Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
I'm sure that when our service men and women risk their lives for us to have that protection and freedom they weren't thinking "Gee I'm willing to get killed for that guy to fly his Greek flag", they more than likely are doing it for American interests, and to all of the ones who want to remember home, why not just move back, I'm of African descent, but I don't fly a flag and have no desire to, I'm American, everything else takes a back seat.
What our American solidiers are fighting and dying for in Iraq and Afghanistan has absolutely nothing to do with protecting our freedom of speech back in the United States. American interests in our current foreign wars are based on economic and geo-political implications, but let's not pretend that the Taliban has any impact on the Bill of Rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
You can still remember your roots without waving your flag in everyones face. I live in Orlando, home of the largest Puerto Rican community outside of NYC. And I sometimes go to this heavily Puerto Rican neighborhood that my friend lives in and for years there's been this house with the Puerto Rican flag flying underneath a larger American flag, I don't mind that because it's showing respect for America first. But recently I saw a home with just a PR flag flying. It really pisses me off when I see it, I feel like going there in the middle of the night and stealing it lol. Or maybe leave them a note telling them to fix it.
1. I suggest you do some research about Puerto Rico because it appears you do not know anything about it. Google is your friend.

2. You will not be laughing if you trespass private property and steal other people's property.

3. Since you do not live in the neighborhood, why don't you mind your own business?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
Quote:
Am I the only one who gets sick of people moving here from other countrys and waving their home flags in our face and we aren't susposed to say anything about it, I can say that if the hispanic population would stop acting like they are still in Mexico and start taking pride in where they are at and wave an American flag or two more people would think that they actually wanted to be a citizen of this country and maybe try and help them become one, The same goes for Puerto Ricans waving their flags from Puerto Rico, which is a U.S. territory, not a country, if you've ever been to Miami then you'll know what i'm talking about, I'm not prejudice or anything and have no problem with any race, but when you come to America you show her some respect, it seems like talking about your old girlfriend to your new girlfriend all the time and after a while she gets tried of it, When in America act like you're in America, we don't care what country you came from as long as you are productive and helpful in this country and not a criminal.
So then I guess no one in a foreign country is allowed to wave an American flag then?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:46 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
I don't "wave" it, but I do fly it - like on Australia Day (jan 26th). I also fly the American flag the rest of the time. If I lived somewhere I liked the state flag (like Texas) I'd probably fly that one as well LOL

Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
so if its not foreigners (like in the case of many jersey italians) is it ok? or do you just hate it when foreigners do it? what about those 3rd gen mexicans? can they fly a flag since they are technically not foreigners?

as for the comparison to flying a US flag in other countires...
thats apples and oranges. no other country has the history of being an immigrant country like the US.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 PM

268 posts, read 948,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
What our American solidiers are fighting and dying for in Iraq and Afghanistan has absolutely nothing to do with protecting our freedom of speech back in the United States. American interests in our current foreign wars are based on economic and geo-political implications, but let's not pretend that the Taliban has any impact on the Bill of Rights.
I don't recall saying our soldiers were fighting in Afghanistan or Iraq, those aren't the only wars that have been fought by Americans, what I'm saying is if you want to be an American act like it, adapt to our ways and stop expecting us to adapt to yours, waving a foreign flag and talking a foreign language does nothing to help ease the tension that has been building up towards immigrants as of late, a lot of you support them waving their flag but at the same time you probably support what Arizona is doing, which i don't, I just want this great country of ours to be respected before any other, if you want to wave your flag and dance in the street go back home and do it, I'm sure they apreciate it there.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:23 PM

268 posts, read 948,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
so if its not foreigners (like in the case of many jersey italians) is it ok? or do you just hate it when foreigners do it? what about those 3rd gen mexicans? can they fly a flag since they are technically not foreigners?

as for the comparison to flying a US flag in other countires...
thats apples and oranges. no other country has the history of being an immigrant country like the US.
If you were born here then you are not an immigrant, maybe your family that moved here but not you, have you ever heard of anyone flying an American flag in China or North Korea, I doubt they would live to tell about it., some of these posters on here are trying to come off as politically correct, when they feel the same way I do, if I where to move to another country I wouldn't fly the American flag, to me that would be disrespectful, I know you've heard the saying "It's not where you're from, It's where you're at".

Old 07-27-2010, 07:28 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramell View Post
What about people of European decent hanging Italian, Irish, French, and German flags on their homes? What about Italian owned restaurants were the owners and workers speak Italian? No one ever bats an eye at that. But if it is a Mexican flag people get all up in arms about it. I wonder why?

italians arent trying to take over and and bring every single italian to the states likje mexicans

if americans moved to italy the italians would want the americans to respect their country

how many italians are sending their people over to the states to make anchor babies
an italian-american perspective is much different from a mexican-american perspective in the US

A MEXICAN-AMERICAN PERSPECTIVE IS MEXICO FIRST

Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Quote:
Am I the only one who gets sick of people moving here from other countrys and waving their home flags in our face and we aren't susposed to say anything about it, I can say that if the hispanic population would stop acting like they are still in Mexico and start taking pride in where they are at and wave an American flag or two more people would think that they actually wanted to be a citizen of this country and maybe try and help them become one, The same goes for Puerto Ricans waving their flags from Puerto Rico, which is a U.S. territory, not a country, if you've ever been to Miami then you'll know what i'm talking about, I'm not prejudice or anything and have no problem with any race, but when you come to America you show her some respect, it seems like talking about your old girlfriend to your new girlfriend all the time and after a while she gets tried of it, When in America act like you're in America, we don't care what country you came from as long as you are productive and helpful in this country and not a criminal.
So if you move to another country for the opportunity to make more and perhaps send you kids to college, you can't still be proud of where you're from? What about all these people that celebrate St Patrick's Day? How is that any different? The one's that are Irish are proud of it and celebrate it. What about Oktobereft? The German's that live and celebrate love this country and they love their homeland. So who cares if you have another flag? It doesn't mean you don't love this country. And by the way, does flying another flag make you less productive or a criminal? I don't think so.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
If Puerto Ricans want to fly their flag, great for them, hell we stole their country. Same goes for Hawaiians. Same goes for Mexicans in the Southwest, which by any standard of morality known to civilized men ought to belong to the Mexicans in the first place. (I'd be laughing my ass off if they took over the Southwest and started deporting the 'illegal' whites.) Same goes for a lot of the Native Americans, although many parts of the Plains and the East were settled by fair and reasonable treaties, not war.
I didn't steal anyone's country. I was born here, to LEGAL Americans.

I think the OP means those who come here AGAINST THE LAW, & fly other country's flags & DEMAND welfare, free medical, and DEMAND we speak the language of the country the abandoned. If they love their home country SO much, why don't they stay there & work together to change things, rather than sneak into another country against the law & demand things be run THEIR way.

I have no objections to people who are here LEGALLY being proud of their heritage & displaying a flag or whatever, but then you don't see many other nationalities except Mexicans demanding the US change & cater to them,now DO you? When's the last time ya heard "press 1 for English, 2 for German, 3 for Greek, 4 for Japanese....

Sheesh don't see why this is SO difficult to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies