Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

We should not be importing scientific or engineering people until the unemployment rate for our own scientists, engineers and programmers is nearly zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Bloomberg is among a group that is pushing for a North American Union. That is a combining of Canada, America, and Mexico.
Why would Canada want anything to do with us? THey seem to be doing fine on their own.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:04 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Bloomberg is among a group that is pushing for a North American Union.
I'm trying hard not to laugh out your lame conspiracy theory.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Mayor B-berg has his head somewhere where the sun don't shine

Old 08-06-2010, 06:11 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I saw Bloomberg this morning. He was talking about legal immigrants, and yes we do need more, because our educational system sucks and we are not turning out the kinds of engineers and mathematicians we need. History and English majors we have out the wazoo, we need people with technical degrees.
I agree completely. I think we should stop all immigration, legal or otherwise, for 25 years. This will give us time to fully assimilate the flood of immigrants that Ted Kennedy started in the mid 60's. But that would mean educating our own people to do the work that needs to be done. In order to do that we need to disband the teachers' unions which have a stranglehold on education resulting in the undereducation of our citizens and the need to import talent. We have plenty of talent here. Let's educate it, train it and use it.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has strong feelings about immigration and the controversial Arizona law. He says that the United States is actually losing the best and the brightest people to other counties.

Mayor Bloomberg: U.S. Needs More Immigrants, Not Fewer (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/national/mayor-bloomberg-us-needs-more-immigrants-20100728 - broken link)
Well, here's an idea for NYC Mayor Bloomberg and AZ Governor Jan Brewer. Instead of putting border guards on the Mexican border, the government can pay for Greyhound buses to line the Arizona border. Let's say Wednesdays will be "Send an Illegal Alien to NYC Day." Once a week the buses will pick up those who ran across the border, criminals welcome - no questions asked, and drive them to the NYC Port Authority Bus Terminal on the condition that they live in NYC or go back to Mexico. I'm sure Mayor Bloomberg can raise or invent some new taxes to pay for the strain they will put on public services and to pay for the expansion of Rikers Island.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:30 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I always felt that granting citizenship should be at least partially based on what someone can bring to the table, not just who was next in line.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I saw Bloomberg this morning. He was talking about legal immigrants, and yes we do need more, because our educational system sucks and we are not turning out the kinds of engineers and mathematicians we need. History and English majors we have out the wazoo, we need people with technical degrees.
Higher Ed is fine. Many foreign students come here to attend our Universities for technical degrees.

Why become an Engineer these days unless you plan to move to India and/or China to get a job in your profession.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:31 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
I think we need less Michael Bloombergs.

Less Bloombergs, less pro-illegal politicians, less illegals, and less immigrants as a whole. UNLESS they are the BEST and brightest, and stay in the country to use their skills for this nation, AND willing to assimilate.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:52 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
I'm sorry did i here we need more! that is a major problem is it not, We do not need this kind of thinking, isn't it less is more. We do not need more illegals in this Country, they are a problem, for those that simply choose to not see this as a problem, they are the problem, we need a solution. How can we deal with more, when we cannot even deal with the ones already here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies