Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 10:41 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No, I am not confused. The mistake is thinking that something fundamental, cellular even, changes about you when you become a Christian (the idea of being "saved" falls into this category). It doesn't. It's all functions of the brain, and those functions can and do change.

I understand that Christians need to do this though, it's what makes them "real" as opposed to ever other faith or belief system. And even better that it can't be seen or proved or anything...it just IS. You only have someomes word that they have been saved, there is no hand stamp or anything. And when they decide they were wrong and become unbelievers it's the same thing, you only have their word. Some just choose to believe one and not the other becasue it's the only thing they have that makes them feel "real". It's facinating.
If you say so, some day you will see the error of your ways , I hope it is sooner than later. Romans,14:11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Yea ,another 'recovering Catholic' sees the light.
I don't believe Jesus hated anyone and I find some of the hateful Christians very scary.
Good For You Anne!

Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I do not trust Christians that claim that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Ok so they can pray all they want. Does not change the fact that there are Christians out there that are fine with it.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I don't believe it is possible to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Catholicism is part of the problem in my view. If she want's good ole' fashion religous teaching, then she should step on over to the Baptists or Methodists. She can check her coat with a pocket full of condoms at the door and no one will judge her at all. We just want her to enjoy the thrills of knowing Jesus. That's it. But if she's gonna do that, she must acknowledge the Bible as the word of God. And that includes an rejecting homosexuality as right and just. Hate the sin. Not the sinner. Yes, it's possible to do that.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:27 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What's the problem?

I thought you guys liked fictional based books?

hardy-har-har!!!! Gosh that's funny! !!!!! You tried to make a funny about the Bible!!!!!! Did you have someone help you with that? Or did you come up with it yourself?

In all honesty, if someone is a Christian, they don't just "quit" being one. The Bible explicitly states that if a person stops being a Christian, they never were one to start with. If we also look at the type of books that she writes, I don't know why a Christian would be writing that drivel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Yea ,another 'recovering Catholic' sees the light.
I don't believe Jesus hated anyone and I find some of the hateful Christians very scary.
Good For You Anne!

I also agree that we shouldn't be hateful. I'm curious who are these hateful Christians that you are observing.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
You need to understand what happens when you become a Christian
I do. Most people are "born into it", they don't make a conscious choice even though people like to say that the kids to choose at a certain point but really, they have no choice when they are young and many do deconvert once they hit college age and above. You should ask yourself why that is...without blaming liberal atheist college professors or whatever.

And believe it or not I've sat next to many people in church who answered the alter calls, who prayed and cried and felt that they were saved. Some are still active Christians, many more or not. There is nothing there but a state of mind. THAT is "what happens". THEY BELIEVED IT!!! How do you explain that?

You can't trust your salvation. It's scary.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:06 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I also agree that we shouldn't be hateful. I'm curious who are these hateful Christians that you are observing.
Well we can start with the pro-life Christians who advocate wanting to bomb abortion clinics regardless of people inside.
Come on Calvin read some of the posts on cd from those who call themselves Christians and claim to love this country.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:19 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

In all honesty, if someone is a Christian, they don't just "quit" being one.

The Bible explicitly states that if a person stops being a Christian, they never were one to start with.

I also agree that we shouldn't be hateful.

Being a Christian is between God, and you, no one else matters.

When I meet my maker, only Jesus can help me.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I do. Most people are "born into it", they don't make a conscious choice even though people like to say that the kids to choose at a certain point but really, they have no choice when they are young and many do deconvert once they hit college age and above. You should ask yourself why that is...without blaming liberal atheist college professors or whatever.

And believe it or not I've sat next to many people in church who answered the alter calls, who prayed and cried and felt that they were saved. Some are still active Christians, many more or not. There is nothing there but a state of mind. THAT is "what happens". THEY BELIEVED IT!!! How do you explain that?

You can't trust your salvation. It's scary.
At the end of our lives we will know what we can trust, I pray that you will see the light before then.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I do not trust Christians that claim that.
That claim what? That they are fine with homosexuality? I am a christian and I AM fine with it. I will not say I understand it but I could give a crap who you (general) sleep with, marry and life your life with.

If you chose to not trust Christian that feel this way that is sad for you because you are closing yourself off form some very good people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies