Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Slo County Sheriff's deputies violate 4th amendment rights of Matt Hart KCCN.tv Part 1

This recent controversy deserves to be seen in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:55 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
He should sue the crap out of them.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:15 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
This recent controversy? I have some problems with this presentation claiming it's violating citizens rights.

- who was the complainant, and what was the nature of suspected crime? I have indications in that video they were anticipating a violent encounter for unknown reasons.
- if violence or immediate threat to life or safety of another is suspect, it does override the requirement of a warrant. I have no earthly clue why they felt the need to be in his house... maybe they thought he shot someone? Again, information missing.
- this is standard procedure for many years now and characterizing it as a 'malicious' act presumes these officers knew the man and called in the complaint themselves for the sole purpose of harassing him. That's utter bs.
- IF you have a problem with established police dept protocol, you have every right to petition the law to get it changed but you do not have the right to defy law enforcement officers in the course of their job.
- NRA supports law enforcement. It does not whine about how officers carry out their duties specified by protocol.
-Freedom isn't free. Suck it up.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:40 AM

744 posts, read 1,209,866 times
After watching the video, I was OK with what the police did up to the point where they took his house keys. Since they went on a call for shots fired they needed to search the house to make sure there were no injuries or deaths. That should have been the end of the search. I would be interested to know if 2 1/2 acres is enough land to be sighting in a rifle in that part of the country. I know in texas you need to have atleast 10 acres. If the officers would have stopped at the plain view search this would have been in my opinion a nothing story.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:12 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
After watching the video, I was OK with what the police did up to the point where they took his house keys. Since they went on a call for shots fired they needed to search the house to make sure there were no injuries or deaths. That should have been the end of the search. I would be interested to know if 2 1/2 acres is enough land to be sighting in a rifle in that part of the country. I know in texas you need to have atleast 10 acres. If the officers would have stopped at the plain view search this would have been in my opinion a nothing story.
I think their conduct was a little gruff agitated by the fact the man said he couldn't hear them. They could have put more effort into de escalating but it's a petty grievance. The way the narrator goes on you'd think they impounded his house and sold his weapons on richoh statute because they were miffed.

Most people have no idea what they're looking at in this video because they're clueless about a cops job. Abuse of authority should be taken seriously, and leveling that charge crying wolf one too many times tends to encourage abuse of authority in the end. Bad idea.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:48 PM

YouTube - Slo County Sheriff's deputies violate 4th amendment rights of Matt Hart KCCN.tv Part 2

Part 2

Old 07-25-2010, 02:49 PM

YouTube - Slo County Sheriff's deputies violate 4th amendment rights of Matt Hart KCCN.tv Part 3

Part 3

Old 07-25-2010, 02:59 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,581 times
Too many things in play. Is he a convicted felon? pot farmer? We dont know.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM

Freedom isn't free, suck it up? harborlady...what do you think freedom is? The NRA does not support cops like this. And if I find out they do, then I'm done with the NRA. They'll never get another dime from me.

I live in this county. It was completely legal to shoot in that unincorporated area. Target practice is common place there. In fact the main Dep. in question Darren Murphy lives in that community. He knows that shooting is MORE than common there. Plus when he got the call he said, "I'll arrest him for whatever I can find". And no, the deputy and this man did not know eachother. So this guy wasn't considered "trouble" in that community. Think about it. If a crazy guy is running around with a gun possibly harming people. It won't be too hard to find something to arrest him for. The dep. lives there, to me, that tells me he wasn't expecting the worst. But he went in there like it was a SWAT situation. I'm sorry, I don't want that kind of law enforcement. Those guys make us LESS free.

harbolady...these deputies are on tape trying conspire or think of reasons as to why they into the safe. They're on tape trying to circumvent the 4th Amendment, after they find out all the guy was doing was target practicing. The charge of negligent discharge was thrown out. Because he did nothing negligent.

Petty grievance? I don't think so.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Nope. Not a convicted felon, not a pot farmer. Regular guy. The cops had the address, but they didn't know who he was. Like I said. Every Tom, Dick and Harry and their sisters shoot guns in this area. It's more than common. Believe it or not, in this part of California is a cultural norm. This happened in a community named Jardine. It's east of the city of Paso Robles, CA. The main deputy is a transplant there from Los Angeles. So I'm pretty sure he has a hard on for the fact that his neighbors around him are able to legally shoot their guns. As long as they're at a safe distance. In which this man was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies