they are Americans and this is their country.
There are American muslims. I do wish that American Muslims would be more vocal about denouncing Islamic terrorism and the cultural norms surrounding many islamic countries/ethnicities. They and they alone need to reconcile the modern age with islam -- non muslims cannot do it. But American muslims can.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,225,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I said I have a problem with it not that I wouldn't uphold the constitution.
That said I can only hope that Planned Parenthood/Victorias Secret/NOW/the Anti-Defamation League/PFLAG/and the best damn bbq joint in NYC all move in up and around the mosque. Why? Because it is there constitutionally given right to do so, of course
But then the libs will then give special protected status to it, and not allow "offensive" things near it... Whereas they wouldn't extend such privileges to other religions.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,225,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Wait a minute -- our country? Their country?
In this case, they are Americans and this is their country.
There are American muslims. I do wish that American Muslims would be more vocal about denouncing Islamic terrorism and the cultural norms surrounding many islamic countries/ethnicities. They and they alone need to reconcile the modern age with islam -- non muslims cannot do it. But American muslims can.
We have local rules in many places, where the locality requires all employers to give same sex couple benefits. Do you think that would actually be enforced on mosques like it is on catholic churches?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Ah, and now we move on to the urban legends department. God help us, there's a POSTAGE STAMP for Muslim-American holidays. Of course, it was originally issued before 9/11, but don't let that keep you from believing it's all part of the plot to take over America.

snopes.com: Muslim EID Stamp
The Snopes article appears to be correcting the myth that Obama orchestrated the issuance. That was not my point.

My point was to the fact that many people do not know or fully trust that there is a radical and moderate Muslim community. They are not sure and do not fully trust them.

I backed that up by saying that this stamp came out and I know in our area that no one would buy it. I made an inquiry and this stamp along with a Jewish and Christian religious stamp are offered in the fall every year. And, yes, it was out before 9-11, which wasn't my point either.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies