Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:47 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
I think you are underestimating me a little, however, I am unsure as to how I would actually react b/c it's never happened to me; but I've got things like that planned out. Our alarm system immediately notifies the police and fire dept. so at least I'm good on not having to call anyone.

The alarm is way better than trying to dial out yourself. In your OP you said "You can guarantee I'd be on the phone with the police" I would just never want to trust my life to that because I think most would panic when in that situation. Especially being woken from a dead sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 01:55 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
If I am not at home when someone breaks in, then I won't be there to get scared. I can't shoot someone if I am not there.

That may be a broad definition, but I live alone. One night I heard a noise in the back and then someone walking on my back porch. So, I get my gun and go toward the back and tell them to leave or I am going to shoot. I was scared. If they had kept coming in, I would have shot them.
I would have felt they intended harm, since they kept coming.
This is a scenario when harm, whether broad or not, I am talking about.
Breaking into my house when I am there, regardless for what reason, will get a warning then a 9mm. The law allows me to do that.
Does the law require the warning first? Or are you allowed to 'shoot first and ask questions later'?

Not like there's any way to verify that you warned first - it's between you and a corpse.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
For anyone who feels the same way answer me this.........

As previously stated about 30% of burglaries, thefts, robberies are people just looking for an adrenaline rush. The great majority of that population are kids to young adults. (ie 15-30)

I would say that most everyone at around that age are looking for some kind of "rush". I know I was. I'm not saying that most people are going to be breaking into houses but that is the way for some so, would you feel the same way if you found out that your son/daughter was killed because he/she broke into a house "for fun"?

Any links to back up your first paragraph?

Sorry but most kids don't just break into homes "For Fun"

I think most kids know that breaking into a home is a serious crime,I never remember saying " Lets have some fun tonight and break into someones house". Most younger kids are looking to drink a few beers or smoke some pot and the kids who think breaking into a house is fun I'd bet already have a series of other problems!

30 years old,sorry but you'd better know right from wrong by then!!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Does the law require the warning first? Or are you allowed to 'shoot first and ask questions later'?

Not like there's any way to verify that you warned first - it's between you and a corpse.

I think every state is different. Here you have to make sure they're in your home and your life is threatened or something stupid like that. All I know is that if I'm home and someone's there who shouldn't be,chances are they're not going to live to tell their side of the story.I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 and yes,a corpse cannot testify!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 PM

406 posts, read 495,733 times
Many posters state that they don't know what they would do if someone breaks into their home. I may be a little nutty but I have thought out and practiced what I would do if someone breaks into my home. It should be just like a fire drill, although I think a home invasion is probably more likely. I would highly recommend a CCW class for anyone who owns a weapon, you really need to know the gun laws before owning a gun.

In the case of a home invasion I won't take any chances, if you break into my place you won't be walking out. I have a CCW and I carry everyday.

Arizonas gun laws are very liberal and you are permitted to use lethal force if someone enters your home.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:19 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
This is kind of an answer I'm looking for.

I'm also curious to know what the law says.

The castle law (depending upon the state) seems to not take situations like this into account so, if I came home, saw some intruder in my house and decided to get out and confront them which results in the use of deadly force, could I be prosecuted since I didn't try to avoid the confrontation in the first place?
Texas and NC for sure, allow for deadly force if you come home and find someone unlawfully in your home.

If they are in your home without your permission, they are in the act of a feloney by being there. If they are robbing you they are commiting an act that allows the use of deadly force against them.

I dont know about other states but I suspect most states with "castle doctrine" laws are about the same.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:19 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
I think this artical covers some of the gray areas of Pa. gun laws.---PA's Laws on Self Defense « floor9.com (http://floor9.com/2008/06/20/pas-laws-on-self-defense/ - broken link)

Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
I would get the laws for your State directly from the State, not a website.

If you are interested in a CCW permit you could take that class and learn the laws there.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:49 PM

313 posts, read 406,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambini View Post
Many posters state that they don't know what they would do if someone breaks into their home. I may be a little nutty but I have thought out and practiced what I would do if someone breaks into my home. It should be just like a fire drill, although I think a home invasion is probably more likely. I would highly recommend a CCW class for anyone who owns a weapon, you really need to know the gun laws before owning a gun.

In the case of a home invasion I won't take any chances, if you break into my place you won't be walking out. I have a CCW and I carry everyday.

Arizonas gun laws are very liberal and you are permitted to use lethal force if someone enters your home.
Yeah well, then you have a state like Illinois, where there is no CCW class, since there is no carry. No open or conceal carry, so for those it don't help suggesting a class for CCW

Old 07-30-2010, 04:31 PM

406 posts, read 495,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metye7 View Post
Yeah well, then you have a state like Illinois, where there is no CCW class, since there is no carry. No open or conceal carry, so for those it don't help suggesting a class for CCW

You always have the choice to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies