Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:32 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If Obama wasn't lying about how much money would be taken from those who made under $250,000, and he was, then many small businesses would be expanding and hiring people. What do you consider a small business? Does it have to be an incorporated business to be large or what? I really don't understand why a small business that comes out with under $500,000 profit should have to pay higher taxes so they can't expand and hire more people. Is this really that hard to understand?
1st off very few small businesses have profits near $500,000. The vast majority are under $250,000. Secondly a tax increase on a business of less than $7,500 (which is what it would be for a business making $500,000) is not going to determine whether or not they hire more people or expand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Business don't pay taxes. Consumers do when they buy the goods which are already priced to cover taxes.

Businesses will expand when demand for their products increase, regardless of any other economic considerations.

Putting money in the hands of businesses is a sure way to line the pockets of the wealthy. The only sane way to approach the problem is to put money in the hands of people who need to spend it to live. That will increase demand for products and crank the economy again.
When will you understand that not all small businessmen are in the corporate world you hate so much? If they aren't incorporated they pay income taxes and not all of the smaller ones who want to expand are there yet.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:33 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
The stimulus failed primarily because it provided too much money for pork and the rest, that got spent, went to governments to build infrastructure. Not a bit of that money was aimed at helping businesses recover and we still haven't spent at least 1/3 of that money.
I don't know how you can talk so much about the stimulus and be so utterly and consistently wrong. Around 40% of the stimulus was tax cuts and infrastructure spending was only about 7% of the whole thing. In fact, I wish you were right because the big problem is the stimulus was to heavy on tax cuts and to small on actual infrastructure spending (which Republicans claimed was nothing but pork ).

The hard truth is tax cuts provide almost no short term stimulus where as building bridges and other infrastructure directly and immediately employee huge numbers of people while in the long run increase commerce thus helping the economy grow.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I keep a copy of the Constitution by the computer at all times. Would you like chapter and verse?
You know I have one of those right here with me too. Get started with chapter and verse so I can look up what you are talking about.

Why do you question Jefferson? He was the founder of the Democrat-Repubicans, you know?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Repealing the tax breaks on business' aren't going to help if you think the already in place tax breaks have not. Some businesses may be maintaining. No room to create. The economy sucks all around and not just at the job seeker/unemployed on their 5th UE extension level.

What's the solution? Shove some mandatory health care package for employees up their rear ends while repealing "tax cuts" therefore taxing businesses out of business and/or putting more people on the UE line?
These people don't understand what has happened because of Obamacare but they will have to learn soon enough.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
My favorite program was when they overpaid (on purpose!) for a bunch of used cars, then CRUSHED them!
Wrong again. They did disable the engine but the rest of the cars were eventually parted out by junk yards and, yes, the program actually did remove thousands and thousands of smog belching low mpg cars from the roads and replaced them with new cleaner and higher mpg cars. It was a pretty clear example of a success.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
1st off very few small businesses have profits near $500,000. The vast majority are under $250,000. Secondly a tax increase on a business of less than $7,500 (which is what it would be for a business making $500,000) is not going to determine whether or not they hire more people or expand.
In other words, they are lying about why they don't expand their businesses? I guess you don't like businesses small or large. Who provides the jobs? You haven't seen what Obamacare is requiring of businesses, I take it.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
How can that explosion take place if the government stops spending money right and left like a drunken sailor?
You need to read the thread more and comment less. You can start by carefully reading and rereading post #27 as your question was already answered.

Here, I'll even quote it for you since you seem to be having such difficulties. Hopefully you can manage to actually read it on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
That is the unfortunate bottom line. The more taxes are cut the deeper in debt the country will go because it is impossible to cut enough from the budget to pay for these massive tax cuts for the rich. Right now, without cutting any taxes, we'd have to cut ~1/3rd of the entire Federal budget including social security, medicare, and defense. Neither party will cut Social Security or Medicare because old folks are the largest voting block and any talk of cutting those programs makes the old folks raging mad; since SSI and medicare make up about 50% of the budget that would mean we'd have to cut every other department by 2/3rds just to balance the budget via spending cuts.

Does anyone think we can cut every department by 66%? Nope? I didn't think so. That means tax increases will have to be part of any serious effort to balance the budget. Anyone who says other wise is either a liar or a fool.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:47 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Business don't pay taxes. Consumers do when they buy the goods which are already priced to cover taxes.
That's called a sales tax. Which gets paid to the state. By the business.

The OTHER taxes a business pays are corporate taxes, half of an employees SS, half of their unemployment, etc., workman's comp and taxes on ANY PROFIT left over from that good bought. And if you OWN the property your business sits on, you pay property taxes - at a commercial rate. And if you don't own the property, you pay rent. Not a tax, but is paying the taxes for the landlord.

Quote:
Businesses will expand when demand for their products increase, regardless of any other economic considerations.
Not even close!!! Just because a dollar comes in to a business doesn't mean a business made a dollar in profit under "any other" economic considerations.

Quote:
Putting money in the hands of businesses is a sure way to line the pockets of the wealthy.
No. It's a way to ease the loss of profits in a recession that will prohibit maintaining employees.

Quote:
The only sane way to approach the problem is to put money in the hands of people who need to spend it to live. That will increase demand for products and crank the economy again.
The reality is that if businesses go out of business those people won't have money to spend (because they won't be employed - or making much less elsewhere) so there will be less of a demand for anything.

Not every business that employs people has an employee base of 100,000 and higher and is a national chain with a presence in every state in the union.

It's all good when someone shops at a Home Depot or Lowe's for a cheap something instead of going to the mom and pop shop hardware store. But it's all bad when those same huge corps get tax breaks for keeping people employed.

People need to make up their minds.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:52 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
In other words, they are lying about why they don't expand their businesses? I guess you don't like businesses small or large. Who provides the jobs? You haven't seen what Obamacare is requiring of businesses, I take it.
Well, I would say you not them.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies