Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 09:25 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It's a public school where they aren't supposed to push particular beliefs. If it were private, I would agree with you.

They aren't attempting to get her to change a professional behavior. Unless I missed something, they are attempting to challenge her beliefs. If she had been placed in an internship program, and they could demonstrate that she did not draw a boundary, then I would agree. What I read states that they are simply targeting her beliefs because they find them objectionable. I didn't see anything suggesting that the beliefs had interfered in her work. As I said, if they demonstrate that, then I agree with them based on her behavior, not her belief.
I read the complaint. The school is telling her that in a counseling setting she has to uphold and affirm the client's values. That is fundamental to non-secular counseling. It was something I was taught in undergraduate school, it was something that was brought up repeatedly when I interned in counseling sessions. She has to uphold and affirm the client's values. Counseling is about the client, NOT about her. Her values, her feelings, her views, stay outside the counseling room. The school explicitly has stated that their goal is NOT to change her values, her beliefs, but to ensure that she ethically separates her values from her professional conduct. She has explicitly stated that her views are reflections of the Bible, are an absolute standard, that she thinks homosexuality is a choice, a sinful choice, and that while she thinks she can respectfully counsel a homosexual, she cannot condone a homosexual's lifestyle. In that context, doesn't "respect" and "condone" go hand in hand? If she cannot bring herself to attend a gay pride parade, how exactly is she going to help a student deal with his or her sexuality? By telling that student to deny it? She wants to deal with students who are extremely vulnerable. She will be an important authority figure in their lives. She's got to be able to separate her self from her professional behavior. In Freudian terms, her superego is not the appropriate aspect to be counselor. Counseling has to be separate from judging. And in the complaint filed, she says she cannot do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Funny indeed. Ignorance abounds. Posts like these would have more credibility if the posters actually had a grasp of what Christianity is all about.
All the Christian bashing and misuse of the Bible is truly tiresome (and so transparent).
I have no issue with Christians. Only with those who call themselves Christian but transparently misuse the Bible to "bash" others or hold everyone else to a higher standard than they do themselves. Oh....And those who think only they know the "absolute truth". Now THAT is more than "tiresome", it's often dangerous.

How about you tell us what Christianity is all about then? Or at least what it is all about for you personally.

Or do you think you know the "absolute truth" of Christianity for ALL Christians or ALL people? Like this student apparently does.

(PS: You have no idea what I know about Christianity and the Bible.)

Last edited by Ceist; 07-29-2010 at 09:48 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,579,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Hadn't she already "stipulated" that her behavior would follow her beliefs, in contradiction to the ethical requirements for a diploma?

Hey, a confession is as good as a smoking gun, no?
I didn't see that in the article in the OP. I didn't research any further.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I read the complaint. The school is telling her that in a counseling setting she has to uphold and affirm the client's values. That is fundamental to non-secular counseling. It was something I was taught in undergraduate school, it was something that was brought up repeatedly when I interned in counseling sessions. She has to uphold and affirm the client's values. Counseling is about the client, NOT about her. Her values, her feelings, her views, stay outside the counseling room. The school explicitly has stated that their goal is NOT to change her values, her beliefs, but to ensure that she ethically separates her values from her professional conduct. She has explicitly stated that her views are reflections of the Bible, are an absolute standard, that she thinks homosexuality is a choice, a sinful choice, and that while she thinks she can respectfully counsel a homosexual, she cannot condone a homosexual's lifestyle. In that context, doesn't "respect" and "condone" go hand in hand? If she cannot bring herself to attend a gay pride parade, how exactly is she going to help a student deal with his or her sexuality? By telling that student to deny it? She wants to deal with students who are extremely vulnerable. She will be an important authority figure in their lives. She's got to be able to separate her self from her professional behavior. In Freudian terms, her superego is not the appropriate aspect to be counselor. Counseling has to be separate from judging. And in the complaint filed, she says she cannot do that.
I haven't read the complaint so you have more information than me. I agree she should not judge. She is also able to have her views. The question comes into play as to how her views and her profession interact. Some people with particularly strong views on particular behavior refer certain clients to another professional, which is perfectly ethical. If she were to say that she plans to take particular clients with whom she has such strong objections and to counsel them, I would have a real problem with that (so would the ethic code), and she should not be allowed to do so.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
I haven't read the complaint so you have more information than me. I agree she should not judge. She is also able to have her views. The question comes into play as to how her views and her profession interact. Some people with particularly strong views on particular behavior refer certain clients to another professional, which is perfectly ethical. If she were to say that she plans to take particular clients with whom she has such strong objections and to counsel them, I would have a real problem with that (so would the ethic code), and she should not be allowed to do so.
She's going to be a school counselor. Referring students is a bit more delicate, I think.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
not true, I have a friend who was gay and now is not. he changed and as he said if he change anybody can.
Your friend is still gay, whether he/she admits it or not. Sorry. This won't end well. We live, what, 70, 80 years? I'll never understand why some people go through life denying themselves when we have so little time here to begin with. Come out, get on with life.

The girl is stupid. Every association has standards for a reason, and if she can't meet them, she can't become a part of the association. Hope she loses, and loses big. Make her an example for the rest of the religious idiots out there who try to shove their antiquated views down our throats.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
She's going to be a school counselor. Referring students is a bit more delicate, I think.
Yes, that could be problematic.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Does she follow the other rules of Leviticus?

19 “Whenever a woman has her menstrual period, she will be ceremonially unclean for seven days. Anyone who touches her during that time will be unclean until evening. 20 Anything on which the woman lies or sits during the time of her period will be unclean. 21 If any of you touch her bed, you must wash your clothes and bathe yourself in water, and you will remain unclean until evening. 22 If you touch any object she has sat on, you must wash your clothes and bathe yourself in water, and you will remain unclean until evening. 23 This includes her bed or any other object she has sat on; you will be unclean until evening if you touch it. 24 If a man has sexual intercourse with her and her blood touches him, her menstrual impurity will be transmitted to him. He will remain unclean for seven days, and any bed on which he lies will be unclean.

25 “If a woman has a flow of blood for many days that is unrelated to her menstrual period, or if the blood continues beyond the normal period, she is ceremonially unclean. As during her menstrual period, the woman will be unclean as long as the discharge continues. 26 Any bed she lies on and any object she sits on during that time will be unclean, just as during her normal menstrual period. 27 If any of you touch these things, you will be ceremonially unclean. You must wash your clothes and bathe yourself in water, and you will remain unclean until evening.

28 “When the woman’s bleeding stops, she must count off seven days. Then she will be ceremonially clean. 29 On the eighth day she must bring two turtledoves or two young pigeons and present them to the priest at the entrance of the Tabernacle. 30 The priest will offer one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. Through this process, the priest will purify her before the Lord for the ceremonial impurity caused by her bleeding.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Might I suggest then that you read the complaint before commenting on it further?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:26 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Does she follow the other rules of Leviticus?

19 “Whenever a woman has her menstrual period, she will be ceremonially unclean for seven days. Anyone who touches her during that time will be unclean until evening. 20 Anything on which the woman lies or sits during the time of her period will be unclean. 21 If any of you touch her bed, you must wash your clothes and bathe yourself in water, and you will remain unclean until evening. 22 If you touch any object she has sat on, you must wash your clothes and bathe yourself in water, and you will remain unclean until evening. 23 This includes her bed or any other object she has sat on; you will be unclean until evening if you touch it. 24 If a man has sexual intercourse with her and her blood touches him, her menstrual impurity will be transmitted to him. He will remain unclean for seven days, and any bed on which he lies will be unclean.

25 “If a woman has a flow of blood for many days that is unrelated to her menstrual period, or if the blood continues beyond the normal period, she is ceremonially unclean. As during her menstrual period, the woman will be unclean as long as the discharge continues. 26 Any bed she lies on and any object she sits on during that time will be unclean, just as during her normal menstrual period. 27 If any of you touch these things, you will be ceremonially unclean. You must wash your clothes and bathe yourself in water, and you will remain unclean until evening.

28 “When the woman’s bleeding stops, she must count off seven days. Then she will be ceremonially clean. 29 On the eighth day she must bring two turtledoves or two young pigeons and present them to the priest at the entrance of the Tabernacle. 30 The priest will offer one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. Through this process, the priest will purify her before the Lord for the ceremonial impurity caused by her bleeding.
Well - There goes my Campbell's Tomato Soup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies