Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:04 PM

453 posts, read 455,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacecat View Post
You want to slow down and damage the gang problem? Then decrease poverty. Decrease poverty by providing excellent education. Take a peek at Harlem Children's zone. They have a webpage.

Another one: Anyone remember Garfield High School in East L.A.? A high school on the verge of losing accredidation and full of future criminals and gangs. All of the experienced Garfield teachers said those kids couldn't learn algebra let alone calculas. However, the dynamic and magnetic Jamie Escalante proved otherwise, and he did it in a very short time. I heard the man speak way back in 1990 and he was absolutely charismatic, but he expected a lot from his students. He believed in them, their abilities, and didn't cut them slack.

You want to deminish gangs? Demand excellence in the inner city schools.
Now that is about the most plausible thing I've heard anyone say all day. Bravo! You're right on the money. The kids must be willing to work and accept responsibility. We need teachers like him to push the students to work harder and make something of themselves.

We can't always expect someone like Michelle Pfeiffer to go into inner city schools and turn them from dropout factories into Blue Ribbon Award winners overnight, but the teachers can make a difference.

And I agree with the other statement about police protection in better neighborhoods. There's an apartment complex in Houston by where a friend of mine lives that I now call "The Riffraff Riviera." The place has gotten so bad, that the HPD now has police cars driving around the entire block 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
I missed the part where you said anything about gangs too which is why i'm asking you what this has to do with gangs? THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD IS GANG PROBLEMS IN AMERICA! WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT HAS NOTHING DO TO WITH GANGS PROBLEMS IN AMERICA?

OH I SEE BECAUSE THE WHOLE CONVERSATION PERTAINED TO RACE AFTER YOU POSTED SEVERAL TIMES 'HEY I'M NOT RACIST I KNOW IT'S NOT A RACE THING' NICE TRY THOUGH!
The Reginald Denny beating in South Central Los Angeles was indeed gang-related.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Please forgive me for not sifting through 8 pages of commentary, but after giving the title some thought I would like to say this, when young people can find something other than gangs to give them a sense of self, identity, belonging, and believe it or not, love street gangs will fall by the wayside all on their own.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:25 PM

544 posts, read 1,056,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
The Reginald Denny beating in South Central Los Angeles was indeed gang-related.
Ok so you just threw Oj, Micheal Vick, Al Sharpton, Jesse and Maxine in there because.... yeah you're right your done.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Please forgive me for not sifting through 8 pages of commentary, but after giving the title some thought I would like to say this, when young people can find something other than gangs to give them a sense of self, identity, belonging, and believe it or not, love street gangs will fall by the wayside all on their own.
Don't worry! You didn't really miss much except for a lot of bickering and people trying to stir up trouble. You're statement is valid, but to attain all those assets, the youth must first get plentiful guidance which many of them are clearly lacking thereof. Nonetheless, one might surmise that's how many of them are susceptible to gang activities.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:27 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
True. But when they won't get that at home does society have an obligation to feel the void?

Should we have more youth centers available?
Should there be more programs?
More mentors?

Or is it a personal problem that can only be fixed by personal responsibility?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
True. But when they won't get that at home does society have an obligation to feel the void?

Should we have more youth centers available?
Should there be more programs?
More mentors?

Or is it a personal problem that can only be fixed by personal responsibility?
I imagine it's all of the above. Perhaps there should be more youth centers and mentors. I'm glad you're at least thinking. There are others here that tried making this whole thing about gangs a racial issue. Maybe they need to get over that, and start taking personal responsibility as you mentioned. Those could be the foundation of the solution to our gang problems in America.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:58 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
I imagine it's all of the above. Perhaps there should be more youth centers and mentors. I'm glad you're at least thinking. There are others here that tried making this whole thing about gangs a racial issue. Maybe they need to get over that, and start taking personal responsibility as you mentioned. Those could be the foundation of the solution to our gang problems in America.
The only person I saw trying to make this a racial issue was you.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:03 PM

Next let's see if we can figure out what to do about motorcycle gangs because I consider them to be in the same category as street gangs. They're into the drug trafficking, prostitution, and racketeering business.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:04 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,073,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
The only person I saw trying to make this a racial issue was you.
He is talking about the fact that I said something about how his solution was to take every kid that lives in the ghettos and send them to a special school over 1000's miles away to make them assimilate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies