Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 11:17 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
That's not true. There are scales at the race, and your car cannot weigh more that a ceertain amount. It's one of the few set rules regarding pinewood derby. So as long as yoru car wasn't over that weight limit, you weren't breaking the rules at all.

The fact that you LIE to claim being a cheater, boggles the mind.
The amount of wood I hollowed out made up for the weight - the trick was the positioning of the weight - causing it to accelerate faster from the start than the other cars.

I also used some high-tech lubricant for the wheels to cut down on friction, and made the car very aerodynamic (which also cut down on the weight, my car was half the height of the others).

Being smarter than the other kids isn't cheating. But I could see how someone might think so.

Your mind must be easily boggled, I think.

The other kids painted their square, clumsy, badly designed cars in very pretty colors though. Considering I put in a LOT more effort into designing a car that would win (and more importantly, learned more), do I not deserve the trophy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The "poor sucker" is the guy who didn't know that weights are allowed in the Pinewood Derby. And all along you thought you were cheating and were proud of it. It seems to me that you should have stayed in the scouts longer. Your lack of attention to detail and propensity to enjoy breaking the rules undoubtedly has followed you into adulthood.
Welcome to my ignore list.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 AM

372 posts, read 221,107 times
Quote:
That's not true. There are scales at the race, and your car cannot weigh more that a ceertain amount. It's one of the few set rules regarding pinewood derby. So as long as yoru car wasn't over that weight limit, you weren't breaking the rules at all.

The fact that you LIE to claim being a cheater, boggles the mind.
What else would you expect from a liberal - the TRUTH?????? Liberalism is nothing but one huge concentrated LIE.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM

372 posts, read 221,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Welcome to the Universe's Ignore List.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
The amount of wood I hollowed out made up for the weight - the trick was the positioning of the weight - causing it to accelerate faster from the start than the other cars.

I also used some high-tech lubricant for the wheels to cut down on friction, and made the car very aerodynamic (which also cut down on the weight, my car was half the height of the others).

Being smarter than the other kids isn't cheating. But I could see how someone might think so.

The other kids painted their square, clumsy, badly designed cars in very pretty colors though. Considering I put in a LOT more effort into designing a car that would win (and more importantly, learned more), do I not deserve the trophy?
I think I now understand why Scouts was not a good fit for you.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:

Your statement that "the poor suckers never figured out..." indicates you were trying to convince us that you were doing something the other kids weren't, and it's clear from reading yrou post that you were thinkong the weight was illegal. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ther's an entire industry built around teaching kids how to build these cars, and selling them the products to do so. The hi tech lubricant you used was probably graphite powder, which everyone also knows about.
I's say congrats to you on winning the derby, but I honestly doubt you won it at all, seeing how you didn't even know the rules.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Awesome! Another one bites the dust! When facts are inconvenient, then put the person on the Ignore List! That way you NEVER have to listen to the truth again!

No wonder you didn't survive the Boy Scouts. I, for one, am not surprised at all.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:59 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
I'm saying that your recollection of stripes going down their entire arm while you had so few is completely incorrect for several reasons. There were no stripes. The badges that were issued were not worn on the uniform, for the most part. I'm saying that if yoru recollection on this issue is so poor, we can't really take your condemnation of the organization very seriously, as you don't really knmow what it is.

Further, the fact that a few parents allowed their kids to cheat does not indict the organization they were cheating or the ideals it represents.
If you're saying that the BS doesn't issue merit badges and they're not worn on the uniforms, you don't know what you're talking about.

It appears they use "sashes" now to hold merit badges.

http://www.chron.com/photos/2009/08/26/18041365/260xStory.jpg (broken link)

This is exactly the kind of badge-collecting, elitism that boy scouts promote. Did that kid actually do all that stuff? I have my doubts given my past experience with scouts. You can call me a liar all you want, but I was there and still have the sour taste in my mouth.

And we're not talking about a few parents who cheated the system. The vast majority cheated because that's the way the system was designed. The scoutmasters only looked at signatures in the project books, and never asked to see any finished projects. Let's face it, it's a rare parent who is NOT biased towards their own kid. The boy scouts I remember basically pitted one parent against the other for the prestige of their kid having the most badges, just like that kid above.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:00 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default Scout Oath repels Obama?

"On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey scout law. to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."

It means the scouts are doing fine and don't need the endorsement of the current, one term accidental president who brags of his inheritence and keeps lamenting, "George did it". Compared to the scout's motto of, 'be prepared', I think an Obama visit would be a bad influence.

1959 Scout manual has 8 ads for firearms, one for a bow and arrow and two ads for axes and hatchetts. That should be enough of a violent legacy for Obama to keep his distance. PO learned his lesson about guilt by association from Bill Ayres, Andy Stern and Rev Wright. He can't afford more controversy by consorting with the scouts.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:07 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
If you're saying that the BS doesn't issue merit badges and they're not worn on the uniforms, you don't know what you're talking about.

It appears they use "sashes" now to hold merit badges.

Read this story: Woodlands teen earns all 121 Scout badges (w/video) | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

This is exactly the kind of badge-collecting, elitism that boy scouts promote. Did that kid actually do all that stuff? I have my doubts given my past experience with scouts. You can call me a liar all you want, but I was there and still have the sour taste in my mouth.

And we're not talking about a few parents who cheated the system. The vast majority cheated because that's the way the system was designed. The scoutmasters only looked at signatures in the project books, and never asked to see any finished projects. Let's face it, it's a rare parent who is NOT biased towards their own kid. The boy scouts I remember basically pitted one parent against the other for the prestige of their kid having the most badges, just like that kid above.
Now you're changing the details that you supposedly knew about. I pointed out that the boy scouts, and the cub scouts, never issued STRIPES, which you claimed you had earned, and that the badges they do in fact issue are not worn on the uniform shirt sleeves, as you said yours were. My pointing out these details was suggestive of the fact you didn't know, or recall correctly, anything about the scouts and how they work. Looking up & posting pictures of badges - not stripes - worn on a sash - not the uniform sleeve - doesn't alter your lack of correct information. And you whining that some parents cheated doesn't in any way at all suggest that the organization promotes or condones cheating. MOST of the badges awarded to scouts are actually earned by the scouts. And since you have no information that even hints otherwise, to post the picture of that boy and suggest he didn't earn them is childish irresponsible whining of the worst kind.

There's a difference, by the way, between elitism, and pride in ones accomplishments and the accomplishments of ones friends, which is what most of the scouts in that boys troop likely feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies