Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No they don't, because when government ration care, like what the Cameron government is doing to the NHS, and what Obama's new Medicare appointee wants to do, is that placing human life above money? Oh, I guess it isn't a free meal after all if people have to suffer due to government cutbacks. Right there I just gutted your argument that government is compassionate and places human life above money.

You know why health care is so expensive in this country? Because of government interference in the marketplace. The moment the government started to guarantee healthcare to certain segments of the population, the more insurance companies raised rates to milk off the government. Government responds by subsidizing even more and companies milk more off the government. Now, like housing prices, everything is hugely inflated due to government induced inflation. Take away the government foundation and the floor will cave in, stabilizing prices. The whole point of ObamaCare is that, as Obama knew, government creates inflation and his healthcare reform will cause massive price inflation just like what happened with RomneyCare, forcing the government to make the now politically viable option of NHS style health care in which everyone now better hope the government doesn't cut back on health care because the government WILL limit private alternatives. Socialized medicine at work fellas
No, healthcare is so expensive in this country because of INSURANCE COMPANIES! Insurance companies that took decisions about what the patient needs away from the patients and away from the doctors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
No, healthcare is so expensive in this country because of INSURANCE COMPANIES! Insurance companies that took decisions about what the patient needs away from the patients and away from the doctors.
no health care is expensive today because of government. government mandates on what insurance has to cover, taxes, required level of payouts, and government not pay doctors and hospitals the same rates that private insurance companies pay, which forces doctors and hospitals to charge higher rates to the private insurance, which forces the private insurance companies to pay out more money, which raises insurance rates, which causes people to drop private coverage and go on the government rolls, which means the doctors and hospitals get less than before, which means they make that up with higher billing to the private insurance companies, which causes higher premiums, etc. it is a real catch 22 situation.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 AM

305 posts, read 655,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Liberal media myth. If their healthcare is so superior then why do so many foreigners come to the US for specialized medical care they can't get anywhere else?
That is a fallacy. You are implying that because a procedure is not available somewhere else, the healthcare system is therefore excellent across the board. That is not true. There are 2 kinds of health tourists in the U.s. The first come from countries with an underdeveloped infrastructure, but have money. These would be countries like Saudi Arabia. Then there are people who genuinely can not get the treatment they seek in their own country, even though it might be a developed one. But do you see those people go to the local hospital in Kansas city? No. They go to the very few teaching hospitals that excel in research. Why do they excel in research? Not because doctors across the united states provide a level of care that is unsurpassed anywhere else. No, because academics and research are much better funded than anywhere else. So the best medical researchers work in the united states, because that's where the funding is. It doesn't give any information about the rest of the country.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:43 AM

338 posts, read 310,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Liberal media myth. If their healthcare is so superior then why do so many foreigners come to the US for specialized medical care they can't get anywhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Many euros come here for medical care to save their lives

Influx of medical patients into the US in 2008: 60'000-85'000

Outflux of medical patients from the US in 2008: 750'000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Whats amazing is all the half truths and false statements in this post
You don't say...

Old 08-01-2010, 11:17 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Americans fleeing to other countries for affordable health care is on the rise. That is not disputable.

Lower costs lure U.S. patients abroad for treatment - CNN.com

Next year alone, an estimated 6 million Americans will travel abroad for surgery, according to a 2008 Deloitte study. "Medical care in countries such as India, Thailand and Singapore can cost as little as 10 percent of the cost of comparable care in the United States," the report found.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
Everywhere I go, people say they want our schools to improve. They petition for better health care and better roads. Many desire universal medicare because we've seen the faults in the current system we have. Teachers, police officers, firefighters, social workers, military personnel, and government workers all want higher salaries. Countless people demand these amenities, yet nobody wants to pay the tax dollars to support them. Isn't that ironic how so many want these services, yet no one wants their taxes raised?

How else do you think they'll come about? Do you honestly think Bill Gates, Ted Turner, or Rupert Murdoch will spend their earnings to support these programs like this? Isn't ironic how few and far between Americans are willing to pitch in? Further, I many Americans harp about taxes in European countries and Canada being sky high. Newsflash! Most of those nations have superior medicare and education compared to ours. It's amazing how they've managed to keep their compatibility for so long even after they had their economies destroyed during World War II.
Like all liberals, you are far too impressed over money. (Like the adoring Clinton fans swooning over the big lavish wedding they had). It's only money money money with you people. Spend more!!! and more!!

Well guess what - money isn't everything. You can realize that much money is already being spent on schools, roads, hospitals and expect some quality from it already.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
My parents were born in the U.S.

My grandparents were legal immigrants.

I don't care why the illegal aliens are coming over here... they are criminals. They are breaking the immigration laws of the U.S.
My parents and grandparents were born in the US, as was one of my great-grandparents. My other gr. grandparents came here before there were any quotas. There was no illegal immigration then b/c all immigration was legal, and in fact was until 1924, less than 100 years ago.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:37 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Only in America can one post in weird colored bold strange fonts and be accepted. I've heard some countries they stone you for that kinda stuff.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:38 PM

453 posts, read 457,501 times
What I find most intriguing about immigration is how our government grants automatic asylum towards immigrants who come here from Cuba. All they must do is step foot on our soil because they're considered refugees escaping persecution. Meanwhile, we consider the Mexicans criminals when they arrive in America for the same reason which entails finding a better life for themselves and their children.

Needless to say, there's widespread corruption in Mexico and rampant poverty. Those migrant workers can make more money here in an hour than they could an entire day in Mexico. They want a better standard of living and quality of life just as the Cubans and many others do. For those of you who complain about immigration in America, I have but one question to ask you. Do you live on an Indian Reservation, and if so what tribe do you belong to?

YouTube - Run To The Hills

Last edited by daugenstine; 08-01-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 PM

453 posts, read 457,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Only in America can one post in weird colored bold strange fonts and be accepted. I've heard some countries they stone you for that kinda stuff.
What has that to do with our conversation? Are you an anthropologist? Did you do any consensus and travel around the world asking people whether or not they do that? I'm using fonts and colors because I like to. There's nothing wrong with creativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies