Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents of severely obese children be charged with child abuse?
Yes. (explain) 17 41.46%
No. (explain) 20 48.78%
No opinion. 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:48 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Pappy there are many medical conditions that can make people fat, thyroid conditions, etc; as well as medications who have side effects such as gaining weight.
This is about 'severily ' obese kids though, not just a little obese . No child will ever get ' severily ' overweight from any illness .

if you break a kids arm or otherwise injure that child you go to jail , this is a lifetime handicap put on them .

I can't even whip one of my grand kids butt now but I can send it to school to be infected or feed it like a pig to be slaughtered .

I'm sorry but this is wrong .

Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
No, it's not abuse. Abuse is hitting and beating or molesting your kids. It's bad, but come on now. Next thing you know yelling at your kid will be considered abuse.
Did you read the definition? "SERIOUS PHYSICAL or emotional harm." Yelling at your child for whatever reason isn't going to cause SERIOUS emotional harm, unless it turns into verbal abuse. "COME ON WHY DID YOU SPILL THAT MILK!" not verbal abuse. "YOU LITTLE ****ING S*** YOU JUST SPILT MY MILK. YOU BETTER PRAY YOU DON'T DO THAT AGAIN OR ELSE YOU WON'T LIKE ME!" Thats more like verbal abuse. I hope the difference is clear.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,316,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Memphis, less than 10 percent of obese people can link it to a disease or genetics...sorry.
That's the hard truth. Everyone wants to claim it is not their fault but if they'd just stop cramming stuff in their fat little mouths and do some jogging then they wouldn't be fat.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,119 times
I hesitate to cry child abuse because the state of many foster care systems can introduce children into even worse conditions.

HOWEVER, if we're talking about severely obese children....the parents are absolutely abusing their children and setting them up for a lifetime of trying to either reverse the foundations of unhealthy eating habits or continuing the problem and inheriting weight-related diseases like diabetes.

I don't buy into the concept of people being genetically predisposed to being severely obese. Overweight, yes. But what disease makes it possible for one to be 100-200 lbs overweight while they only eat salads and exercise on a fairly consistent basis?

I also agree that those living in poverty are less likely to buy healthy foods because the price for vegetables and fruits is higher than the $1 value menus offered at places like McDonald's. And don't even get me started on the cost of organic foods.

Last edited by ChocLot; 07-27-2010 at 08:34 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Is this abuse or medical? I can't tell from a blog but mind your own business has limits too. She's in grave trouble.

YouTube - You Got Any Popcorn?
Seems like abuse to me.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
People here need to realize child abuse and child neglect are the same thing.

You have a good point there, because any overweight child, that is fed fast food, or junk food by their Parents is doing an injustice to the child, is a form of abuse, and neglect at the same time. I am talking about children who are at least 75 pounds overweight. But an obese child, sure can lead to an extremely obese adult.

Last edited by california-jewel; 07-27-2010 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 08:28 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I hesitate to cry child abuse because the state of many foster care systems can introduce children into even worse conditions.

HOWEVER, if we're talking about severely obese children....the parents are absolutely abusing their children and setting them up for a lifetime of trying to either reverse the foundations of unhealthy eating habits or continuing the problem and inheriting weight-related diseases like diabetes.

I don't buy into the concept of people being genetically predisposed to being severely obese. Overweight, yes. But what disease makes it impossible for one to be 100-200 lbs overweight while they only eat salads and exercise on a fairly consistent basis?

I also agree that those living in poverty are less likely to buy healthy foods because the price for vegetables and fruits is higher than the $1 value menus offered at places like McDonald's. And don't even get me started on the cost of organic foods.
Great post! I totally agree that yes, genetics can cause a person to be more on the hefty side, but no, genetics cannot cause a person to be obese. There is a fine line between being 20 pounds overweight and being 200 pounds overweight.

Frankly, I'm kind of sick of the "but it's in my genes! I can't help it!" excuse. If you eat nothing but salads and exercise often, you're not gonna be 100 pounds overweight, or even 50 for that matter. Take my SIL for example. She came from a family of very big-boned people. Not morbidly obese but definitely not skinny. For a long time, everyone had always pushed her to lose weight, but it was always responded with.."well my family's big! I can't help being overweight." Finally, she started realizing what poor eating choices she was making, so she decided to make a lifestyle change. She started out being 5'9 and 205, and at the current time she weighs probably around 160ish. She'll still always be a bigger boned lady, but overweight? Heck no!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You have a good point there, because any overweight child, that is fed fast food, or junk food by their Parents is doing an injustice to the child, is a form of abuse, and neglect at the same time.
If you are being sarcastic (can't tell) the poll says SEVERELY not just regular obese. Also the Child abuse and neglect is the same law. What Is Child Abuse and Neglect?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Why is it, being fat is the last thing in the world you can pick on? You can't make black, Jewish, etc jokes; that is politically incorrect. But damn, you can slam on fat people all day long and it's totally acceptable.

I don't agree with your analogy. Because of the fact, that sometimes obese children, don't make it to their adult years. Teaching children at a early age, the importance of a good diet, and exercise, is not hurting then in any way, may save a life. Small children that are very obese, is also not good for their heart, in a health standard, no way is this in any way good for a child, to have so much fat. Learning the importance of a good diet from when children are young, can't hurt in any way, may help the child as they get older.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:31 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post

I don't buy into the concept of people being genetically predisposed to being severely obese. Overweight, yes. But what disease makes it impossible for one to be 100-200 lbs overweight while they only eat salads and exercise on a fairly consistent basis?

Good food is not more exspensive . Cabbage,potatoes, carrots and dried beans ,lentils, peas are very healthy and cheap . Oatmeal or grits is better than cerial .Rice is also cheap .

Pocessed food is not cheap .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies