Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:26 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Poor = owning a non running "Joadmobile" (from grapes of wrath)
Middle class= being able to pay to have the vehicle repaired
Rich = selling that puppy on ebay for ten grand

LOL, good one ! Singing the song 'Patches 'with gusto .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
My sociologist broke it down this way.

If you are a manager, you are Upper middle class. If you are a professional (you have a college degree, and work in the field that degree is in) then you are either middle class, or lower middle class. You should also own a home, to be considered middle class.

If you don't own a home, and/or you work for someone else with no degree, or live off of public assistance in any way, you are in the lower class.

The upper class was broken down into two categories. Old money, and new money.

Old money was upper upper class. Meaning you never worked a day in your life, you live off of what others made before you.

Lower upper class is someone like Bill Gates, who worked for his money, but is now independently wealthy.

Thats generally how I break it down.

I have friends who make 60,000 a year, but don't own a home, and they aren't middle class.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
61% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck. That includes middle class who are still up to their eyeballs in debt.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:40 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
You can not put absolute definitions on what poor, middle and rich are.

There are people that make enough money to pay their gas, electric, etc but CHOOSE to spend that money on rims for their cars or gambling.

There are people that make enough to pay their gas, electric, etc but still fall behind because they live in a part of the country that has high taxes, etc.

There are people that save every cent they make and live with the bare minimum because they like it that way.

So which scenario is poor, middle and rich. They can fall into any of these scenarios. There is no amount of money or situation that you can give that clearly defines poor, rich, or middle.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If you don't work, you need $3 to $5 million net worth to be "middle class rich" according to columnist Scott Burns.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My sociologist broke it down this way.

If you are a manager, you are Upper middle class. If you are a professional (you have a college degree, and work in the field that degree is in) then you are either middle class, or lower middle class. You should also own a home, to be considered middle class.

If you don't own a home, and/or you work for someone else with no degree, or live off of public assistance in any way, you are in the lower class.

The upper class was broken down into two categories. Old money, and new money.

Old money was upper upper class. Meaning you never worked a day in your life, you live off of what others made before you.

Lower upper class is someone like Bill Gates, who worked for his money, but is now independently wealthy.

Thats generally how I break it down.

I have friends who make 60,000 a year, but don't own a home, and they aren't middle class.

Ridiculous!! No situation fits every person in any group. You can have people making enough to cover the basics but they CHOOSE to spend that money on nonsense. You can have a doctor making thousand but pisses it away gambling. Just because someone went to college that does not make them part of any economic group just like not going doesn't. My father in law has an 8th grade education but owns a multi-million dollar auto body business but you would never freakin know it by looking at how he dresses and the house he lives in. All this does is set up stereotypes and that is never good.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Ridiculous!! No situation fits every person in any group. You can have people making enough to cover the basics but they CHOOSE to spend that money on nonsense. You can have a doctor making thousand but pisses it away gambling. Just because someone went to college that does not make them part of any economic group just like not going doesn't. My father in law has an 8th grade education but owns a multi-million dollar auto body business but you would never freakin know it by looking at how he dresses and the house he lives in. All this does is set up stereotypes and that is never good.
Then he would be lower middle class, or, if he doesn't own a home, then he is upper lower class.

Thats the point. You can't set up a class system based on earnings, but only on status within society.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:12 PM

27,144 posts, read 15,322,979 times
In a sentence;

"Poor me, they are taxing the middle class out of existence."

Old 07-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Then he would be lower middle class, or, if he doesn't own a home, then he is upper lower class.

Thats the point. You can't set up a class system based on earnings, but only on status within society.

No it is not by status either. What you might consider a high status I might not. I am pretty sure that you would not consider my FIL a high status because he looks like a grease monkey but to people that know him he is held in high esteem. There is no way to set absolutes.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:51 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
No it is not by status either. What you might consider a high status I might not. I am pretty sure that you would not consider my FIL a high status because he looks like a grease monkey but to people that know him he is held in high esteem. There is no way to set absolutes.
That's the point. To other some other people, we were obviously poor. To me, I've seen much poorer people. There is no absolute. It's in the eye of the beholder, and the beholden. It's even relative to where you live. One place's poor is another place's "OMG LOL you Dang Sho' PO'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies