Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 11:14 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Completely scary but not surprising in todays PC climate.

And if we don't stand up for our rights and beliefs now it is only going to get worse. Much worse.

So now a University is "teaching" people what to believe. And their way is right and if you don't agree you don't get your degree. Shame on this university.
Any university which accepts FEDERAL funding can get forced into following every little PC rule the Feds like. The answer is to either find one that accepts no federal funding ( getting very hard as the feds took over all student loans) or do as this girl is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Wow, having a school counselor disagree with you is now a life-threatening situation. Man, this thread gets better and better every time I look at it.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 PM

15,864 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
She will answer to GOD for her life and her choices.

Just because someone is a Christian doesnt mean they are perfect.
But it does mean they can cherry pick what Biblical views they hold dear, correct?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
I have to question the competency of the school anyway. Telling her to go to a gay pride parade for sensitivity training is nuts. She would just come away re-enforced in her belief that it is wrong.

I don't call them gay pride parades---I call them exhibitionists pride parades.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:51 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
The bottom line is she wants to be a counselor so either she does the job as it is supposed to be done for all groups including gays or she decides her religion makes it impossible for her to do the job in which case she finds another line of work. I'm ok with that.

All of us can decide if we want to do a job or not but we can't say I'm not going to do the job when ever I feel it conflicts with my personal bigotry. If she hates gays that much then she can't do her job of counseling people who are gay so she needs to find another line of work. It's that simple.

Last edited by Oerdin; 07-29-2010 at 01:04 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 AM

There are many openings at religious schools. They won't want a counselor who pushes homosexuality or agrees with it.

People are not dumb, they will go to counselors who are open to their problems.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
While I agree that people are not dumb and will go to counselors who are open to their problems there is still the issue of her violating one of the protected classes under title VII. The school is absolutely correct to tell her she can't knowingly and willingly break the law and I completely understand why they wouldn't want to issue a degree to someone who says they'll use their religious beliefs as an excuse to break the law.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:20 AM

What law is she breaking? She just wants to graduate after completing her work. She hasn't even worked anywhere yet.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I have to question the competency of the school anyway. Telling her to go to a gay pride parade for sensitivity training is nuts. She would just come away re-enforced in her belief that it is wrong.

I don't call them gay pride parades---I call them exhibitionists pride parades.
You can make that comment without ever attending one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
There are many openings at religious schools. They won't want a counselor who pushes homosexuality or agrees with it.

People are not dumb, they will go to counselors who are open to their problems.
"Pushing" homosexuality.
You haven't read much of this thread, have you?
NEUTRALITY is not pushing, nor is it agreeing. It is certainly not expressing "sinfulness" or negativity.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
To be an effective counsellor you have to have as a BASIC stance, an UNCONDITIONAL regard for the well being of the client, show empathy, & genuiness, to enable the client to relax.

And to maintain a warmth and understanding without being JUDGMENTAL is of paramount importance.

This young lady should put her beliefs aside when dealing with vulnerable people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies