Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do freedom loving tea partiers want to throw away the 1st amendment?
Fear and xenophobia (some help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia) 38 61.29%
Other 24 38.71%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This group could have purchased property elsewhere in Manhattan, but focused on a potential landmark building which stood in the shadows the towers once cast. They chose a building which was struck by 9/11 debris. Why not purchase property several blocks north of Park Pl? Most people would not have issues with an Islamic center located further from GZ.
Why build it there? Why not? They shouldn't have to cater to those who are making up silly stories that this is going to be a terrorist recruiting center. If that was a case you and everyone else would/should be against ALL mosques in the world. But its not you guys just like being paranoid.

Quote:
Try again. It is CORDOBA HOUSE ISLAMIC CENTER AND MOSQUE. It will be run according to Islamic tradition. Anyone will be free to visit, however the only people who can pray there are Muslims.
Bold: Says who? Obviously not the founder. See this thread for the link to the article where the founder explains what it really is (In the OP) and then provide me information where he says this whole thing will be run according to Islamic tradition and where some official of project says it is a Mosque. An area for prayer doesn't make a Mosque. If that is the case then every Muslims person's home is a Mosque because Muslims pray at home also. If a Christian sits down on a bench and prays the rosary does that automatically make that bench a place of worship and can be called a chruch?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ot-mosque.html

Red: See my post in the same thread I provided above as to why the fact that there is an area for Muslims to pray is actually a favor to all non-muslims that are there. Also even if there is a room are you trying to also say only Muslims can use the facilities there like to pool and other commodities provided? If so can you provide proof of this?

Quote:
Try again. It is approx 200 meters from Ground Zero and close enough that the building was struck BY debris from the planes the terrorists flew into the Towers.
He doesn't need to try again, you just rephrased what he said. Its 200 meters AND at the same time (in a different way of looking at it, in terms of blocks instead of meters) two blocks away. Find ground zero on google maps, then find the site where this community center is being build count the blocks, and you will see he had it right.

Quote:
There is also the question as to where the financing came from. The developers are being less than forthcoming. One key player's wife (Daisy Khan) is the niece to a former leader in a radical Islamic center in Westbury -- just outside NYC.
Since when is it require by law for the proprietors of a certain establishment to have to provide the budgets for and where they get the money for what ever they are building. Its none of anyone's business as to where the money comes from. Because people are paranoid though they think it is a requirement for this building to go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 08:35 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Let me fix that for you. . .

It is a 15 story COMMUNITY Center for ALL denominations of people, including non-"believers", where there will also be space for prayer.

You're right.

It's not a mosque.

It's an Isalmic recruiting center.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You're right.

It's not a mosque.

It's an Isalmic recruiting center.
Yeaaahhh. (that was sarcasm)

Lets see proof of your claims that this is an Islamic recruiting center, if this isn't just one big claim you pulled out of who knows where. Oh while your at it you might also provide proof that ALL mosques are Islamic recruiting centers. And how do they go about this said "recruiting"? They go out on the streets and hand out flyers that say free cake and punch for converting? I'd wouldn't mind seeing those flyers (if thats how they apparently do it) just for a good chuckle.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Aren't the tea partiers hell bent on "restoring" our country to strict constitutional rule? If so, how can so many of them be against building a community center or place of worship on privately owned land anywhere in this country? All I've seen are arguments that Saudi Arabia won't allow Christian Churches, but is a Christian version of Saudi Arabia really what these freedom-loving constitutionalists are aspiring to??

How come so many tea partiers are willing to throw their principles out the window by either opposing the free exercise of religion or working to establish their own as the state sponsored one?

Maybe I'm missing some bizarro-world excuse that shows that opposing the free exercise of religion is actually pro-constitution (a la "Liberals are the real racists"). Help me out here.
Its strange that people think Tea Party is "one" person or group or whatever... Is every democrat the same as a Biden? An Obama? A Kennedy? What myopic glasses you have to think that ONE person's Tea Party is every other Tea Party... if you are going to slander groups, at least slander the right one instead of generalizing everyone and then trying to marginalize them... it ain't working... I am too smart for that... others may not be... why you choose to try some underhanded tactic like this to marginalize groups... such a political move.. great more rhetoric coming...

Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its strange that people think Tea Party is "one" person or group or whatever... Is every democrat the same as a Biden? An Obama? A Kennedy? What myopic glasses you have to think that ONE person's Tea Party is every other Tea Party... if you are going to slander groups, at least slander the right one instead of generalizing everyone and then trying to marginalize them... it ain't working... I am too smart for that... others may not be... why you choose to try some underhanded tactic like this to marginalize groups... such a political move.. great more rhetoric coming...
I believe the OP was speaking in general. Everyone knows there is PLENTY of generalizations in the forum and even in this thread by conservatives. You would not believe how many times I have read "All you far leftist wackos...." or something along those lines. You would not believe how many times I have personally been put into the "liberal box" and proved my way out of it quite easily.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Yeah you know me.

This is reported all around. And last time I checked, the Tea party express has quite a voice in the Tea party movement, am I wrong?

Here is another place where it is reported, (do some research about one of the voices of your little "movement")

Tea Party leader Mark Williams says Muslims worship a 'monkey god', blasts Ground Zero mosque

How about you do some research JonKnip.

Didn't they cover the expulsion of the Tea Party Express organization from the Tea Party Federation on MSDNC all last week?

The Federation expelled the entire organization because they refused to cut all ties with Mark Williams.

I can't believe a better informed liberal hasn't tried to keep you from posting post after post that reveal you have no clue.

Nice jobs libs. Way to take care of one of your own.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,371 times
Quote:
Don't know, but it would be god awful stupid and that "man" should get all the anger (if any) that would be coming to him, because an act like that would be solely to provoke.
God forbid you should offend or provoke them.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
You actually proved me right with that post. I asked if I was wrong when I said the Tea party express has a large say in the tea party. The title of your article is Tea Party Express Mark Williams booted from NATIONAL organization ranks. So much for this (Tea party express) just being a local thing. Your not a National organization and don't have quite a bit of say in a National movement.

Also this is just a publicity stun preformed by the Tea Party express, kicking this guy out of the ranks. They could careless what he said and the only reason they are doing this is because it became nationally known that this is what he said, and they were just covering their asses. IF the tea party was really offended by this Tea Partiers would be coming out and condemning someone who was in their ranks, and was national known as one of the tea party "leaders."

What it proves is that you have been embarrassing yourself with post after post about Mark Williams receiving support from the Tea Party movement when he and the Tea Party Express were expelled LAST WEEK by the Tea Party Federation. Furthermore, it proves facts are irrelevant to the politics of race the left has embraced in order to avoid discussing the failure of their policies.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
How about you do some research JonKnip.

Didn't they cover the expulsion of the Tea Party Express organization from the Tea Party Federation on MSDNC all last week?

The Federation expelled the entire organization because they refused to cut all ties with Mark Williams.

I can't believe a better informed liberal hasn't tried to keep you from posting post after post that reveal you have no clue.

Nice jobs libs. Way to take care of one of your own.
First off the screen name is JohKnip, not a big deal but just realized it and it frustrated me.

Also its MSNBC, and no I didn't see that because I don't watch MSNBC as often as you think I probably do. I don't praise anyone like the right wingers salivate over Beck and Hannity.

Now that I have been informed of this, it doesn't really make much of a difference if the Tea party federation, expelled the tea party express and Mark Williams or not. Until the actual individual tea partiers come out and condemn Mark Williams for what he said, what the Tea party federation did doesn't matter. For all I know, the Tea party federation is just covering their asses because what Mark Williams said got out into the public eye and didn't want to look bad. As I said until individual tea partiers come out and condemn this guy for saying what he did, I see the tea party federation's actions as completely insincere.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Excellent summation. My addition would be this... civilization stands on agreement of being obliged to get along. Islam is not in service to that standard. I have not seen Islamic leadership take those steps into peaceful coexistence without them trying to lawyer or bully their way into a redefinition of civilization antithetical to our constitution. Christian church has the same problem in good will discussions, but two of a kind, they're each respectively abusing authority via politics.

Amish have an extreme position yet found their way to peacefully co exist respectfully. The strictest Jews in Brooklyn also found their way to be distinct in our culture but not of it. The common thread-- personal responsibility and not issuing demands upon the masses to conform to personal ideology. In the Muslim argument is the expectation that the world be rebuilt to accommodate them when they could just as readily adapt to what exists as have all others. They're disrespectful to the rights of others in this regard and the nonsense arguments of pomp and circumstance shouldn't be everyone else's problem.

Long bloody history up to present tense... on the whole of things I've not seen that coming from Muslim leadership. Their persistent sloppy handling of boundary issues indicates to me they aren't mature enough to handle multi cultural interface. This is not to say we've been perfect in minding our own boundaries but at least we put forth the effort. Individual adherents conduct themselves without incident often and it will never make the 6 O'clock news. Good christians don't either but most know they exist. Islam hasn't had that track record anywhere it's been.

The problem happens when religions are permitted to interfere in politics, and leadership commands their people harass others. Render unto caesar is a command in the bible that does make adherents subordinate themselves to local law but this equivalent is absent in Islam. By their own Koran, the broader context of sharia law, they have declared themselves unfit to participate in western culture because it does not lay down the fundamental respect for the rights of all others. Until those interpretations are debunked by clerics there's nothing to discuss in the same entrenched position Palestinian people put themselves when they denied Jewish peoples right to exist.

When it's Westboro Baptists crossing a line, it's clear to all who needs the attitude adjustment. When it's Muslim, the fall back argument is persecution complex, and another Al Sharpton is the last thing the planet needs. I cannot help but feel that until that maturity level is reached, we should not be thinking in terms of inclusiveness, but rather, strictly minding fences as Ralph Waldo Emerson spoke of in relation to neighbors. Inclusiveness is a voluntary contract that they do not seem ready, willing and able to comprehend.
Spot on!!!! Excellent post!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies