Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that the ADF is a pro-fundamentalist Christian advocacy group. They are not objective and their stance on the Establishment clause is questionable at best.

They are NOT a civil rights group in any legitimate sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:37 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Not necessarily religious, but everyone has something that they don't agree with. Thats the difference, I accept it and deal with it. You close your eyes.

Also, she is going to be a therapist, not a psychologist. She isn't going to be in a position that would require emergency care, therefore the patient can look for another therapist. You would prosecute someone who deals strictly with inter-marital relationships, rape victims, or teenagers too?
Counsellors often see clients who are in crisis.

This particular girl wants to be a school counsellor and often there is only ONE counsellor is a school- which means they need to be able to effectively counsel a broad range of clients.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
She now has the skills to invadedly evangelisize her religion into the secular "order".

Without the credential, however, she will be limited to singing to her own choir, but not as well as a full blown devotee, unhindered by secular dogmatics.

Dogma, switched around anagrammatically backwards, is, Am God.

I just KNOW I'm going to get called into the principal's office over this.

Last edited by ergohead; 07-27-2010 at 09:34 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
I will ask this question until you answer, would a homosexual make a good therapist? What about an atheist with someone struggling with their faith?
It would totally depend on the individual and their capabilities. Surely you are not suggesting that all atheists are the same or all homosexuals are the same? Or all Christians are the same?

It shouldn't matter if a counsellor is an Atheist, a Christian, Hindu, gay or straight or whatever. As long as they know how to keep the focus on the client's needs and not their own, and can show unconditional positive regard and acceptance to their clients no matter how the clients beliefs and values differ from their own.

Doesn't someone saying they know the "absolute truth" and that they know how "everyone should live" ring big loud warning bells and flashing red bigot lights for for you .

It certainly does for me.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
I am not sure you can state as fact what may be only likely.
The legal document clearly states that the faculty has the right to recommned remedial counciling when they have concerns of this nature. . . .this should be a "condition" that the student was aware of and agreed with before pursuing her education at that institution. I don't see much "wiggle room" in this particular case.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Rather than reading a biased report, read the actual court document.

http://www.telladf.org/userdocs/KeetonComplaint.pdf

On page 23:
I know there is often a difference between personal beliefs and how a counseling situation should be handled. But in order to finish the counseling program you are requiring me to alter my objective beliefs and also to commit now that if I ever may have a client who wants me to affirm their decision to have an abortion or engage in gay, lesbian, or transgender behavior, I will do that. I can’t alter my biblical beliefs, and I will not affirm the morality of those behaviors in a counseling situation.

I would ask: Why does the university want a pledge from her that she will affirm a decision -- any decision -- that a client makes? It is not a counselor's place to affirm. The individuals must be free to make their own decisions on what they believe is the right course for them (as long as it is legal) and not look to the counselor for affirmation. They make the decision and they bear the consequences.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:30 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times
We just had a strikingly similar case here in Michigan;
EMU student's lawsuit dismissed | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100726/METRO/7260406/1361/EMU-student-s-lawsuit-dismissed - broken link)

I agree with the judge and the universities in both these cases. Discrimination in any profession is never acceptable.
The American Counseling Association's own code of ethics sets standards for the profession and consequently programs in the public university naturally adopt these ethical standards.
It is further inexcusable to expect taxpayers to support discrimination. These students could have chosen to attend a Christian university or college.
Better yet, they probably should consider another career choice.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I know there is often a difference between personal beliefs and how a counseling situation should be handled. But in order to finish the counseling program you are requiring me to alter my objective beliefs and also to commit now that if I ever may have a client who wants me to affirm their decision to have an abortion or engage in gay, lesbian, or transgender behavior, I will do that. I can’t alter my biblical beliefs, and I will not affirm the morality of those behaviors in a counseling situation.

I would ask: Why does the university want a pledge from her that she will affirm a decision -- any decision -- that a client makes? It is not a counselor's place to affirm. The individuals must be free to make their own decisions on what they believe is the right course for them (as long as it is legal) and not look to the counselor for affirmation. They make the decision and they bear the consequences.
I don't think that's what the faculty asked her to do. Thats her own interpretion (misunderstanding) of what she thinks they want.

I think they stated something like -that she must be able to affirm a client's right to make their own decisions and lead their own lives. Quite a different thing altogether.

It appears that she misunderstands a few things- mainly what ethical counselling is all about.

In an email to the student from one of the faculty:

Quote:
Jennifer, you misinterpreted what I was saying. I do not expect you to change your personal beliefs and values. What is the issue is if you believe your personal beliefs and values should be the same beliefs and values for all people. This is the unethical part—applying your own personal beliefs and values on other people and not truly accepting that others can have different beliefs and values that are equally valid as your own.

Last edited by Ceist; 07-27-2010 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
EMU student's lawsuit dismissed | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100726/METRO/7260406/1361/EMU-student-s-lawsuit-dismissed - broken link)

I agree with the judge and the universities in both these cases. Discrimination in any profession is never acceptable.
The American Counseling Association's own code of ethics sets standards for the profession and consequently programs in the public university naturally adopt these ethical standards.
It is further inexcusable to expect taxpayers to support discrimination. These students could have chosen to attend a Christian university or college.
Accounting perhaps?

But then again - maybe she would tell her clients that according to her "absolute Biblical truth", they should give away all their possessions and money to the poor or Tithe to the church?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post

You're right, they are very similar stories. Hopefully this case will have a similar outcome.

From your link:

Quote:
The judge said Ward's "refusal to attempt learning to counsel all clients within their own value systems is a failure to complete an academic requirement of the program."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies